Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the civics have got it but what is drive by wire
Anybody Know or am i being Blonde

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe it is by using electronics, rather than mechanical ( I also believe there is a 'fallback' should the electrics fail - phew!). Not sure exactly how it works, but it does give very positive and precise steering.

Rog

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rog 8)

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
rogwat48 said:
Not sure exactly how it works, but it does give very positive and precise steering.

Rog
Just a little better than a soap box :lol:

As BG said it's the throttle control that's done by electrickery; this allows the other systems like cruise control and VSA to adjust the throttle.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Co-incidently, currently manufacturers are not allowed to do drive by wire steering, deeming it too dangerous in the event of failure.

Which kinda makes me worry about Pottsy and his day job :shock:

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
TTDegs said:
Co-incidently, currently manufacturers are not allowed to do drive by wire steering, deeming it too dangerous in the event of failure.
Agree, but I wonder how heavy the steering would be if the 'electrical power steering' motor packed up especially with the wide tires on 17" & 18" rims?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
WoolyCiv said:
TTDegs said:

Agree, but I wonder how heavy the steering would be if the 'electrical power steering' motor packed up especially with the wide tires on 17" & 18" rims?
LOL - VERY! :shock:

especially with such a small lock-to-lock

·
Registered
4 Posts
fly by wire means having no cables etc. it is controlled electronically by sensors and switches.
it is proved very reliable in the aircraft industry were most plane controls are fly by wire.
saab also use fly by wire on there cars.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
TTDegs said:

Yes, that's why we have 5 sources of electricity, and about 30 computers all doing the same thing... And even then, the rudder and the horizontal stabiliser are connect by string, just in case.

Hondaman, nearly every modern half decent car is now DBW. A much more versatile system all round (and Saab cars have been nothing to do with Saab aircraft for quite a while - they're more related to Vectras than Vulcans :) ).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pottsy said:
TTDegs said:

Yes, that's why we have 5 sources of electricity, and about 30 computers all doing the same thing... And even then, the rudder and the horizontal stabiliser are connect by string, just in case.

Hondaman, nearly every modern half decent car is now DBW. A much more versatile system all round (and Saab cars have been nothing to do with Saab aircraft for quite a while - they're more related to Vectras than Vulcans :) ).

Unfortunately, you are right Pottsy. Nowadays SAABs are just another version of Opel (Vauxhall). Maybe Aero X can change that. http://cars.ign.com/articles/694/694782p1.html

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
hondaman said:
fly by wire means having no cables etc. it is controlled electronically by sensors and switches.
it is proved very reliable in the aircraft industry were most plane controls are fly by wire.
saab also use fly by wire on there cars.
The only aircraft in RAF squadron service that is FBW is the Typhoon which entered service last year.

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts

nah its allright, don't the computers do all the flying nowadays anyway? lol

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Yep, there three things in a cockpit now:

A Computer (or rather a bank of them),
A Pilot
&
A Dog
-
-
-
-
-
-
The Computer/s are their to fly the plane, the Pilot is there to feed the dog and the dog is there to bite the pilot if he tries tp touch any of the controls :)

Tom

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know that some models of Mercs also do DBW (Drive By Wire) brakes too.

My friend is a BA pilot and I'm always taking the mick saying that he just presses the autopilot button and he just has to sit back and relax - he hates it, but we love to tease him about it.

But Pottsy, you know you're the Daddy...!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts