2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used any products to treat the plastic side edges? Unfortunately we dont have any macguiras products here in Finland, i'll try Korrek's plastic protector.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was getting streaks from the wax on the plastic skirting but a quick wipe of a cloth with some dashbord spray on it lifted it right off. I can't remember which brand it was. There were two different ones I tried and they both seemed to work really well. I'll see if I can get the names for you tonight but I reckona any of them would be okay to use.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I have not treated the side edges with anything more than the shampoo, I imagine with time the plastic may dull a little. To be honest though the Meguiars rubbed off the pastic really well, even from the black strips in the roof and the window rubber.

Have you tried the following website, these guys are the Finnish dealers for Meguiars. Maybe they have a number of retail outlets, or can let you know if there are any. Their website does have the Meguiars logo on it, although I think looking at the site they are more wholesalers than final sellers, maybe you could set up a shop for Meguiars.

www.hlgroup.fi

You could also try the link from www.meguiars.com to the international websites, there is a European link and I think you can buy it online.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
I use some green slime from Autoglym - works really well (can't remember what it's called, bumper stuff or something).

·
Banned
72 Posts
Good morning, I used to use a Gel product called "Back to Black" from Simoniz on the Honda CRV easy to apply and was simply as wipe it on. It took out all polish and sampoo marks out plus covered small scuff marks you can also get the back to black wet look, i only tried the origonal stuff and can reccommend it - not sure where i bought if from but he is a link.
http://www.holtsauto.com/products/index.html

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Pottsy,

Yep, I've used the Auto Glym green ectoplasm stuff too. Creatively called "Auto Glym Bumper Care".

Good results and decent longevity compared to other applications I've tried.

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
A bit off post but still on plastics - Just noticed to-day while cleaning the car that the outer skin of the tailgate is all plastic and it got me wondering how many panels on the civic are plastic other than the tailgate and front/rear skirts ?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tested korreks plastic shine. Works like a charm and removes the white patches which you can get from wax or washing fluid.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pikkumies, in case you want to have Mequiars products you can order them from www.mequiars.se. Prices are in SEKs and language on the site is swedish but that shouldn't be a problem as we finns know the language so well.... :)

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
BlackPearl said:
Pikkumies, in case you want to have Mequiars products you can order them from www.mequiars.se. Prices are in SEKs and language on the site is swedish but that shouldn't be a problem as we finns know the language so well.... :)
Javisst ja! Tack så mycket.

I've been looking for a place that sells this stuff.
And by the way it's http://www.meguiars.se/

Edit:

Allan40alt, not really no.

The Meguiar's UK Online shop can only ship orders to UK postal addresses. "UK Offshore" excludes the Channel Isles. If you require delivery to the Channel Islands please call our Customer Care Team on 0870 241 6696 for a carriage quotation.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I remember using an Amor All product specifically for bumpers/exterior plastics/tyres. Gave everything a greasy/wet look/black sheen for about a week before wearing off.

After using for about 6 months on my Audi 80, my bumpers actually started fading to a dark grey colour. Whereas they were black before I started using the stuff. The outer walls of my tyres started cracking prematurely too.

Basically, I think that, as the product dried out in sunlight, it made the plastic more brittle which, in turn, eventually gave rise to a weathered, faded look. Of course, the only way you could get them black again was to apply more of this stuff (though, in effect, repeat applications were simply making the problem worse).

As I think that even AutoGlym stuff works along the same lines, I now don't do my exterior black plastics at all.

·
Registered
975 Posts
autoglym my fave

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Has anyone tried 'Back to Black' using a small paintbrush to apply it? I would like to darken and shine the PVC trim on my NHBlack and thought the paintbrush would work well for the grill effect front and back and make it easier to apply under the sills etc. :?:

I tried 'Mer Bumper Cleaning Gel' but it didn't have any affect regarding darkening or shining. :( Although it worked really well on my Mini Cooper S Works PVC trim around the wheel arches. The PVC trim on the Civic seems to be more oily and it may be best left alone. Any suggestions :?:

ps: I've just tried 'Back to Black' but the oily surface of the PVC seems to prevent an even application. :(

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just got some of the Chemical Guys new look trim gel from Tim at http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk Amazing stuff , you just have to use a very small amount on a foam app pad for excellent results. The best product i've found for factory fresh look plastic trim yet.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Just joined after finding the site when searching google - been browsing through all the topics since, wifey getting upset I'm stuck on the computer all the time!!

Fantastic site - and I agree the Bumper care from AutoGlym is fantastic and plan using on my CIV when I collect it next week, opted for 2.2 - now hearing stories of oil usage (1ltr every 1k) is this true?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts