2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
living the dream
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

when I bought my civic (some time ago now!) it had a nokia hands free kit fitted (brodit holder/charger). I've always had an iphone since owning the car so never used it (besides in an ex with built in hands free!). It used to beep when starting the engine etc so I unplugged the little nokia/brodit control box that was wedged under the glovebox compartment. I've since lost this little box and was a little bored today and wondered if I could use the remaining wires to power a USB extension lead so I've got a permanent iphone charger?

I just need a bit of help with the wires, I've attached pictures.

I understand I need 5v for the usb extension lead.. I've got a multimeter (although I can't remember how to use it.. :D)

can someone identify what all these wires are?! one looks like the power lead for the box I removed but I dont know what voltage it is as I could potentially just split that and wire my blue usb extension to it?

thanks

Attachments

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Depending on what the box did, it'll either be a 12v or a 5v feed.
I'd get a multimeter on it and check before hooking up your phone though...

Chances are someone on here will have the answer.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Do you know where the wires start/terminate? In another box? Back of the HU?

If you can trace them back, the should help identify them..

·
living the dream
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for quick responses.

I what setting would I need my multimeter on please? I've not use it for ages. would I need to strip the wires back or just probe the end of the black power plug?

I've not traced the wires behind the HU as I was hoping to avoid removing the dash at the moment until I get around to purchasing the xcarlink and the video switcher box. basically the wires that are on the floor in my pictures above lead behind the head unit somewhere.

cheers

Attachments

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
DCV 20. You're going to have to identify the + and - connections on the power connector and then probe one to VΩmA and the other to COM.

·
living the dream
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for that.

right I probed the black wire and nothing, it looks like an audio jack though! there must be another little box behind the HU!

the good news is that I probed the square block (red and black wires) and its reading about 11-12v, so I need to get buy a 12v to 5v stepdown gadget in order to have USB power?

Attachments

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Have a look for 12v phone chargers (if that's what you want) or 12v USB adaptors. I've got a sneaking suspicion they're mostly going to be cigarette socket type-things but can be easily made to fit your needs.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Have a look for 12v phone chargers (if that's what you want) or 12v USB adaptors. I've got a sneaking suspicion they're mostly going to be cigarette socket type-things but can be easily made to fit your needs.
+1 But get a good quality one as the cheaper ones can cause buzz/interference when audio through aux in (I've got a griffin one and that's fine) and 2A rated... this will then be able to charge an iPhone/Smartphone better.

·
living the dream
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just had a quick look around the house and found this, could I butcher this to work?

Attachments

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
+1 But get a good quality one as the cheaper ones can cause buzz/interference when audio through aux in (I've got a griffin one and that's fine) and 2A rated... this will then be able to charge an iPhone/Smartphone better.
Excellent point.

I just had a quick look around the house and found this, could I butcher this to work?
Looks good to me!

·
living the dream
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys. I got wired in so I've now got a permanent iphone charger wired into the glove box! :)

I'll route it to side of gearstick once I've got a decent cradle, any suggestions?

I did notice that the adapter 12v to 5v (has an LED on) its drawing power when the ignition is off though (ie, its always lit up). Although its only a tiny LED it shouldn't drain the battery should it?

·
iVTEC, do you?
428 Posts
I thought the car switched off the cig lighter after it is turned off?

·
iVTEC, do you?
428 Posts
sorry, my mistake.

not a cig lighter feed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts