2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hummm,,,2 questions in one !:)

When you finally hit the red, just how many more miles have you got left before you run dry ? i mean, is the computer meter really that accurate and will the car run dry when the computer hits zero ?

Only asking cos am getting very near the red this month and dont get paid till end of the month so am getting very worried indeed...:(

Many thanks, kev

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts
lol this just reminded me of a time when i was with my mum in the car and the computer was showing the range as 1 mile and we were going to the petrol station.

I could tell she was in panic as she glanced at the computer every 2 seconds. We were literally round the corner from the station.

The range then showed 0 miles. She immediately pulled over. I was like what you doing. She said - "it says i cant do anymore miles, what shall i do?"

i was :rofl:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow,, quick responces everyone, thanks :cool:

Thought i had better add that i drive a 1.8 petrol,,done just under a thousand miles..
From now till the end of the month i will only be doing the 1.5mile trip to work , but,,i go home at lunchtime to let the dog out,,then again at teatime ( my boxer is so good really !),,,so,, roughly about 9 miles a day.

Will all these short 4 minute trips waste more fuel than average ?

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Will all these short 4 minute trips waste more fuel than average ?
Yes, short trips generate less mpg, as the start and initial cold running are not as efficant as warm running.

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
Running a tank all the way down,only sucks up any crap in the tank

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
usually when mine hits zero and I fill her up its always a couple of litres short of the full 50l that is a full tank. So if you think about the amount that could go into the fuel lines and so I would think that 0 left on the computer means you have at least 3 - 4 litres of fuel left.

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
Running a tank all the way down,only sucks up any crap in the tank
Surely this isn't true in modern day fuel injected cars? fair enough cars with carbs sucking in masses of fuel but the fuel is atomised and filtered nowadays with fuel injector systems so surely this is negated?

Does petrol have a shelf life? because I like to use the old stuff and then fill the whole tank with new fuel lol :p

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Mmmm ...

Every time that I have had the "low fuel warning" on the display, I wait (usually) for some 10 \ 20 km, then fill up ...

BUT - every time, I can only 'squeeze' 45 \ 46 litres in the tank ! ...

So, I'd say that when you get the visible warning, there is still 1 Gallon ...

???

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
It will be interesting to see, with your short trips, if you experience the Flat Battery problem. See various posts. Make sure you have the AA number to hand.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Hummm,,,2 questions in one !:)

when in the red,,how many more miles have you got left ?
Well I think that there is probably more resistance in the red (Milano) so less miles than NHB? [smilie=tongue.gif]

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Does petrol have a shelf life? because I like to use the old stuff and then fill the whole tank with new fuel lol :p
Was told years ago that petrol at different times of year has different properties to help it burn depending on the weather/temperature.

"Petrol has to be blended to get the right properties, one important property is its volatility. Petrol is mixed with air in the car engine. When the weather is cold, petrol is difficult to vaporise, so the car is difficult to start. Petrol companies make four different blends for different times of the year. In the winter there are more volatile components, i.e. smaller hydrocarbon molecules. In the summer the blend has fewer more volatile components."

The same goes for Diesel which has a tendancy to cloud in cold temperatures due to the wax content - this can cause blockages and fuel starvation.

Also, during the winter it's advisable not to run your tank low if you have a diesel as there is more possibility for condensation to form in the tank and cause water in fuel problems...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Was told years ago that petrol at different times of year has different properties to help it burn depending on the weather/temperature.

"Petrol has to be blended to get the right properties, one important property is its volatility. Petrol is mixed with air in the car engine. When the weather is cold, petrol is difficult to vaporise, so the car is difficult to start. Petrol companies make four different blends for different times of the year. In the winter there are more volatile components, i.e. smaller hydrocarbon molecules. In the summer the blend has fewer more volatile components."

The same goes for Diesel which has a tendancy to cloud in cold temperatures due to the wax content - this can cause blockages and fuel starvation.

Also, during the winter it's advisable not to run your tank low if you have a diesel as there is more possibility for condensation to form in the tank and cause water in fuel problems...
The only problem with that is, as we live in England, how do they know when it's spring, summer, autumn or winter! Went from 27 degrees sun to, wind, rain, lightning, thunder and then hail stone yesterday. oh the fun of this lovely island :D.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
The only problem with that is, as we live in England, how do they know when it's spring, summer, autumn or winter! Went from 27 degrees sun to, wind, rain, lightning, thunder and then hail stone yesterday. oh the fun of this lovely island :D.
I Think they generally supply us with winter/rain version most of the time... ;)

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
Surely this isn't true in modern day fuel injected cars? fair enough cars with carbs sucking in masses of fuel but the fuel is atomised and filtered nowadays with fuel injector systems so surely this is negated?

so why do you get blocked injectors, there is always some sort of contamination in the tank

1 - 20 of 31 Posts