2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my car serviced yesterday, I asked if they could swap the wheels back to front as I've done 22,500 but I would like to wear them out as a set.
As the wheels weren't coming off as the brakes didn't require any work, they said there would be a £30 charge for this.
I think this is expensive, don't know what you think?, so I said no and I will do it myself at home.

·
Super Moderator
20,985 Posts
Franchised dealers often do all manner of small work during servicing to keep your custom.

£30 to perform an action that is/was mentioned in the manual is extortionate IMO. Especially as the 9G came with no jack or tools to do it yourself.

Whilst it's in the air on the lift, with their air gun, what do we reckon, 5 mins max ?

No parts so £360 an hour labour.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once you work it out like that it's worse than I originally thought. I've got a trolly jack so will do it myself perhaps when the fronts have done 25K not bad Avon ZV7'S
THANKS

·
Registered
25 Posts
My Mazda dealer had a sign in reception saying that they recommended rotating the wheels each service, but Mazda didn't allow for it in their standard timings. They gave people a choice of paying the extra - I understand about half of the people coming in chose it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Forgot to say, on my 4x4s I've always swapped wheels around - its not unknown to get major problems otherwise.

On my mazda, and now my civic its just to make sure all the tyres wear out at once and I can put a new set of four on at the same time.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
What major problems would those be?
all sorts of transmission/driveline problems with modern 4x4 systems are possible if the wheels rotate at different speeds due to different diameters of tyre. drivelines & shafts can wind up pressure to the point where things break, my 4x4 has hydraulic clutch packs in the transfer case (front to rear drive) and in each axle center differential - running different dia tyres would at a minimum cause increased friction, heat buildup & premature wear.

I always rotate tyres on that regularly - including the spare which were all new as a set of 5 :nerd:

·
Registered
25 Posts
What major problems would those be?
Usually the differentials or viscous couplings - on most cars they're not designed to operate 100% of the time, and so get hot. When I had two new wheels fitted on my Sorento, the dealer made sure the tyres with the most depth went on the front (its normally front wheel drive, and spins up the rears only when needed).

A work colleage had juddering problems with a BMW xDrive after he had two new tyres. Swapping the tyres front to back fixed it.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=18

1 - 8 of 8 Posts