2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello im looking for a bit of info regarding am oil change i hope to carry out tommorow.

My search terms dont prove usefull hence the post.

is Castrol Edge 5w 30 the recognised oil to use for this engine, how about Castrol Magnatec 5w 30, i ask because its cheaper.

Also any idea how much oil the civics take, i cant find this single bit of data in the handbook anywhere?

One more thing, would you think iys cheeky to ask my local garage to carry out an oil change and I provide the oil?

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
1,932 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
It's simple for the diesel: 0W30.
This is what the shopmanual says for the 2.2 diesel:
"Always use synthetic genuine Honda Motor Oil (Highly recommended), synthetic 0W-30 motor oil ACEA A1/B1 (Highly recommended), or synthetic motor oil ACEA A3/B3. "
If you put in something else than synthetic 0W30: always less good.

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
1,932 Posts
Many Honda main dealers have been using Castrol Edge 0w-30 which is a acea a3/b3 spec oil.
It has a higher shear strength than a1/b1 spec and is the higher spec of the two.

Seeing that I have a highly tuned CDTi using the best oil is important as the demands on it are much bigger.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info, i just called the Honda garage and they quoted me £85 for an oil and filter change booked in for tommorow, sounds like a decent price.

Anyone know how many litres the oil tank holds?

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
thanks for the info, i just called the Honda garage and they quoted me £85 for an oil and filter change booked in for tommorow, sounds like a decent price.

Anyone know how many litres the oil tank holds?
I am sat at my dealer now whilst they change the oil and filter £75 all in I am paying.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks i-DSi

Thats odd seeing as the woman at the service desk responded very quickly with the price, obviously a set price for a common job

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
any idea how much oil the civics take, i cant find this single bit of data in the handbook anywhere?
In the Civic 5 Door handbook its on page 492 under Specifications.
Or you can check Wiki, where pretty much everything is covered.

Talking about oil....why is it that Castrol Edge large size containers are only 4 litres?
While this may be ok (just!) for the petrol engine, it certainly isnt for the diesel.
Then again...even 5 litres wouldnt be enough, but would have a chance of doing a lot more cars than 4 litres does.
At least Mobil 1 comes in the traditional 5 litre container.

When you look at the retail price of the best quality oil....£75 -£85 for a dealer change including filter, is actually very good. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My thoughts exactly, I didnt even bother phoning around my nearer local garages to see if they could do it cheaper.

Great customer service at the Inverness branch, in and out in about an hour including a health check which was free along with a wash and hoover.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's simple for the diesel: 0W30.
This is what the shopmanual says for the 2.2 diesel:
"Always use synthetic genuine Honda Motor Oil (Highly recommended), synthetic 0W-30 motor oil ACEA A1/B1 (Highly recommended), or synthetic motor oil ACEA A3/B3. "
If you put in something else than synthetic 0W30: always less good.
Hi, not only 0W30, the manual says that you can also use 5W30.
Check the correct oil standard, I think for 2.2 diesel Civic are: ACEA A1/B1 and ACEA A3/B3

·
Registered
152 Posts
I know it's an old thread but I'v got 6 liters of Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 that I bough for the Lexus I sold before i managed to change the oil.

Can I use this oil in my 2.2 diesel civic?

Spec below

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
It was bought for petrol engine but I can see in spec that it meets also ACEA C2/C3 and A3/B3/**.

Obviously I don't want to make any harm to the engine but also don't want to waste 6 liters of brand new oil.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,813 Posts
It's meant to be 0w-30. But 5w-30 is OK unless you live somewhere that is often sub-zero for the morning starts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello!!

I have HONDA Civic Type S 2.2i CDTi, GT ! I would like change the oil before I go to Europe long trip , I wanna Mobil1 0W-30 FUEL ECONOMY / Not ESP version !!!! /

That should be question this oil good for my car??????

Thank you

1 - 17 of 17 Posts