2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I recently created a thread to ask for advice on choosing between the 1.8 and 2.2 2006 - 2011 Civic (thank you to all those who contributed, it was very useful!).

A few people, though, recommended the Type R, which got me thinking...

Insurance, fuel and tax are more expensive, which I need to consider, but I'm thinking the amount of fun I'll have in it will be worth the trade-off. What do you think?

Is there anything else I need to know before making a decision? Are the Type Rs just as reliable? Do they cost more to repair?

Half of me thinks it would be a really insensible choice and the other half thinks '[email protected] it, you only live once'. Other than the Civic, are there any other hot-hatches I should look at (am I even allowed to ask that here?)?. I know the Focus ST is a popular choice but it just looks so dull in comparison and I'm unashamedly superficial.

Please advise!

·
Enjoying life
8,531 Posts
I've owned a mk8 1.8 and although a very good car it's not a type r, quite different to drive. I had an ep3 and px'd it for an ST2. Wish I hadn't. The fn2 in stock form is not as fun as the ep3 but a few mods change all of that. My car isn't the fastest thing around but it's the fun I get out of driving it that makes me keep it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Def get the type r pal! Had mine since October 2016 and i love it. Fuel wise i cover about 400 miles a month so £ wise it's not an issue. Insurance was only £60 more than my old 1.6 Astra (£300 year) and road tax is £295 for the year.

It's fun to drive ad looks lovely. Plus you don't see many about these days. Service is reasonable from what I've read so far so in terms of sport cars it won't break the bank.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
The first question you have to answer is: what do you want out of your car.
The FN2 is a great platform to start with, but has some weak points, that you would be tempted to improve, especially as variety of aftermarket parts for it is huge. Don't take me wrong, I have gone that rabbit hole myself and it's a great and satisfying adventure, but also often annoying and almost everytime very costly. To some extent, a solution for that is to buy one already upgraded in certain area(brakes, suspension, I/H/E, Hondata, FRS) and just enjoy the ownership.
If you plan on buying stock car and keeping it that way, I would seriously consider something different, either 'normal' 1.8/derv, or, if going that way, different hot hatch.
As much as I love my car, I am aware that it's not that impressive as standard, compared to it's competition in class and period. I don't want to spark a fury here, but, for example, I agree with most things that Clarkson said in his infamous TG review - ride is crashy, engine feels strangled(which it is, btw ;) ), stock geometry is too understeery; So, stock to stock, and buying used, I can see why someone might pick mark five GTI over Fn2, for example.
BUT, to answer your question, they are very reliable, if maintained properly (engines are bulletproof) and, modyfing scene aside, they are reasonably cheap to service.

Well, try one for yourself. You either fall in love and neglect all the flaws, or you'll walk out of it :)

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I've got a 2.2 and although I've played with it a bit (stage 2 remap, 201bhp, 333ft-lb, DD stereo, braided brake lines, aftermarket alloys etc) I still wish I had a Type-R, this is a much better platform for modding, the range of parts is enormous, and owning a CTR comes with a prestige, if u like Jap cars then should own a CTR at some point in your life, I plan on getting 1 in the years to come, the 2.2 leaves me envious when I see a FN2 go the other way. I love my car but if I could turn back the clock, I would have done things differently.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Deluded FK2 Owner
561 Posts
I went from a 1.8 Type S GT to the FK2 GT. In terms of insurance, I'm paying he same annually (£700). Tax is about £3 more each month and fuel is about £10 more each time (although, I commute longer distances now and I can't resist the turbo woosh).

I've not owned the FN2, but my mate owns one. Running costs, fuel and insurance isn't far off (FK2 is cheaper to tax), insurance is cheaper for him, although, he is a few years older than me with more no claims and an advanced drivers certificate. But looking around at quote for an FN2 for myself, it's about the same. Running costs, again, for the FK2 and FN2 are comparable, but it all depends on the driving style.

He's the big BUT(t). Bringing the FK2 into the comparison does highlight just how far behind the FN2 is (now) in the hot-hatch market and sort of follows what MDSur is saying, the FN2 is a bit lacking, when you consider the later GTI's, ST-2/ ST-3, Megane RS, Scirocco R (debatable) etc which can be brought for around the same price, that have performance closer to what's available new at the moment. These days, there's family diesels that'll come close, or match the FN2's performance, whilst returning 50mpg and cost less to run, so it sort of makes all a bit pointless if the 0-60 times, bhp willy waving etc is all that matters.

So it all depends on what you really want. The FN2 is amazing and with a few modification, I can imagine it'll eclipse the alternatives- but that's the problem, it needs the mods to be "special". If you want pure fun that's a great all rounder, with a bit of poke, whilst not being too bothered about the odd GTI/ ST's passing you, then it's a great car stock. Miles more reliable than the competition and, in my opinion, looks good for 10 years old! They're reasonable to buy as well, with good examples floating around for £6k.

·
Enjoying life
8,531 Posts
Modding is fun, and you don't need a turbo to move rapidly when modded ;)

·
Deluded FK2 Owner
561 Posts
Modding is fun, and you don't need a turbo to move rapidly when modded ;)
I agree with this- I'll be adding to the FK2 once the warranty is up and there's a bit more tried and tested parts floating about. It isn't for everybody though- especially when you consider the insurance trade-off etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought an FN2 In July, i was also looking at a wide range of Civic's and had even test drove the 1.4 (which i liked), but then whilst overtaking in my wife's MG ZR Diesel one night i realised that I needed some grunt and could not live with the 1.4.

that left the 1.8 and 2.2 as i also like yourself had not considered a Type R, i was edging towards the 1.8 due to the added complexity of modern diesels when a Type R caught my eye, the seed was planted and i just needed time for it to develop until i had to have one.

I have driven diesels for over 15 years and thought i would struggle with the Type R but right from the off i fell in love with it, its perfectly fast enough for me, its fuel consumption is around 29 ->30 if driven sensibly with minor relapses of stupidity, but the way it goes around corners is astounding, (and dont kid yourself you are never going to get close to 30MPG with anything other than minor lapses of stupidity)

I am lucky in so much that the kids have all grown up and sodded off, i work from home so dont do massive amounts of mileage, have access to a diesel if i need some economy and can afford to run it. I am not a modder, i dont feel the need to change the car, in fact i was going to have a fast road suspension setup put on the car but it already handles so well that i have decided i dont want to screw with it (maybe a previous owner had already put a fast road setup on it).

Be honest with yourself, it does drink more than its stablemates, it will cost more to insure, you will cripple it if you put budget tires on it Etc, but if you can afford to give a Type R a good home you will not regret it, and no i have never mentioned how much it costs to tax per year to the wife and dont ever plan on doing that either :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would say it does depend on how you drive and what you want to do with it...the Type R is a much better base model than the 2.2, as you would expect, but ultimately I do about 600 miles a week, pay £135 tax, manage to make most people look like they are standing still and still return 50+ MPG.
I would love to upgrade my 2.2 but its simply not cost effective. I did tell myself I wanted to upgrade to the CTR but I actually think that it may be a bit dated functionality wise by the time I come to upgrade, and I don't need another money pit!

For me though the CTR is the best priced hot hatch of that era...I dont really consider the ST to be 'hot' when the RS is leaving it in the shadows and the VW alternatives are pretty pricey for what they really are!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Couldn't agree more. For the money you can't beat the fn2.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
Enjoying life
8,531 Posts
Selling already Nub? :laugh2:

·
Registered
333 Posts
if your after features/gizmos well fn2 lacks a bit tbh. comparing the fn2 to hot hatches nowaday the fn2 is in the stone age. no dab radio/no parking sensor as standard/no sat nav as standard/no auto lights/wipers/folding mirros etc unless chosen extrra or bought with the Gt spec or if you buy the CW no DRLs and so on. i just feel honda are always lacking behind when it comes to the technological side/subtle features like the germans have folding mirror when locking/mirror drop down while reversing etc windows drop down / up while holding keys etc.

but dont get me wrong though even though it lacks all these gizmos and as much as i would love to have these features, its an FN2 its a race car for the road. and theyve kept it simple and in line with the weigh of the car. the more gizmos you add the more wieght it adds and everything adds up.

MPG ; city youl get around 22-26mpg // motorway steady @ 70mph youl see around 37mpg but if your doing 80mpg ish 33-35mpg. over 80 then <30mpg lol
Road tax ; 295£ yearly.
Maintenance ; the parts are pretty cheap tbh compared to german rivals
Reliability ; its a Honda so mechanical components / the engine ; its all bullet proof IF its looked after! ensure if serviced well dont use cheap products use OEM or better. Ive not had any major issues with my car (2 and half year ownership) apart from the left brake caliper which was siezed . 30£ to buy a rebuilt kit and its good as new!
Good fun ? ; HELL YEAH! (once mods are added) the standard fn2 not so much its just quick and the vtec noise is quiet imo easy fix get an intake. exhaust is quiet ish easy fix remove mid silencer for some noise.
Looks ; standard its nice! blends in well with modern hot hatchs apart from the Rs or FK2 (or equivilent) these are on another level lol but once you lowered the FN2 add a wing & rear lip ; then its looking mean!
Headturns ? ; not so much when my car was standard but now after all the mods ; yes plenty!
Audio ; standard audio terrible. easy fix get a decent headunit and configure the setting and its sounds pretty class. add a sub for some better bass so the speakers can focus on being more clear rather than also working on providing bass.
Equipments ; not bad plenty of storage cupholders door pockets rear cup holders i assume youl know that already as you already have this shape of civic :)

Bad points ;
The shocks/springs are to crashy for the UK road - easy fix get some eibach springs on! :) 160£ approx
Cup holder/slidy thing in the centre arms rest ; place a drink and it gets in the way of your gear shifting.
Cold driving/morning start up/driving ; the car is sooooo hyper and its just all over the place, its either too responsive or sluggish, but once the engine temp starts to rise / rev idles under 1200rpm the car is perfectly back to normal.

Common faults ;
check for rusts at the bottom of the doors - iirc this issue was resolved on the later fn2s
shocks tend to become weak over time so keep eye on it
brake calipers tend to seize after a disc change keep an eye on it
the bearings tend to go so make sure there no funny noises from it
i think there is a post about this but these are the mains ones i can think of atm.

apart from all that the FN2 is very fun car to drive! i would recommend it 100%. its not let me down once. its always put a smile on my face and given a scare to my passengers. its got cruise control/plenty of space for rear passengers big boot just ideal if your after a fun quick car cheap (sort of) with good space. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Everyone

I recently created a thread to ask for advice on choosing between the 1.8 and 2.2 2006 - 2011 Civic (thank you to all those who contributed, it was very useful!).

A few people, though, recommended the Type R, which got me thinking...

Insurance, fuel and tax are more expensive, which I need to consider, but I'm thinking the amount of fun I'll have in it will be worth the trade-off. What do you think?

Is there anything else I need to know before making a decision? Are the Type Rs just as reliable? Do they cost more to repair?

Half of me thinks it would be a really insensible choice and the other half thinks '[email protected] it, you only live once'. Other than the Civic, are there any other hot-hatches I should look at (am I even allowed to ask that here?)?. I know the Focus ST is a popular choice but it just looks so dull in comparison and I'm unashamedly superficial.

Please advise!
Hi I went from a 1.4 to a mugen 200. Haven't stopped smiling since. :smile3:

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I was fascinated by the Civic 5D 2006 model so since its releasing I was impatient to buy it. I bought a new 5D 1.8 Sport in 2010. It was easier buying this car than a pair of jeans or shoes :). I knew exactly what I wanted. Although the prices dropped in Jan 2010 when I bought it, the Type-R was still to expensive for me and another reason for not buying it was that it has only 2 doors. The car is awesome and it is still an UFO in 2017, 11 years after being released.

In 2014 I decided that I need a sport car so I was interested in a Toyota GT86 or Megane RS (both new), but I've waited for the new type-r to be released (I wanted to stick with Honda, mainly Civic). I wasn't so impressed by it (the design, not the performance) and also the price. After further judgement I said ***, I'm still in love with the 5D FK2 so I definitely need a FN2.

I have started to search for a Type-R Championship White 2010, GP pack (stock) and I found one. There is a big difference between FK2 (5D) and the FN2. Like another mate said, I can't stop smiling ever since :). I was two times on track and even there are a lot of more powerful cars, the feeling, the experience, the engine sound are all amazing.
But, since I'm going on track for 5-7 times a year I want to upgrade the exhaust, admission and hondata basically, but I haven't decided yet. I have only replaced the disc brakes and the brake pads.

I have also kept the 5D for winter season and for times when I really need 4 doors :). So, my advice, although the GTI or Focus GT are more powerful, go for the FN2. I didn't drive the above cars, but the design, the look are very important for me. I wouldn't buy a GTI even if it was twice more powerful.
All the best.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts