2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Following on from my thread here.

I've got a wheel wobble, with feedback through the accelerator and chasis at higher road speeds (65+). Sometimes fades off, but is generally quite persistent.

Geometry has been done on the car and also a fresh wheel balance today which did greatly improve things, however the underlying vibration/feedback is still there in the background.

Kenny, the engineer who did the geometry on my car today had problems doing a full FRS set up as one of the front camber bolts wouldn't adjust beyond half a degree. Kenny seems to think that the strut could be bent and this may impact the drive.

So, I may be heading down the replacement strut route, but Kenny phoned me to say that a lot of jap cars tend to have issues with the engine mounting and it could be that, so when the engine hits a certain rpm / road speed it transfers the vibration to the chasis and if that isn't connected correctly can duplicate the symptoms I am having....

So he's asked me to pop over tomorrow so he can drive the motor and get her up on a ramp to check the engine mounting.

Now, I was just wondering whether anyone else has had similar problems?

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just got back from the engineers, definitely not a suspension issue apparently, he said it was a harmonic, a rotational issues so baring or driveshaft, but nothing obvious at the moment.

His advice is to wait another month to see if any other symptoms appear which will lead us to the cause, he said otherwise I would just be throwing my cash at investigations and diagnosis.

So good and bad news really.....

Anyone else experience similar symptoms? What did it turn out to be?

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
sorry to take this back to basics but:

1) Have wheels been checked and they are not buckled?
2) What tyres are you using?
3) Is the tyre treads stepped at all?
4) 100% sure they have been balanced correctly? Maybe swap the rears and front round to see if the issue goes away.

if it was engine mounts you'd feel it throughout the car, not just the steering

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry to take this back to basics but:

1) Have wheels been checked and they are not buckled?
2) What tyres are you using?
3) Is the tyre treads stepped at all?
4) 100% sure they have been balanced correctly? Maybe swap the rears and front round to see if the issue goes away.

if it was engine mounts you'd feel it throughout the car, not just the steering
Yep all of the above checked and okay.

You do feel it through the car, the steering is only a part of the puzzle, I get vibration through the pedals and you can feel the car vibrating slightly.

The bloke who's been looking into it for me comes very highly recommended and does a lot of work on track and race cars.

I don't mind waiting like he's suggested to see if another symptom arises but its been like this for months, so I just don't know how long to wait.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Try balancing wheels on car. Some shops have machine to do that. At least here.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try balancing wheels on car. Some shops have machine to do that. At least here.
That's been done mate, dynamic balancing and in many ways can disguise other issues.

Definitely not the wheels or alloys, and Kenny doesn't think its the suspension, his money is on a rotary issue which is causing the bad harmonic through the car.

Bearing and driveshaft type stuff..... just wondered whether anyone else had a similar problem, might help me narrow it down.

·
Living the dream!
8,539 Posts
I would say cv joint / drive shaft / hub but the hard bit is finding out which side, I know this sounds stupid but do you have access to a set of different wheels to 100% rule them out as it will only take an hour and is a cheap solution to rule them out for sure as wheels cause 90% of these types of issue.

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
I would say cv joint / drive shaft / hub but the hard bit is finding out which side, I know this sounds stupid but do you have access to a set of different wheels to 100% rule them out as it will only take an hour and is a cheap solution to rule them out for sure as wheels cause 90% of these types of issue.
He had the problem before rick ?? I had these on mine & not one wobble vibration or anything ?? He had the same problem with his 16" wheels ? But he noticed it more with these which you will with being bigger wheels & lower profile tyres ? Hope you get it sorted buddy did you get the backs balanced ??

THE BEAST FROM THE NORTH EAST :D

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He had the problem before rick ?? I had these on mine & not one wobble vibration or anything ?? He had the same problem with his 16" wheels ? But he noticed it more with these which you will with being bigger wheels & lower profile tyres ? Hope you get it sorted buddy did you get the backs balanced ??

Yep, it's like Mark said, I had this issue before with different wheels, I'm 99.9% confident its not the wheels.

Plus they've been inspected by two mechanics, balanced, swapped about, so its not the wheels.

Driveshaft, hub and cv joint were all the suggestions the engineer made earlier, but he told me to save my cash until something else developed as it would costs heaps to diagnose and replace them one by one just to try and solve the problem.

Backs not balanced Mark, but the three places and people I've been to have all said it won't make much difference, plus this vibration is coming from the front of the car.

*sigh* .... looks like I'm stuck with this.... :(

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Think I might have this issues, I have a vibrations coming through and it feels like its mainly the nearside front.

Was told by my dealers that it was due to winter tyres but have since had 3 different sets of alloy/tyres on it and the issue is still there.

·
Living the dream!
8,539 Posts
Backs not balanced Mark, but the three places and people I've been to have all said it won't make much difference, plus this vibration is coming from the front of the car.

*sigh* .... looks like I'm stuck with this.... :(
yes it does I had the same problem on a EP3 and once wheel were balanced on the edge behind but next to the spokes and the inside edge as well it was 100% perfect, I always get both edges balanced since on every car we have when fitting tyres even though I only ever noticed this on the EP3

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes it does I had the same problem on a EP3 and once wheel were balanced on the edge behind but next to the spokes and the inside edge as well it was 100% perfect, I always get both edges balanced since on every car we have when fitting tyres even though I only ever noticed this on the EP3
None of the places I've been to have balanced the wheel this way .... do you need to ask, or is it a certain type of balancing?

I guess it's always worth a shot...

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
Rick is right you will get vibration through the peddle with unbalanced backs ? Remember I said I would get the fronts done as you where wanting them fitted when you picked them up & I said to get the back ones balanced ? Get them done buddy you will feel the difference :)

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
& yes again when they are balanced it should be done inside on both sides to even it out ! I don't know what the fronts are done like ? But mine are spread over the wheel on the inside like what rick has said :)

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can someone post up a pic of how the weights should be position when balanced on both sides?

Just so I defo know what you folks are on about lol.

The weights are position in a line, in the middle of the alloy at the moment on the fronts.

How do I get a balancing place to balance them with the weights spread out, some inner and some outer?

Would dynamic balancing help?

·
Living the dream!
8,539 Posts
There you go same wheel 2 sets of weights on each edge, this is how all wheels should be balanced and if not done the garage is cutting corners to either save money or time

also make sure the weights on either edge are in the same area for example if you have 2 lots of weights (different parts of the rim) on the same edge it means they stuck the weights in the wrong place then instead or removing them they proceed to counter balance the weights which in turn can cause problems like this, Basically a numpty did the job. The wheel above had the tyre fitted by the Honda dealer we bought the car from and as you can see they know how to balance a wheel even though they did not know how to track a car http://www.civinfo.com/forum/buying-dealers-servicing/68507-gilders-honda-rotherham-named-shamed.html

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the reply Rick and if this is all down to wheel balancing then I will be a very happy man.

This is how my wheels are currently balanced .... (this is the 2nd time they've been rebalanced)

So, to get the wheels balanced, with the weights split before and after the hub, how do I get a balancing place to do this without them looking at me funny?

As the wheels have been balanced three times all in the above fashion.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts