2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a 5d 1.8 sport. (FK2)
Is there anyone who can tell me what happens at 5500 rpm.

Sometimes during acceleration, the car pulls noticeably stronger when it reaches 5500 rpm.
R18z1 has 2 stage variable length intake and switches at 5200 rpm which is what your feeling to help with economy vtec off (normal lobe cam)to make more power.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It blows my mind the 1.8 engine is SoHC in the 21st century.

The last single cam 4 cyl I saw was back in the 80s... I know Ford and Fiat still persisted with SoHC cars until recently but they were low tech affairs.

·
Super Moderator
1,680 Posts
Still makes 140 HP without turbos and fancy crap all over the engine though!

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
It blows my mind the 1.8 engine is SoHC in the 21st century.

The last single cam 4 cyl I saw was back in the 80s... I know Ford and Fiat still persisted with SoHC cars until recently but they were low tech affairs.
It is a Honda - they make great engines, arguably the best mass produced...
I had a RVF with V4 engine - that was truly awesome engineering - ran like a swiss watch. I have a 1.8 9th gen now & that also is a great engine - in terms of design there are many roads to success and the simplicity & performance of the 1.8 speaks for itself - why overcomplicate things if you don't need to?

·
Registered
104 Posts
It is a Honda - they make great engines, arguably the best mass produced...
I had a RVF with V4 engine - that was truly awesome engineering - ran like a swiss watch. I have a 1.8 9th gen now & that also is a great engine - in terms of design there are many roads to success and the simplicity & performance of the 1.8 speaks for itself - why overcomplicate things if you don't need to?
No doubt it's an excellent design and an amazing all rounder. Very compact for the power it puts out, only real issue is it's lack of torque in modern day terms as everything is turbo charged these days but that makes driving it fun with the 6 speed box (could be closer ratio tho).

Everything went multi valve years back mostly tho, probably all advertising...

·
i-Vtec
3,114 Posts
Everything went multi valve years back mostly tho, probably all advertising...
Well its science more than advertising. The more fuel/air you can move through an engine equates to more power. The surface area of 4 smaller valves is greater than 2 large ones.
Surprised you saying the gearbox could be a closer ratio though, I do 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th all the time. 6th gear is way to high, 3200 at 70(gps) is terrible for any car, my Vec C did 2500 at 70 and it only had 5 forward gears.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well its science more than advertising. The more fuel/air you can move through an engine equates to more power. The surface area of 4 smaller valves is greater than 2 large ones.
Surprised you saying the gearbox could be a closer ratio though, I do 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th all the time. 6th gear is way to high, 3200 at 70(gps) is terrible for any car, my Vec C did 2500 at 70 and it only had 5 forward gears.
It's probably just me as I've driven a 3.0 V6 as a daily for the last 6 years. 200 ft of torque from idle onwards meant very lazy gear changes.... I almost never skip gears and try to ride the eco ivtec (2k to about 3.5k), will see if that actually helps fuel economy. Currently averaging 40mpg across all driving calculated manually not with the computer. Will see if an oil change from an unknown 5w-30 to 0w-30 and new spark plugs helps at all.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts