2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my 09 2.2 GT EX next week. Just wondering what size drives the USB input will support?

Could I potentially plug an external hard drive in? This would be massively appealing if so! If this was the case would it be fairly painful to navigate?

Can you also fast forward the mp3's being played through the usb interface? Listen to a lot of mixes, would be a pain if I couldn't.

Cheers guys.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I'll have to check the manual but I don't think there's a limit on storage size as such. I've got an 8GB flash drive and it just works. there is a limit on the number of folders. I've not got the manual handy so I can't say exactly how many. The SatNav cars are different to mine, and for the better. Structure your folders well and you shouldn't have too many problems. there is a thread on here somewhere showing the screens. search for 'input screens' should do it.

Oh and enjoy the car!

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
You can fast forward via the USB but its not exactly fast ! Its a pain if like me you have hr long mix and you want to skip to a particular part as it takes ages !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet, just need to decide whether to get a 64gig pen drive or robust hard disk. Pendrive is probably a better idea I reckon.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
According to the handbook: Standard and Sat-Nav: Recommended 256MB or higher. Up to 700 folders or up to 65535 files.
Files with DRM are not playable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to the handbook: Standard and Sat-Nav: Recommended 256MB or higher. Up to 700 folders or up to 65535 files.
Files with DRM are not playable.
Right now the owner of a spanking new 09 2.2 ctdt ex gt. All good :cool:.

I've been trying to get a 250gb iomega ego pocket drive hooked up. Firstly I had a problem with the display coming up saying bad usb. I realised the drive wasn't getting enough power. The drive somes with a split usb cable incase a single usb port alone doesn't give it enough juice you can put a second one in to power. Anyhow i've hooked the second usb to a cig lighter usb adapter. Drive is now getting enough power as i can feel it spinning.

However I'm now getting an error on the display saying format?

What does this mean? Does the drive have to be in Fat or NTSF or something?

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
you are probably better to stick with a large USB drive, rather than a spinning disk, I can foresee jumping issues with a hard disk when going over potholes/bumpy roads, this is also not good for the heads, if they were to hit the platters.

Plus you won't get the power supply issues with a USB fob, since you can get 8GB for around £12 now, 16GB for about £22, 32GB seems more expensive at £44 but that is an awful lot of music!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you mean Fat or Fat 32.

I've now tries Fat32 & NTSF, both say USB load then format.

the pocket drives are manufactured to be shock resistant. I'm gonna house it in a protecting case as well which will wedge nicely in the armrest. Can't see it failing to quickly, not exactly expensive anyhow.

Biggest USB stick you can get is 64gb, and costs about a oner. Rather get the larger volume if possible.

·
Registered
243 Posts
you can get 8GB for around £12 now, 16GB for about £22, 32GB seems more expensive at £44 but that is an awful lot of music!
Depends how much music you have and what quality you rip it at. I'd rather have the choice of everything at the highest quality than having to bother sitting going through selecting what things I might want only to be driving somewhere and realise I don't have something I want. To this day I don't understand why apple reduced the size of their largest ipod :confused:

·
Registered
85 Posts
What about using a portable solid state drive, there are a few on the market now and Ive seen a buffalo one up to 100mb (expensive though) this would negate the skipping issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just to be helpful....
Some USB 'pen drive' devices have some 'clever things on them to assist using them with a PC. these need to be removed before the drive will work in the car. For the techies.... Drives such as Sandisk Cruzer have a system partition. In my case I had to remove the U3 system which is default on the drive, 64Gb then worked fine.

I have also tried hooking up my Creatize ZEN mp3 player 30Gb. The USB socket powers the device for charging, but cant read from it. I can however charge via USB while playing through the AUX socket.

For anyone tempted to get a spinning drive, make sure it has a buffer and is designed to take a few knocks, otherwise you WILL get skipping.

Can someone give a rundown on the way to control the USB pendrive from the head unit ( fast fwd etc ) as frankly I am finding the manual a little unhelpful and difficult.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plumped for a 64gig Kingston memory stick in the end. Managed to grab one for £40.00 off Ebay so fairly happy. Seems to have a pretty poor data transfer rate though, so getting me 45 gig of mixes copied over might take a while. Over a day by windows estimation :-s.

I find navigating the folders pretty straight forward aeiou, though i do have the sat nav screen. Fast Forward you just hold skip down, not that fash though as Cush already mentioned.

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
*Warning*

I've been told by someone who visited me from the future not to connect a hard drive bigger than a terabyte or the civic will become self aware, connect to skynet and take over the world!

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Plumped for a 64gig Kingston memory stick in the end. Managed to grab one for £40.00 off Ebay so fairly happy. Seems to have a pretty poor data transfer rate though, so getting me 45 gig of mixes copied over might take a while. Over a day by windows estimation :-s.

I find navigating the folders pretty straight forward aeiou, though i do have the sat nav screen. Fast Forward you just hold skip down, not that fash though as Cush already mentioned.
Faster I/O sticks are much faster to read on the Civic. Put a 15MB/s one in and it flies. :)

a 1TB car would be interesting. Terminator Civics would only kill people who didn't use the two-bucket method.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do you know that when you plug your iPod to Civic, iPod show a Honda sing?

I tried to conect HDD to civic, but it couldn't play anything [ it might be that in car is 1.1 USB and the HDD need 2.0 USB, or 1.1 USB with external power].

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts