2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Am going to flush the brake fluid soon and I was wandering if anyone knows the Spec recommended for the 9G Civic? ie what DOT is it?

Cheers.
Neil.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
431 Posts
Usually do this sort of thing myself but a Honda garage only charged about £50.00 so thought it was well worth it.

Essential to change brake fluid periodically because its hydroscopic (absorbs water which boils on heavy braking). I've experienced it in the Alps and your foot goes to the floor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Sealey pressure bleeder (looks just like the Laser one that nturnb posted) but it does only come with the "standard" Euro type cap. Draper do a very good kit with various different caps which will fit NEARLY anything. But I use the two professionally, it might not be worth paying out for if you only have the one car.
But they do work very well and it saves doing it the old fashioned pedal pumping way, which can damage the master cylinder. Only rarely and usually on older cars but you'll curse if it does!
Oh, and definitely use DOT 4 fluid from a freshly opened container. Nothing else.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Sealey pressure bleeder (looks just like the Laser one that nturnb posted) but it does only come with the "standard" Euro type cap. Draper do a very good kit with various different caps which will fit NEARLY anything. But I use the two professionally, it might not be worth paying out for if you only have the one car.
But they do work very well and it saves doing it the old fashioned pedal pumping way, which can damage the master cylinder. Only rarely and usually on older cars but you'll curse if it does!
Oh, and definitely use DOT 4 fluid from a freshly opened container. Nothing else.
I chose not to buy that bleeder as the reservoir cap is only 45mm and have since learned the cap on the Civic is 75mm. Glad I didn't spend £45+ on something that would be okay for everyone elses car but not mine.

Back to the drawing board but I'll check out the draper variation you mention.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts