2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

right, dont shoot me, if this is a silly question, this is my first type r... so i dont know much about when the ivteh kicks in...

ive had the car for 3 months now and been driving carefully, ive just done over 1k now (was told to wear it in least 1k before i do any of the ivtech business ) but when is the best rpm time to change gears.. in this i mean what the max i should rev it to?? i dont want to over rev it, so..

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
It's a Honda... Rev it untill the fuel light comes on lol change before the limiter and I heard they have vtec rev lights change before the last one turns on? Or when it turns on

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
I've only had mine a few months but would have thought that the rev lights ( orange lights opposite the type r logo on dash) are the best indication eg 2 4 6 then change. Other people may know better to us newbies though :popcorn2:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
.... the max i rev up to is 5k rmp and that already sound like its gunna blow up... and the rev wasnt even on....god know what would happen if i rev up to the light goes on.... might get a brown trouser accident lol

but on a serious note... really what is the best rpm to rev to on each gear??? something i dont notice the rev light

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
You should be using the whole rev range during running in Running in - Civinfo Wiki

Don't be scared - the Type-R loves to be revved :D

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
The rev light doesn't come on till about 6500 rpm. Trust me the engine note will change and you wont so much think it's going to blow up more like take off!!! The rev limited kicks in shortly after the 6 th light comes on. Try it:cool:

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Tccoc Your have an FN2 civic type these are the facts:

warm engine up for at least 10mins make that Oil warm!

Rev range is up tp 8000rpm think my rev limiter was 8200rpm standard

At 5400rpm your engine note will change you'll have more power and a little VTEC light on the right hand side of the speedo, your now in Vtec mode! this is were your car becomes the animal we all love!

At 7400rpm the rev lights on the left light up in 200rpm sections 2 then 4 then 6 when 6 are on change gear before you bounce of the rev limiter.
If your driving for fun change gear at the redline
for economy change at 3000rpm
The Type R engine is a rev hungry machine! its a totally different way of driving to be honest.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all so confusing to a newbie like me.... i kno type r engine are made to rev hard... i just didnt expect it to be that hard .... really do appreciate all the comment, but can ***** put it in simplify for me ... so let say the engine warm been driving for 30min...

1 gear.... max rpm ......
2 gear ...max rpm....
3 gear.... max rpm....

u get the idea.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
okay if your going for a Excited drive change every gear at max rpm!...
1st 8000rpm
2nd 8000rpm
3rd 8000rpm
4th 5th 6th all 8000rpm but by then you'll be doing way into 130mph

If I am doing some lovely B-roads I will try to keep my revs between 6000-8000rpm so I always have power. I am mainly in 2nd and 3rd gears.

I had to learn how to throttle match my down shifts and also heal and toe so I could brake and down shift gears while keeping my revs up at 6000rpm.

It will take some getting used to at first but just take your car out and push the pedal flat. get used to the vtec way of driving it took me best part of 2 months to convert from turbo to Vtec

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
thank, ... but even getting to 4k rpm is hard enough where i live (central London)
i think i was in the vtec zone while driving to standard airport, no rev light came but i manage 5k rpm lol ..... or am i being a idiot and im no where near the vtec zone

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
your 400rpm off the Vtec zone lol trust me the engine noise is about 2 times as loud when you hit it so you'll know it in a second!

I can imagine that living in london is harsh you should move down here to the country side lol The red Light on the right hand side of the speed (vtec light) comes on with vtec at 5400rpm so just hammer it in 2nd and you'll find out all of what you have been missing :D

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
thank, ... but even getting to 4k rpm is hard enough where i live (central London)
i think i was in the vtec zone while driving to standard airport, no rev light came but i manage 5k rpm lol and i was pooin my self doin 65mph..... or am i being a idiot and im no where near the vtec zone
I've corrected your mistake ;)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
your 400rpm off the Vtec zone lol trust me the engine noise is about 2 times as loud when you hit it so you'll know it in a second!

I can imagine that living in london is harsh you should move down here to the country side lol The red Light on the right hand side of the speed (vtec light) comes on with vtec at 5400rpm so just hammer it in 2nd and you'll find out all of what you have been missing :D
Easy said then done.... even at 5000 rpm i found it loud... this type r is my first 'fast' car so im still learning how to drive it..

ps thanks for the PM;);)

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I remember my first Fast car. So different! 5k rpm is a long way up the rev range, 8k seems some how wrong and it's miles away lol just put ya foot down cos I'd you think 5k rpm is loud your in for a shock. Lol but a good shock

Ps your welcome

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I remember my first Fast car. So different! 5k rpm is a long way up the rev range, 8k seems some how wrong and it's miles away lol just put ya foot down cos I'd you think 5k rpm is loud your in for a shock. Lol but a good shock

Ps your welcome
we'll let u know how i get on....if i even hit that 8000rpm mark...

·
This may be spam
1,504 Posts
The engine sound completely changes when you enter vtec, the car is designed to be driven extremely hard and you are not getting anything out of a type R if you are shifting at 4-5k rpm

·
AKA - Vin Petrol
1,821 Posts
Is it me or are you making v tec sound like the holy grail? Just put your foot down on a motorway slip road and change up at 8k.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts