2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

Nice to be a part of this forum.
I'm on the edge of buying a new 2009 Civic, but the big problem is what trim should I buy?
I'm in for a 1.4 S GT as you can admire on the following link: http://www.fl.honda.be/pdf/promoweb0...icTypeS_NL.pdf

My wife and son are in for a 1.4 i Dream
http://www.fl.honda.be/pdf/promoweb0209Civic5d_NL.pdf

Maybe Dutch will be Chinese for some of you :smile:.

What is the best choise?

Or should we go for a 1.8 version, that is €1K more expensive to buy and about € 700 more expensive as initial road tax?

What are the pro's and the con's for both motor versions?

We expect to drive about 13K/year with the car.

Thx for your advice.

Hatch

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've ordered a 1.4 after driving both the 1.8 and 1.4. Of course the 1.8 is a lot more fun, because it's pretty quick. So my automotive heart screamed "take the 1.8", but my brains (more in for financial wisdom) said "take the 1.4". There is a tax-reason, since it's a lease car I have to add 20% of it's newprice to my income with a 1.4 and 25% with a 1.8. Apart from that, the clean engine gives me a good feeling...
Okay, the 1.4 is not quick, but it's also not terrible slow. I can very well live with it. I don't have to pull heavy trailers and to be honest: do you use maximum performance all the time? I don't...

Type S or 5-doors: when you don't need the rear doors, take the type S. It will give you the nicer grille, triangle exhaust-cover (probably without twin exhausts, but that can be arranged by Remus, that is what I did) and just an even a little bit nicer looking car.
Most of all: drive them both! The S-type has sports-suspension where the 5-door is a bit more on the comfy-side. The sports-suspension will make you grin in corners, but will like like the stiffer suspension on the long turn?

Darn... both cars look so great! 4 months to go for me... :(

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Allthough the 1.8 is advertised as an economical car, it just isnt as economical as i thought it would be. If you dont want to pay a lot on fuel and do lots of short distances, go for the 1.4
Dont mind what others say about it being slow. Its a car with an engine, four wheels and a steering wheel which will get you anywhere you want it to. If i were to buy a type-S now, i would take the new 1.4 i-vtec type-S. It just wasnt available when i bought mine not that i regret it off course, the 1.8 is also a very nice engine. They both are, thats my point ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello out there

Thanks to you all for giving me good advice so quick. It is a real help. I should go for the 2009 1.4 S GT then? Is there something it misses (except from the nav, the xenons and the i-shift, wich I don't want)? It will probably have a polished metallic metal colour. But I wil possibly have to wait till June, and that 's a pity :-( .

·
Registered
181 Posts
I can imagine the 1.8 more then the 1.4 wants to be revved, just because it can... That will do no good to fuel consumption. The 1.4 sounds really economical (I can't prove it yet) and might force you to a more economical driving style.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Hello out there

Thanks to you all for giving me good advice so quick. It is a real help. I should go for the 2009 1.4 S GT then? Is there something it misses (except from the nav, the xenons and the i-shift, wich I don't want)? It will probably have a polished metallic metal colour. But I wil possibly have to wait till June, and that 's a pity :-( .
in Belgium the GT spec is different from the UK GT spec, they get satnav and the panoramic roof with it :mad: So maybe the panoramic roof is an option. Mine doesnt have it and i really regret it, i think when open it even gives the car an extra feeling of space + its just cool :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hello out there

Be sure to drive it and be sure you like the sport suspension. That is the only thing I can say: if you can afford the extra 990 euro's now, take the advantage pack. I'm sure it will pay back when you want to sell the car and apart from that, there are some nice extra's :)

I'm counting the days until 1 july.... :VroumVroum01:

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Be sure to drive it and be sure you like the sport suspension. That is the only thing I can say: if you can afford the extra 990 euro's now, take the advantage pack. I'm sure it will pay back when you want to sell the car and apart from that, there are some nice extra's :)

I'm counting the days until 1 july.... :VroumVroum01:
dont think the advantage pack (cruise control, front fogs, dual climate, heated front seats, Type-s garnishes at the doors) is still available here in belgium, thought they switched to a degraded GT spec from UK but i could be wrong ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
An option might be to import a 1.4 S from the Netherlands. A.f.a.k. it can be interesting for you because of out high taxes that foreigners don't have to pay. Over here the advantage-pack is available, then you have everything you want...
Could be worth to check out...

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
An option might be to import a 1.4 S from the Netherlands. A.f.a.k. it can be interesting for you because of out high taxes that foreigners don't have to pay. Over here the advantage-pack is available, then you have everything you want...
Could be worth to check out...
Belgian GT spec would be the old advantage pack so it still has all the fancy toys + that cool GT-badge at the back

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I luckily have taken an option on an 1.4 S GT (that still was available) the other day. I am going to sign the documents in the afternoon :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I luckily have taken an option on an 1.4 S GT (that still was available) the other day. I am going to sign the documents in the afternoon :)
Congratulations and loads of driving pleasure with your car!

·
Civic gone, not forgotten
2,092 Posts
You 'll have to wait (at least) till June then. :)
How can the car market be that bad if you are having to wait 4 months for a car. I understood that a good stock of 09 cars were built before the shutdown so I am perplexed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
How can the car market be that bad if you are having to wait 4 months for a car. I understood that a good stock of 09 cars were built before the shutdown so I am perplexed.
I've ordered my car in week 6 and it will probably be delivered in week 26!!! Before the factory shutdown I was told a deliverytime of 6-8 weeks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is a special promotion car. It is the last one available and the garage manager wants to sell it on the condition I 'll leave it in the show room till June, till he gets his next delivery.:confused:
So if I want the car on promotion conditios, there will be nothing to do about it than to wait, I suppose.:(

1 - 20 of 37 Posts