2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody unfortunate (stupid) enough to read What Car? (yawn :( ) magazine? My subscription to the rather good Test Drive magazine got transferred to What Car? when Test Drive went belly up.... Obviously I've cancelled my subscription but still have a few issues to run.

ANYWAY... their current edition is their car of the year issue. Any guesses what it is? Audi TT roadster perhaps, Civic Type-S, Lexus IS, Porsche Boxster... Nope! The Vauxhall Corsa 1.4!:D :D :D . Yup, better than anything else, according to them (don't make me larf). Civic didn't even get a mention anywhere at all. Their family car of the year - bloody flabby overpriced and largely unreliable Golf again. The only Honda to figure anywhere in their car of the year was the rather antique Accord saloon; no Jazz, no new CRV and no Civic. Yes, I know that What Car? readers (and journalists) need a kick up their backsides and that they've had it in for the Civic from day one but honestly...

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
Yeah I am thinking of cancelling my whatcar as well

if you read Autoexpress they love the civic !! and Honda

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Blimey, I've just cancelled my subscription to 'Car' and 'Auto Express'. I was going to move over to 'What Car' due to 'Test Drive' no longer being around; don't think I'll bother now. :(

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I've just had a look at What Car's website and compared the ratings they give for the Corsa and Civic.

Behind the wheel they give only 3 points to the Civic but 4 to the Corsa. I know which wheel I would sooner be behind. Hell would freeze over before I'd even think of buying a Corsa.

Space and practicality both get 4! Eh? Do the rear seats also fold up in the corsa/ Can you get a full size bicycle behind the front seats in a Corsa?

Equipment both score 3. What no sat-nav, HFT, voice commands?

Safety and security Civic 5 Corsa 4

Performance Civic 4 Corsa 3

Ride and handling Civic 3 Corsa 4

Refinement Civic 3 Corsa 4

I definitely won't bother to buy What Car if that's their conclusions!

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
Seems a bit soft to cancel a mag. just because they didn't nominate your car as "Car of the Year".
Sorry But I agree with ALT I'm afraid who ever tested the Honda / Honda's needs their head checked Other sites are full of praise for

Honda's Whatcar on the otherhand seem to have something against honda at the moment

·
King of the rodeo
4,831 Posts
Well whatcar is extremely boring. Was disappointed when car magazine changed their look, just hasn't been the same since! Topgear, autocar and auto express for me please.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
They must be on some pretty potent drugs. I have a Corsa (my L car) and it is utterly horrid to drive. Really.

I can only imagine they have not driven both cars, because there is no way that a crappy Cors is as practical, is better handling and has more refinement.

There is just no comparison batween the cars, i cannot, repeat - CANNOT believe what they are saying.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Seems a bit soft to cancel a mag. just because they didn't nominate your car as "Car of the Year".
I didn't cancel for that reason. They can nominate what they like. I'm more than happy with my Civic.

I cancelled Car Magazine as I didn't like their new smaller layout style for the publication and Auto Express as I no longer liked their specification layout so I was looking to subscribe to another magazine. Having driven a Corsa once (that was enough!) I voted it as the car designed by an engineer with a hatred of motoring.

Personally I couldn't give a monkey's about Car of the Year as everyone is different and different cars suit different people. My point was that (in my opinion) if their testers rate a Corsa better than a Civic then I don't have much faith in their results. So why should I have a regular subscription to their magazine.

I'll have a look around and see what's out there. I may even end up going back to Auto Express.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
What Car gave gave the Civic a poor review from day one, I read there review way back last October and it didn't like it at all. Although all the things it said were a problem I have never found a problem with.

Surely people are not going to cancel their membership just because What Car don't like their car lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd agree if that were the case (I've as many little niggles with my civic as the next man/woman :D ) but it's the stupidity of flagwaving the crappy Vauxhall Corsa as the best car this year which is the nail in the coffin as far as my subscription goes... Mind you, if you like What Car? magazine, you're welcome to it! Let me know and I'd be happy to turn on Gardeners Question Time on R4 for you, and get your pipe and slippers ready...:rolleyes:

·
Armchair Commander
26 Posts
If its -Cheap Thing With An Engine Of The Year then the "Cursa" wins hands down. I think this guy gives a reasonably fair review of any vehicle he drives. Its an Irish site so don't hurt yourselves laughing when you see the crazy prices we have to pay.

http://www.twincam.ie/

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
We are talking about the NEW Corsa here. How can they choose the Civic, when it didn't even enter the equation ?. The competition is getting better and better.
To miss out on 5 star with ncap can't have helped. The number of warranty claims must have cost Honda thousands of pounds.
Do you think the motoring world doesn't know about this ?.
The Corsa was selected over far better cars than the Civic. e.g Porsche Cayman S.
But they factor in all sorts of data before coming to a decision.
So lets not sulk, the Civic might do better next year !. ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't think anybody is "sulking" because they didn't select the Civic.
I think that most people's concerns surround the inconsistency and inaccuracy of What Car's reviews.
I don't care what they "factor in" or don't "factor in", there's no way in the world that the Corsa should be the car of the year.

I believe, like most others here, that What Car's review of the Civic is way out of line compared to other Car mags. To give the Civic a three star rating is nonsense. The average reader review rating is four stars which is much more representative.

Furthermore, if you look at the "againsts" of their overall assessment they say: "The Civic suffers from jiggly ride quality, cramped rear seats and poor visibility".
Sorry, but I just can't accept any of that except that you do need to get used to the visibility, but I wouldn't classify it as "poor".

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Honda's Whatcar on the otherhand seem to have something against honda at the moment
Yeah, someone obviously has one and is sick to the back teeth of taking it back to a dealer to have it fixed! ;)

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
What Car's first review of the Civic called it "A noisy bone-shaker". And even though they praise the Accord, it seems to be through gritted teeth, always adding, "Ridiculously expensive, poor cabin materials, not up to the standard of others in the class" etc. Does it matter? Not at all. At least not if it's an honest opinion and not the result of a hidden agenda.The views of the users...on a site like this...are more relevant to prospective buyers. It obviously matters to Honda, but huge multi-nationals can take care of themselves. And do.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
not up to the standard of others in the class
Think they are right about that....

Civic is far beyond....

And yeah, I really love the corsa, especially when they are fading away in my mirrors.. [smilie=tongue.gif]

1 - 20 of 37 Posts