2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Ive noticed some rust along one of my rear wheel arches.

Whats the easiest way to treat it myself. My car colour is night hawk black so im hoping any DIY repaint can be disguised with a little buffing.

Ideally id like to remove the wheel arch plastic cover so i can work easier but im not sure how to do it?!?

Cheers guys.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
What car/age?

I've read that Honda may fix dust within ten years under their corrosion guarantee, don't quote me on this though, but worth looking into potentially

·
more torque than the mrs
6,767 Posts
corrosion warranty will only be valid if the car is original paint, to test they will use a micron tester to check the thickness, if original paint they will summit a claim to honda uk but no guarantees and i have known them ask for 50% contribution, rear arch plastic will have to be removed for a proper repair if you do decide to repair it yourself, good luck

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What car/age?

I've read that Honda may fix dust within ten years under their corrosion guarantee, don't quote me on this though, but worth looking into potentially
Its a 2008 CIVIC 2.2 CDTI,probably should have said that in the original post.

I may very well ask my local honda,ive dealt with them a few times in the past for big jobs but not recently.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Heres the pics of the rust. Cant believe ive only noticed it now. Pretty gutted really. The white spots are small stone chips that are just down to the primer. And ive just realised its part of the door,not the wheel arch so at least it will be easy to treat,i only noticed it this morning at work so i was half asleep,i really am useless in the mornings lol.

·
The Dugs Baws
3,507 Posts
Looks like there has been an old repair or skin on that door.
What's the sealer like on the inside of that doorskin, is it the same as the other doors?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like there has been an old repair or skin on that door.
What's the sealer like on the inside of that doorskin, is it the same as the other doors?
Thanks for the input. Ive just checked the sealer and its the same as the other doors. Could the picture make it look like its been previously repaired? Would it be worth speaking to honda to see what they say anyway?

·
more torque than the mrs
6,767 Posts
probably had a repair in the past and not enough paint as been applied to the edges, or someone as been very careless and banged it off a wall a few times and rust as now set in...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
probably had a repair in the past and not enough paint as been applied to the edges, or someone as been very careless and banged it off a wall a few times and rust as now set in...
Is it likely honda wont repair it under their warranty then? I may have to treat it myself.

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Looking at that my money would be on a door skin also.

No I highly doubt that rust is Hondas fault myself, all Manufacturers have a check list to go through for a warranty claim, you should take it in and see but they will get a paint depth gauge on it and soon know if the car has had paintwork and where and will examine the door to make sure it is an original factory fit door and that it is their fault.

I am afraid to say I really don't think the rust on that door is Hondas fault sorry mate

·
Registered
154 Posts
Honda will not do the repair...have a rust at door bottom before and I been told it was rust surface, It's annoying... a lot of us know what's honda paint quality.

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Honda will do rust if it their fault mate, but a lot of the time it isn't the manufacturers fault.

To be fair Hondas corrosion protection is superb, I am not saying the paint is thick as thickness of paint has nothing to do with protection, but as for actually protecting the steel from the outside world they do a fantastic job

What makes you say you know about Hondas paint quality?

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Ok you couldn't really tell the difference between thick and thin paint when we are talking about unit microns, go back 30 years and yes maybe paint thickness had something to do with corrosion protection, these days you couldn't tell the difference between 80um which is enough paint from metal to top coat and 300um which is like painting a panel 5 times over.

Paint does have to be thick to do its job, it just has to be even and adhered correctly

I am a warranty coordinator at a VWG bodyshop so have a lot of experience with corrosion as Audis and VW's just rot away so we have a huge amount of claims to deal with, however Honda do a much better job of designing and protecting their cars these days.

Take your car to a Honda approved bodyshop or a main dealers and ask to speak to a warranty coordinator and ask them to examine the panel in question, if it is deemed Hondas fault they will move forward with the claim

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Also to put unit microns into perspective 1000um = 1mm if I remember correctly so minimum factory paint should be 0.08mm so even if factory put double the amount of paint required to protect the panel on you would still only have 0.16 of a mm, you aint going to know the difference between 0.08 and .16 of a mm

·
more torque than the mrs
6,767 Posts
my 76 yr old neighbour as a 06 plate vw golf plus, i clean it every week for him so imagine how he felt when i told him i found a load of corrosion, sills,wings,rear hatch. we went for a corrosion check at shrewsbury the sills were as low as 49 microns , 79 on the hatch , wings around 97 they put a claim in and all he got was the new wings the rest they wanted 50% contribution £700 which he declined. shocking i thought, if it had been my vw i would of pushed for it all to be done..

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thank you very much for your expanation about paint thickness, so do you think they haven't done the right preparation/job which is causing the rust? looking on op photo's they are the same on mine before the only difference is it was on the door bottom.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts