2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question as finding it hard to get an answer. More specifically, what do and don't you declare?

I have placed (well Honda dealer did) the Type S Spoiler on my car. I own a Type S, this is an OEM part that could have been bought when new. Is this a modification that needs declaring?

I recognise aftermarket items normally need declaring but what about OEM 'upgrades'

I have added the Spoiler, Decals and badges and 18" blades all OEM. Do they need declaring? I could have bought them like that from new. Or the previous owner could have added them!

What about Hekos? Only non-OEM addition but not fixed. Oh, and Gers' decals on badges/ headrests etc. Or even tiny football team window sticker! How far do you go?!

My insurance last year was circa £250 for 08 CTS, don't want big jump for 11 CTS with OEM parts.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Any thing that did not come on the basic spec on your car on the brochure .

Oem piece or not and even factory upgrades need mentioning to be safe .

Basically you need to cover your arse as insurance companies will use anything not to pay out.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Like mentioned above mate. Basically anything that Is added to the car that will alter the car from the brochure. Your even meant to declare wind deflectors.... I know crazy right!

So pick a good insurance company if you want to start changing anything, I once got charged £120 because I lowered my corsa d by 2cm.... I tried to argue stating it would make me safer since it will give me more control of the car but they wouldn't have it.

So find a good company and declare them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Although those aren't "modifications" as such, they are optional extras. And insurance companies will usually ask you "do you have any modifications or optional extras on the car".

So yes, you do need to declare anything that isn't standard. Even if they are oem. Luckily, there are a couple of modified insurers on here who are very competitive. Even more competitve than i could personally find anywehere else unmodified. Worth looking into if your premiums go up!

·
more torque than the mrs
6,732 Posts
anything added to a standard looking car will be classed as a modification even if it was a brochure option.

i had a polo years back from new i had sport seats ,spoiler bigger 16v wheels 16v lights all as factory upgrades i had to declare the lot in fact the lady on the phone if i remember right said one more modification and they wouldn't been able to insure me as i've tried to make it look like the top of the range model.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I was with Direct Line and they wanted everything declared (Ipod connector, Knob and gaitor, Wind Deflectors, Civinfo Sticker).

At renewal time I moved to LV. Filling in their online form I started a chat session when it came to declaring mods. I told them everything that was not standard and they came back saying I just need to declare the painted calipers by selecting paintwork change. Made no difference to my premium.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Don't discount mudflaps either, and wouldn't surprise me if carpet mats were seen as a modification. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Or even dust.

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts
Is wax a modification?
To wanner, Wistow, and the west, (said with a lisp), it's a must !

To the OP, and to reiterate earlier posts, best to find a decent insurer and advise them of EVERYTHING, no matter how insignificant it may seem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts