2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm looking at a used Civic, probably around a 57 or 58 plate, possibly a type R, what's considered a high mileage? Should I have any worries looking at something with 60k+ miles for example?

Thanks,

Dave.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Hello,
Iv'e had mine for a year now 1.8 petrol 57 plate and its done 111000 no problems at all! it sailed through the MOT too! i love it i no its not a type R but still a civic. :D

·
Hairy Northerner
165 Posts
Honda engines are bullet proof so shouldn't worry at all about the high mileage.
Maybe bullet-proof, but not rock-in-the-middle-of-the-road-proof! :)
I managed to break one!

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
For what its worth my current EP3 is on 65k and drives like a new car, it was a honda approved one so i know its had all the stamps.

Its one reason i love honda, the engines are just awesome as are the gearboxes.

·
Registered
389 Posts
<p>My 1.4 has just turned 126k and it still battles on. Most modern cars are still good into the mid-hundreds before they start becoming a possible knacker. My Civic is still great apart from the suspension is getting knocky but thats more down to the enormous amount of speed bumps around the Leamington area. </p>
<p>By modern standards, it's hard to classify a high mileage motor these days. It used to be 12k PA but whether that is still the bench mark or not I have no idea.</p>
<p><font size="1"><i>Posted via Mobile Device</i></font></p>

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
One thing I have noticed in a long career of car buying (mostly used) is that the two most unreliable cars I have bought were low mileage. Whether it's co-incidence I don't know but think of the typical low mileage car - mostly (not all I admit) doing short stop start stuff with the working parts not getting warmed up.

I had a VW Bora once - ex fleet car with over 55,000 miles in two years and it was a cracker. My last car - a Golf with 15,000 miles on the clock after 3 years - was an absolute money pit.

·
Registered
389 Posts
One of the worst motor's I ever had was a brand new Belingo. 2 engine fires, massive oil leak, cracking injector pipes, oil pressure warning switch. It had it's own parking space at Citroen in the end. I replaced it with a Land Rover Discovery that was nine years old but never broke down. It's look of the draw with cars. It's all down to how the a treated by the previous owners.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I think there were 180000 miles on my prelude when I sold it, and it's still going strong. Hence why I love Hondas!

·
Hairy Northerner
165 Posts
I think there were 180000 miles on my prelude when I sold it, and it's still going strong. Hence why I love Hondas!
Whenever I went over to visit family in Alabama, I always used to use my cousin's old Accord ('95 model). On one trip, I took it over the 100k mark. It was subsequently sold to a sales rep who put another 150k on it in less than 3 years travelling between Alabama and New Orleans 3 or 4 times a month). It is currently bashed and battered (but thats 3 years in New Orleans traffic for you) and even took a beating in Hurricane Katrina but is still going strong. It looks like a bag of nails, but has only broken down once, and that was when the negative lead to the battery had corroded right through. The guy who was driving it at the time got it fixed at a motel in the middle of nowhere by an old guy who fashioned a battery lead from a section of household copper mains cable!

/hereby endeth the late night story!

In summary, Honda's are generally reliable, like all other marques, but there are always going to be some dogs out there, thrown together on a Friday afternoon / Saturday overtime. It's just with Honda... there aren't as many :)

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Not a problem at all. High mileage ones just mean they've cruised on the motorway for hours doing nothing but sitting at the same revs. Low mileage ones are more worrying, maybe only used for track days, around a city never warming up etc.. infact why did i buy a low mileage one :lol:

Edit: Nothing to do with hondas but my mates suzuki swift made it to 190k and the gearbox started whinning otherwise fine :eek:

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
@ 60 000 miles a Honda engine is just ran in :)

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
My First 8th Gen (55 Plate) has 120,00 + Miles on (wife now has it) and still goes like a rocket (2.2 Diesel)

Mr Current Type S GT 2.2 has 65K on it and yep still love her to bits and no real Issues from new

Go BUY !

·
Go with the Flo...
1,139 Posts
A 1990 Accord and a Civic (not sure that year) clocked over a million miles on the same engines! That says a lot about Honda engines.

100k is when I start to look at a car as high milage.

Mine is on 64k. I ask myself. Will i ever get to 100k before i sell it? the answer is no. So i dont worry about the milage.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
whenever you look at a car try and find out what the service intervals are, eg 12000miles or 12 months. Basically if its done over 12000 miles a year average it could be classed as higher than average but not high miles. when your doing double the miles a year i'd personally class as high miles.

its personal preferance. japanese for me on highish miles no problem, anything french over 10000 miles i'd steer clear of :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.