2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1.5 Sport Plus CVT
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a 58 plate Accord 2.2 EX GT and would like to know at what mileage the timing belt is usually changed at.

Cheers

James

·
1.5 Sport Plus CVT
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats excellent news...lol

All i know about cars is that the engine is usually at the front!

Thanks for your help guys.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
If it's common rail like the civic (cdti) I believe you don't have one...
Common rail doesn't mean it has to be chain driven cam axle... Lots of cars (look at Renault dCi) have timing belts...

-------------------------------
Just to clarify, nowadays Honda engines have chains instead of timing belts, so no change needed if it doesn't make any strange noises.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ye well done honda,no nasty repair bill for a cambelt failure .
Its not exactly as simple as that unfortunately. The earlier accords have an extended warranty in place for timing chain replacement. Poor servicing and the wrong oil grade can cause premature wear on the chain. I understand some chains have even snapped in extreme cases.

Make sure you change your oil regularly and only use 0W-30 oil and genuine honda filters. Some people are changing the oil every 6000 miles to be on the safe side.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Its not exactly as simple as that unfortunately. The earlier accords have an extended warranty in place for timing chain replacement. Poor servicing and the wrong oil grade can cause premature wear on the chain. I understand some chains have even snapped in extreme cases.

Make sure you change your oil regularly and only use 0W-30 oil and genuine honda filters. Some people are changing the oil every 6000 miles to be on the safe side.
Always good advice, that being said though surely the chain will need replacing at some point in the engines life, when?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Theres no set milage for a chain change like there is for a belt. If the car is well serviced with the correct oil and filters then it should be able to last the life of the engine. Chains on higher milage cars can start to rattle a little though. But by this stage you'd have to weight the costs of getting a new chain against the value of the car.

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
Called one of my local dealers to ask about a timing belt change for a 2.2 diesel and told me 75k miles and would be £275, saw this thread and called another one in the group and confirmed it's a chain and doesn't need replacing. Dodgy bugger tried to rip me off.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts

Check in your service book for the section regarding 'Extreme Driving Conditions'. There should be a heck of a lot more people changing their oil more frequently too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts