2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father has a new HRV automatic, which he is quite pleased with, except for the apparently flimsy fitting of the plastic 'eyebrows' over the rear wheel arches. Whilst travelling on one of his local main roads into Birmingham (Quinton Expressway), a pothole caused one to fall off. He retrieved it, and took it back to his supplying dealer, who admitted that he had seen several in the workshops with similar problems, and that the plastic retaining pegs were not up to the job. It was refitted with some form of metal fixing, but only the one that had fallen off. How widespread is this problem? How many are falling off?

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
I've not heard wheel arch trim called 'eyebrows' before.

But it's a fitting description

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it was the great-grandchildren that called them that ?. But yes. It's wheel-arch trims really. What I didn't put on the original post, was that despite the dealer acknowledging a seemingly faulty design, and basically screwing them back on with metal screws, they still relieved my 85yr old father of £370 !!!! for the privilege on what is a month old vehicle!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I thought. Pretty shabby, seemingly ripping off a frail old man who's bought two new cars of them in two years. I'd like to think that not all dealers are that sharp. I know that mine isn't.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,283 Posts
If they 'just fell off' and it's a month old vehicle, must be a warranty job.
Regardless... £370 for an hour's labour to screw a plastic trim in... I'd be onto Honda UK or trading standards. (Would've told them to pi** off personally but I bet at 85 he couldn't be doing with the hassle).

Reactions: thiswilldo

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Mine are pretty loose. Lost the clips somewhere up the M11 back a month or two when we had really strong wind.
Ordered some new ones off ebay to refit myself but they turned out to be the wrong size so now I've just given up and left them half connected only..

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
£370 to rectify what sounds like defective product. I'd be onto the DP, then HUK, then trading standards.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its in the hands of Honda UK now. Let's see how the dealer justifies his costs to them. It was actually £378.06. I assume the 6p was for the screws.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Did they just fix the old ones back on or have to source new parts? Because I was thinking of colour coding mine and it seems in the ballpark of the price it would cost to replace your wheel arch trims (eyebrows).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They merely refitted the old one, black plastic, which my father rescued from the side of the road. Nothing new, apart from screws. It didn't take long to do, and they did it while he waited. It probably took longer for him to tap in his pin number into the card machine, than the 'repair' took.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honda UK looked into it, and because the dealer claimed it was caused by 'external influence', it was not covered by warranty. They also implied that 'data protection' prevented them from commenting further to anyone other that the registered keeper, a deaf 85 year old. And with regards to the extortionate cost, I was advised to take up the matter with the service manager.
Conclusion. The Honda HRV is likely to shake itself to pieces on the normal potholed roads that we drive on in the UK. And it will only be covered by warranty if you don't tell the dealer that a pothole was involved. Tell them 'It fell off'.
And Dick Turpin is alive and well, and runs a Honda dealership in the West Bromwich area.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
I would consider the CAB and or trading standards at this point. If the part did fall off in use on public roads in normal driving, it is not fit for purpose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts