2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

What are you hiding under you bonnet?

Whats are you hiding under your bonnet?

3K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  IWANTACIVIC 
#1 ·
I was thinking tonight that I would have had a 2.2 i-CDTi had it been available in i-Shift, it seems that the 2.2 is the more popular so was wondering what the driver was for buying the 1.8 ?

So time for another poll (don't you just love them)

#2 · (Edited)
reasons for going diesel (for me)

1) slightly faster 0-60 as standard
2) being turbo'd, figured the chances of extracting a bit more go would be better than on the VTEC
3) boringly, mpg :wink:
4) car on lease, so monthly price difference was very low

None of which were really compelling in themselves, but as a total were enough to sway me :)

Edit:
PS - Sorry.
Took one look at the performance figures and crossed the i-shift off I'm afraid :(
Loved the DSG on the TT, but not enough to sacrifice quite as much performance as that :(
Not a dig at i-shifters though! :)

#3 ·
2.2 diesel due to :

Highish annual mileage makes a diesel an economic prospect
High MPG
Power and torque
Suits my driving style, I love the high revving vtec, but never got to use it properly in my Accord
Wanted something different after driving petrol engines for 30+ years

#4 ·
i-Vtec here.

I initially wanted an auto, tried the semi-auto i-shift thing and really could not get olong with it. I know it takes practice, but if I still needed to chose the shifting points by lifting off, that kinda defeated the point of it to me of an auto. it worked great in manual mode, but not as well as a manual!

Diesel mever came into it for me. Don't do a lot of miles, and IMO diesels are just a bit agricultural for me. I know they are a lot better now, but they still are noiser, smokier and don't sound sporty. I like the way the petrol engine work, and love the noise of the engine at 5000rpm+!

^just my opinion:)

#5 ·
It had to be the diesel for me, but not by far .... the extra £1500 is quite a premium, but then again, all that loverly torque!!! A deciding factor was also the way my company pays for business mileage; cars over 2 litre get a much higher rate than cars below, and with the economy of the diesel this works out very well.

#9 ·
1.8 i-VTEC here ..

You lucky bastards probably won't believe the registration tax we have to pay here in Denmark. We pay 180% in car tax of the price that exceeds 5x.000 DKK of the car's normal price.

This means that I have spent 272.000 DKK for the Civic.
(272.000 DKK equals roughly to 24.200 GBP)

But get this: they price the CTDI 90.000 DKK more, which equals 8.000 GBP

Thats why I settled for the petrol version, and I must say I love it. Having driven diesels for the last three years, I was looking forward to som revvs.

I have just had my car for two weeks now, and I absolutely love it.

#11 ·
With manual you have one choice - gearstick. With i-Shift you have 3 choices - manual 'flick' gearstick, manual steering wheel paddles, full auto; and you can switch between any of them whilst on the move!;)

Give it a week or so and you wouldn't have anything else.:D

#14 · (Edited)
1.8 i-vtec for me... manual.

Nothing beats total and ultimate control over the gear box - plus the 0-60 is slower with the i-shift!! ;-)
Im not sure thats true! I think the quoted time is in Auto mode so it's slower. In Manual mode I am sure I got to 70 faster than the listed 0-60

EDIT: Joining an empty motorway!

#16 ·
Love the i-Shift and use the manual mode 95% of the time - so easy, light and positive either by paddles or stick. If Honda sold this car just as a clutchless manual, ie. no auto mode, I'd still buy it.

No substitute for a totally rested left peg and choice of mode.
Well worth sacrificing any slight loss in the 0 - 60 time - if that's so??

#17 ·
Sorry just seen another poll on Engine! :oops:

But to be honest I was interested in the i-Shifts over straight 1.8 so I don't care [smilie=lil_red_dev:

#19 ·
1.8 I-VTEC

Solely and simply as the dealer could get one in less than a week. I had no real preference between the 1.8 and the 2.2, though felt the 1.8 might carry a better insurance premium, but the speed at which they could get me a 1.8 SE with leather swung the deal. I didn't even consider the i-shift.

#25 ·
My car is 2,2 cdti (when i get it ) because of mileage i do and i love the cheap thrills 140 bhp and high 40mpg :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.