2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,639 Posts
shouldn't be if the valve clearances and fuel filter have been done.
petrol filter should be on 2nd change at this point and possibly spark pugs too.

·
Super Moderator
5,639 Posts
if yours is a 1.8 it's every 62,500 or TypeR every 25,000 miles.
valve clearance is checking/adjusting the rockers that open the valves which maintains the efficiency of the engine's breathing.
Honda do a fixed price for this @ £132 Fixed Price Repairs

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if yours is a 1.8 it's every 62,500 or TypeR every 25,000 miles.
valve clearance is checking/adjusting the rockers that open the valves which maintains the efficiency of the engine's breathing.
Honda do a fixed price for this @ £132 Fixed Price Repairs
Is valve clearance important? I have never done this before on any vehicle in the 25 years of me driving.

·
Super Moderator
5,639 Posts
clearly it is only as important as you consider it to be.

probably more important on a higher performance engine like the TypeR.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It is important enough in order to have it done on regular basis. Just to compare, it's as if you've asked if it's important to have your tires inflated to proper PSI.
The only difference between type R, 1.8 and 1.4 is the milage when you should do it.
I did mine on 95.000km, and some of them were quite off the limit. I am on 168.000 now and I plan to check the clearance again. After it was set to standard, the engine pulled better and easier. Even the fuel consumption dropped a little.
The price od 130 pounds sounds a lot to me, because in my country I can have it done for about 30-50 EUR, including the gasket. I guess 130 is in official Honda repair shop.

·
Super Moderator
5,639 Posts
as @Hypersonic says it can make a difference.
I had my 2011 TypeR done at 60,000 miles after finding that they had never been done (should be every 25,000), again a lot of them were off spec so I got my money's worth from Honda.
Engine did feel better and a marginal improvement in performance and MPG.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts