2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
You guys are wrong the 1.8 does have true VTEC.

VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) is a Valvetrain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia system developed by Honda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to improve the volumetric efficiency of a four-stroke Internal combustion engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The VTEC system uses two camshaft profiles and hydraulically selects between profiles. It was invented by Honda engineer Ikuo Kajitani,[1][2] and was the first system of its kind.

I have never read anywhere that it states that only Type R has VTEC.
Type-R has an Dual OverHead Cam (DOHC) where as the 1.8 has a Single OverHead Cam (SOHC). There's quite a difference i believe between the two.
But in general you could say the 1.8 has VTEC as it has 'lobes' on that cam which get activated in the eco mode. Its just not used to improve power output but rather to minimize pumping losses. So in fact its an eco-vtec vs the much better known performance vtec.

As for the OP's question, i've seen dyno runs from a forum member where he first did a run with the ac on full and a second with ac off. Power outputs were virtually the same upto around 5000 rpm. With the ac on full it reduced power by 10 BHP. So if you're flooring it just when the ac is drawing power, i think you would notice it.

Under no circumstance would it be the lobes switching at 5500 rpm, anything above 3500 rpm (regardless of throttle position) you will be running on the normal cam.

·
Tarmacadam Terror
5,666 Posts
You guys are wrong the 1.8 does have true VTEC.

VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) is a valve train system developed by Honda to improve the volumetric efficiency of a four strock engineThe VTEC system uses two camshaft profiles and hydraulically selects between profiles. It was invented by Honda engineer Ikuo Kajitani,and was the first system of its kind.

I have never read anywhere that it states that only Type R has VTEC.
You guys are wrong?

Nobody said the r18 doesn't have vtec, one person wished (who owns one) it had a more aggressive cam like the k20. The giveaway is the I-vtec decal on the boot same as the rest of the petrol vehicles in the Honda range.

"Powered by dinosaur bones"

·
My VTEC doesn't VTEC
1,110 Posts
You guys are wrong?

Nobody said the r18 doesn't have vtec, one person wished (who owns one) it had a more aggressive cam like the k20. The giveaway is the I-vtec decal on the boot same as the rest of the petrol vehicles in the Honda range.

Lol my spoiler covers that up so it doesn't exist :p

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have an R18, and it's more noticeable after 5000 rpms, but there's no changing on cams and valves there...

It's normal mode is with more "aggressive" cam lobe on...
and when it gets the right conditions (under 3500, little gas...) the vtec "kicks in" and... the economy cam lob engages...

So on the R18, the vtec in means the economy in...

the reasons for the sound and power to change, its the same as any other car, its when the engine has its torque peak, and when it "breaths" better...

I had a 1.5 vtec-e 114hp d15z6 engine, that in many things is similar to the R18 (the d15z6z has eco vtec witch changes from 12v (economy) to 16v at 3500 rpms) and although it changes at 3500 rpm, the engine changes it's sound at 5000 rpm just like the R18...

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
Quite simply the 1.8 does NOT have VTEC like others.

It is more an electronic based system and helps with ECO it is single cam so not vtec

after 5500 it is more powerful due to being in "normal" mode rather than eco

tbh i spend next to no time in eco mode ever

·
Registered
206 Posts
It is more an electronic based system and helps with ECO it is single cam so not vtec
I don't agree on that.
Sure the electronics keeps up with the change, but then, which vtec system doesn't?
and vtec doesn't have to be dohc, simply on dohc it shows more power gains... again just like any comparison on sohc vs dohc...
(vtec sohc engines: D16Z6, D16Y8, D15Z6, etc...)

the vtec is the change on the cam lobs that actuate on different valve modes...
now, it can be used for many different purposes...
the R18 has many economic innovations, has some innovations to make the engine more reliable, but it as also some power innovations suchs as the variable length intake manifolds...
check this out:

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
Don't agree all you want lol it dowsnt have vtec it's mainly electronic and they are facts also diff versions of r18 engines

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
But doesnt the type-R have the same i-vtec sticker? :worms:
Completely different engine and concept

If anyone bothered to research properly they would realise how it works

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Completely different engine and concept

If anyone bothered to research properly they would realise how it works

I was merely replying to you saying that the R18 has i-vtec, but i meant it as a joke.
I know how the vtec system works in the R18 and how completely different it is compared to a DOHC one.

·
My VTEC doesn't VTEC
1,110 Posts
Lol this debate always gets fun! Who's stolen your funny bone lately Rob? I was going to make the same joke as woette

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
Lol this debate always gets fun! Who's stolen your funny bone lately Rob? I was going to make the same joke as woette
It's just this stuff gets boring as Arse when people want to try and pretend they have baby type rs when they don't I own a 1.8 aswell

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
Have you driven a 2.2 diesel though. Derv is pure power

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
No I haven't and wouldn't want to sometimes the lack of torque makes me want to rip my testicles off

·
Registered
206 Posts
Question is: R18 has vtec, not the same all mighty as "grown up" type r's, but it's vtec.
For some people, vtec = insane crossover and power!!!!
For me vtec it's a way to get 2 different behaviors of on engine...
I had a civic vtec-e, a civic dohc vtec, and now civic a i-vtec... so I know the differences... ;)

·
Tarmacadam Terror
5,666 Posts
Reckon this should settle it

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
If Honda say it's i-vtec... then it is... they should know ;)

And the even put a sticker on saying so....

21 - 40 of 68 Posts