2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks just want know people's feelings on E10 v E5 petrol, (supermarket and other) ever since I bought my car in September been using Tesco E5, what's everyone is else doing and thoughts?

·
Heading for the naughty step
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
2,800 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never tried E10 yet, but E5 being about £1.55 a litre was think of putting E10 in but sticking to shell or bp
This is good reading
It vpower all the way for me
I used to use supermarket fuel on the auris, been using Tesco E5 but thinking of using shell E10 bout 15p cheaper per litre times 55 litre tank...about £7 cheaper fill up
Sainsbury's super unleaded(97RON)(e5), its the same price as Shell/BP etc E10.
I work for Sainsbury's don't think we do that one at our store but I'm gone for 5am 🤣

·
Registered
2010 Milano Red FN2 Type R GT #R22063
384 Posts
50/50. I tend to fill up with E5 Tesco, then when i get to half, fill back up with E10 from either Tesco or shell. If it's a longish drive all at once (by longish i mean anything over 80 miles, I work all over the country so regularly do anything up to 1,500 miles a week), I fill up only with E5. I do drive an FN2 Type R though, so I'm a bit more cautious with it being a high revving engine.

·
Registered
Champ White Type-R GT
2,290 Posts
shell/bp E10 full fill E5 Super shell bp half tank rinse and repeat. for same reasons as squibble i find its smoother on bp but shell often cheaper. I prefer how the car feels on BP, with Esso it is punchy but sounds rougher if that makes sense, the BP gives best mpg and smoothest pull with E5 or E10 tbh, i prefer E10 as it leaves less carbon on bettys white bum bum :) more efficient burn so cleaner exhaust pipes also with E10.

rocco got asda fuel never tesco had bad experiences in rocco with tesco & their 99 even though it was mapped and set for 98.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I've never tried E10 yet, but E5 being about £1.55 a litre was think of putting E10 in but sticking to shell or bp

I used to use supermarket fuel on the auris, been using Tesco E5 but thinking of using shell E10 bout 15p cheaper per litre times 55 litre tank...about £7 cheaper fill up

I work for Sainsbury's don't think we do that one at our store but I'm gone for 5am 🤣
Sorry slightly off topic... How did the Auris compare to the Civic? As I considered getting one...

·
Registered
Champ White Type-R GT
2,290 Posts
Sorry slightly off topic... How did the Auris compare to the Civic? As I considered getting one...
ive driven an auris hybrid before, my dad used to have one, sister has the 1.8 petrol GR? i think is it? that was nippy enough. The hybrid was ok too , as long as it was in sport mode, which kinda defeats purpose :p mile sbetter than the pruis hybrid he had before it <shudders> i hated that souless piece of excrement i would refuse to drive it ever.

i swear he only bought it because he felt guilty buying a 97 bentley brooklands 6.7 biturbo church on wheels as his last car toy, still has the old girl. pruis and auris gone he now has one of those Hybrid lexus Suvs same car as the new Rav4 but the lexus version, same there, fine if you leave in sport mode.

i had one of those GR4 auris sport thing pass me in white yesterday, sounded superb tbh, a right burble as is winged past my R while i dilly dallied to work at 60mph, bless on ya go small stuff :p

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
The 1.6 MK1 Auris was the direct competitor to the Civic.

Was that or a Mk5 Golf 1.6 FSI but somehow i ended up with the Civic over those two. I just bought the first decent car I saw...

My Dad has a mk5 Golf which is awesomely smooth but has engine issues (lol coil packs), my Civic has no such issues. Trumped by Japanese engineering!

·
Registered
Champ White Type-R GT
2,290 Posts
The 1.6 MK1 Auris was the direct competitor to the Civic.

Was that or a Mk5 Golf 1.6 FSI but somehow i ended up with the Civic over those two. I just bought the first decent car I saw...

My Dad has a mk5 Golf which is awesomely smooth but has engine issues (lol coil packs), my Civic has no such issues. Trumped by Japanese engineering!
my 2.0 Tsi GT pre-facelift rocco was bombproof 60k miles in 3yr not even disks :) only big thing was the sensor in manifold went a fault in the TFSI units affecting all VAG, £3 sensor, £500 manifold.

mapped to S1 and it was quiet, smooth and went like stink, I took bbad to the Type-rs interior noise when i came back to Civics, took a couple months.

·
Registered
Champ White Type-R GT
2,290 Posts
Yeah maybe more luck of the draw by the time stuff gets really old. Have heard of stuff like ancient Peugeots lasting years....
well the old 505 estate conquered africa they reckon the old 7 seater.

speaking of which i saw a white mint 1.9 205 GTI today :) my best mate had a 309 GTI Goodwood 3 door panaroof too, man i wanted that car so bad. it was an unreliable bucket.

Reactions: Negativvv

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Well when I went to Egypt a few years back it was filled with ancient Euro hatches... Anywhere with sun and heat means older stuff just endures as no rust!

Yes I knew someone with a 309 GTi well into the 90s... Haven't seen anything of that era for ages. Even something like a 206 GTi 1.6 is worth a fortune now. Sometimes I wish I tried to keep my old mk1 MR2 or BMW E30.... Then again I'd have needed space to store them until now!

·
Registered
Champ White Type-R GT
2,290 Posts
Well when I went to Egypt a few years back it was filled with ancient Euro hatches... Anywhere with sun and heat means older stuff just endures as no rust!

Yes I knew someone with a 309 GTi well into the 90s... Haven't seen anything of that era for ages. Even something like a 206 GTi 1.6 is worth a fortune now. Sometimes I wish I tried to keep my old mk1 MR2 or BMW E30.... Then again I'd have needed space to store them until now!
Same with my 72 1302s beetle n 91 corolla gti16 white facelift ...less than 20 AE92 engined gti-16s left in uk mate has a 91 silver/grey one restored same engine as your MK1 MR2 I believe, same era

Reactions: Negativvv

·
Super Moderator
5,303 Posts
shell/bp E10 full fill E5 Super shell bp half tank rinse and repeat. for same reasons as squibble i find its smoother on bp but shell often cheaper. I prefer how the car feels on BP, with Esso it is punchy but sounds rougher if that makes sense, the BP gives best mpg and smoothest pull with E5 or E10 tbh, i prefer E10 as it leaves less carbon on bettys white bum bum :) more efficient burn so cleaner exhaust pipes also with E10.

rocco got asda fuel never tesco had bad experiences in rocco with tesco & their 99 even though it was mapped and set for 98.
My FN2 feels smoother on 97RON than 99.
Morrisons do E5 97RON too.

·
Registered
2013 MK9 pre facelift 1.8 TI. Eibach springs and spacers. Michelin PS4’s. Always run on VPower fuel
408 Posts

·
Registered
2013 9th gen EX GT 1.8 petrol
89 Posts
Ethanol has less energy than petrol, so it makes you go slower and get worse MPG.

Ethanol is hygroscopic so it sucks moisture out of the air and mixes that moisture into your fuel

not corrosive so your engine won’t dissolve but alcohol based fuels should be reserved for race cars who can make use of the properties they can offer. Cars designedto take advantage of ethanol love the stuff but for our normal, boring, run-of-the-mill civics it offers no benefit whatsoever.

phase separation before filling the tank should be the attainable dream that everyone with a car is pushing themselves toward

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.