2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks... Iv had my Type R for about a month or so now and I'm starting to get the modding bug again :D

The problem is I don't know where to start as there is so much to choose from! So I thought I'd ask a simple question to my fellow civinfo users ...

If you had a budget of £500 for your first mods what would you do? The cars standard at the moment and I will be getting a frs soon from a very good local company ... So which direction should I take? Do I go for some bling goodies such as reservoir socks mugen caps skunk2 gear knob etc or should I go for a cai kit like the HKS or maybe a tegiwa air box?

Any help or opinions would be grateful .. And I really don't want to wait for weeks for whatever I go for to come over from Japan so it would be nice if you could suggest something that may be a stock item from one of our lovely supplier of all things fast and shiny lol

Thanks in advance

Simon

·
Registered
307 Posts
..hondata flashpro with group n map.

..or ferrodo pads, eibachs, type r decal kit (if u don't have it) and perhaps a hks panel filter (much better than the £35 price tag suggests - better throttle response , especially when cold and a little better induction noise)

...hopefully i'll see u nipping about in Nottingham somewhere...;)

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
After 2 years of ownership I only just last week installed 15mm eibachs, camber bolts and an FRS (Fast road setup). My biggest regret is that I didnt do it earlier! Its really is an amazing mod especially for the money.

If I were to start over my first mods would be:

1) 15mm eibach springs, camber bolts, with a FRS
2) Braided brake lines & Ferodo DS2500 pads.
3) Flashpro

·
Registered
307 Posts
Fast Road Setup......improves handling/cornering alot for not much dosh....

the group n i believe slightly improves mpg but u tend to thrash it more as the vtec is more accessable, so overall its probably similar to standard....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for replies guys.. Not looking for suspension mods yet because I'm going to go to town on it at a later point... Frs is fast road set up cookci

Where in Notts are you Davidc100?

Looking like flashpro is wining at the moment... I thought I'd have had lots of "get a HKS suction kit" :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
After 2 years of ownership I only just last week installed 15mm eibachs, camber bolts and an FRS (Fast road setup). My biggest regret is that I didnt do it earlier! Its really is an amazing mod especially for the money.

If I were to start over my first mods would be:

1) 15mm eibach springs with a FRS
2) Braided brake lines & Ferodo DS2500 pads.
3) Flashpro

is the FRS THAT noticable in normal driving? i assume it works very well on track but in "normal" conditions is it worth it.?....personally i think the fn2 handles fine for road driving .... only 1 way to find out i suppose....

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks for replies guys.. Not looking for suspension mods yet because I'm going to go to town on it at a later point... Frs is fast road set up cookci

Where in Notts are you Davidc100?

Looking like flashpro is wining at the moment... I thought I'd have had lots of "get a HKS suction kit" :)

suction kit is good for noise and a few bhp;s but its a bit expensive...much better gains with a flashpro

i'm in Chilwell mate.....

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
whats FRS?

does the group N reduce MPG?
GroupN is poor - and yes uses more petrol.

However a custom map is :p

If i was you first £500 would go towards a nice air intake - If your looking to mod heavy in the future get the Tegiwa as it's bullet proof. If your looking for minotr mods than the HKS RSK is fine :)

Obviously get FRS sorted!

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
is the FRS THAT noticable in normal driving? i assume it works very well on track but in "normal" conditions is it worth it.?....personally i think the fn2 handles fine for road driving .... only 1 way to find out i suppose....
I suppose in normal driving, no. The handling is great as it is. However with the eibachs the ride crashiness is now gone, still stiff and bumpy, but not crashy.

If you like driving on fast corners then the difference is very noticeable. A few days ago me and a friend (he also drove the car) went for a long drive on some twisty roads. We both know the roads and the car quite well. We both said the same thing: the car now handles like its on rails. The steering is better, body roll is significantly reduced, hardly any understeer, and overall much much more stable! I honestly did not expect such a major improvement.

·
Registered
307 Posts
GroupN is poor - and yes uses more petrol.

However a custom map is :p

If i was you first £500 would go towards a nice air intake - If your looking to mod heavy in the future get the Tegiwa as it's bullet proof. If your looking for minotr mods than the HKS RSK is fine :)

Obviously get FRS sorted!
why is the group n poor?....everyone i read says it transforms a standard car and is a revelation..?

just wondered.....

·
Registered
307 Posts
I suppose in normal driving, no. The handling is great as it is. However with the eibachs the ride crashiness is now gone, still stiff and bumpy, but not crashy.

If you like driving on fast corners then the difference is very noticeable. A few days ago me and a friend (he also drove the car) went for a long drive on some twisty roads. We both know the roads and the car quite well. We both said the same thing: the car now handles like its on rails. The steering is better, body roll is significantly reduced, hardly any understeer, and overall much much more stable! I honestly did not expect such a major improvement.
do you think thats more to do with the eibachs or the FRS?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any idea what sort of gains I would get with the tegiwa air box? I'd like a bit more noise too :)

Will be doing springs camber bolts and rigid collar kit with frs at a later date with a guy in Melton Mowbray (Tracktive solutions run by an ex WRC engineer)

Interesting to hear a few people talking brakes too.. This iv considered .. Really fancy some nice do-luck brake lines!! :D

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Any idea what sort of gains I would get with the tegiwa air box? I'd like a bit more noise too :)

Will be doing springs camber bolts and rigid collar kit with frs at a later date with a guy in Melton Mowbray (Tracktive solutions run by an ex WRC engineer)

Interesting to hear a few people talking brakes too.. This iv considered .. Really fancy some nice do-luck brake lines!! :D
Keep the stock Oem airbox and get the tegiwa air tract that comes with the tegiwa airbox. This way you save money and get the same gains since the airtract is the whole difference.

Just my two cents. Then get flashpro and custom map:)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts