2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning All

Fairly newly acquired Civic CDTI, my first post :eek:

On the motorway yesterday and noticed that when the car steered right there was a burrrring noise coming from the front. Sounded like the drivers front wheel. :confused:

It went away when the car straightened up. Only noticeable over 70, but was noticeable!

Any ideas - wheel bearing?

Thanks!

FP

·
Administrator
17,935 Posts
Welcome to :civinfo: and popping your 1st post cherry. ;)

It could be a wheel bearing, were you steering quite hard at the time? It could have been the VSA grabbing a rear brake? Do you have vented or plain brake disks front/back?

Does it do the same noise when turning left?

Did you feel any vibrations?

How many miles has the car done?

It could also be a sticky caliper, pop both front wheels in the air and see if the spin relatively freely. Compare one to the other. Or if that's too much hassle then after a good drive see how warm each of the wheels are. Be sensible tho and don't burn yourself!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to :civinfo: and popping your 1st post cherry. ;)

It could be a wheel bearing, were you steering quite hard at the time? It could have been the VSA grabbing a rear brake? Do you have vented or plain brake disks front/back?

Does it do the same noise when turning left?

Did you feel any vibrations?

How many miles has the car done?

It could also be a sticky caliper, pop both front wheels in the air and see if the spin relatively freely. Compare one to the other. Or if that's too much hassle then after a good drive see how warm each of the wheels are. Be sensible tho and don't burn yourself!
Hi - Thanks for the input

No noise when turning left - just right, i wasnt cornering hard - anything off centre to the right would create the noise and i could feel a very slight vibration through the steering wheel.

Car is on 65K

Wasnt driving it to the point where the VSA was kicking in.

Discs are not vented

FP

·
retroppuS
957 Posts
I had a horrible noise which was very similar whilst driving slow at first, then it started at all speeds. Also never made the noise when I turned left, like yours.

Turned out to be my brake pads had worn down, more on the right than left. The mechanic told me that's due to having more right turns such as roundabouts etc and is very common.

Maybe check how much meat is on your pads before committing to a costly repair?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, interesting!

I think there are yellow stuff pads on at the moment and I think someone once said they wernt the best, will check it out.

Cheers

·
retroppuS
957 Posts
The yellow stuff are a competent pad. But they need warmed up quite a bit to get a strong bite. I'm now running red stuff, which many will say are inferior to the yellows, however they don't need warmed up as much and are more than adequate for road use.

Let us know what you find! Hopefully it's just a quick fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts