2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my problem. Went out for a little play with my friend in his old civic, giving it some beans and had to brake quite hard. Now, i have TG discs and yellow stuff pads. Lines and fluid are standard and are on my to do list!

The problem came because after one heavy braking session it felt like they had kind of glazed over. When i went to brake again it was very weak despite pressing the brakes firmly. Is this brake fade or is it another problem.

Also the brakes became alot louder once they had 'glazed'

Does anyone know what is wrong??

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pads and discs were new about 2000 miles ago

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Sounds like brake fade! What are they like now?

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Sounds like a big dollop of fade to me mate. As said sounds like you found the limit. But now you know where the limit for you current set up is. As a next step get your lines and fuild sorted me thinks.

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
It's definate brake fade, i suffer with that sometimes.

It feels like your powerless even though your putting your foot down heavily.

Don't worry about it mate.

Also just because your brakes have been on for 2000 miles doesn't mean they are 100% bedded in.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i have ordered the fluid and shall be getting brakes lines very shortly though. I just didnt want to fork out for lines when there is something else wrong. With the lines and fluid they shouldn't really fade should they as the yellow stuff pads are good for track uses so should be good some 'enthusiastic driving'

·
Reasonable Tenor voice
617 Posts
I guess some brakes are only meant for road use; you only brake hard once when driving "normally" i.e. for an emergency situation then they cool down, as you drive on. But racing pads won't work from cold that have to be at the right temp to work. So it must be a balance in finding the right set up. road or race you chose. mind you I'm no expert.

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
Also i'd like to add my brakes on my car are still the ones that came with the car.

I have a 58 plate type-r on full oem pads.

My car is producing 203 bhp @ the wheels which i believe is around 230+ ?

When i first got my car the brakes were awful. Now 8k miles later they are performing better than ever - i haven't suffered any brake fade for ages ha ha, and i have also had some spirited drives.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
but even after braking so they are warm, one heavy session will mean they are cooked and stinking. Soooooo would the lines and discs solve the problem. I would not feel confident taking my car on a track as it stands, which is something i'd like to do!!

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
but even after braking so they are warm, one heavy session will mean they are cooked and stinking. Soooooo would the lines and discs solve the problem. I would not feel confident taking my car on a track as it stands, which is something i'd like to do!!
I don't know if it will "solve" the problem, what it will do is allow you to still have a lot of feel in your pedal (so you will be able to slam your foot down etc) - however you do need to remember that you are running an OEM style brake setup. A lot of the guys on here have bbk's.. stock tech etc. If you really want to see improvements this is what you will need.

Even on track days with lines and pads you will still need to come into the pits every 10 laps or so to let your car cool down (brakes)... just rememebr to NEVER put your hand brake on straight after a spirited drive... as this will warp your rear discs.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
It wont warp it will bind ;)

IMO ebc greens and reds are only a marginal increase over stock. I do rate a brembo discs much higher than these even the plain ones and ds2500 are bomb proof pads too in opinion. Only when your up to this level will you really feel the true benefit of lines and a designer fluid too.

Ebc type discs might stop you a bit better from a tonne, but proper disc and pad combo will do it 20 times in succession .

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
It wont warp it will bind ;)

IMO ebc greens and reds are only a marginal increase over stock. I do rate a brembo discs much higher than these even the plain ones and ds2500 are bomb proof pads too in opinion. Only when your up to this level will you really feel the true benefit of lines and a designer fluid too.

Ebc type discs might stop you a bit better from a tonne, but proper disc and pad combo will do it 20 times in succession .
Yes it will bind but the heat can also warp your discs (which is going to be more costly than your pads getting stuck on)

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Yes it will bind but the heat can also warp your discs (which is going to be more costly than your pads getting stuck on)
+1 I had this happen to me on my motorbike; off for a hoon then sat with the rear brake on at a set of lights... warped disc.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts