2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new Civic Type R a couple of months ago.The dealer told me that I shouldn't hammer the car for the first 1000km (620 miles), and the car manual only mentions "avoid rapid acceleration".

Is generally shifting at about 3500 rmp ok for a new CTR? I have only hit vtec once so far (it was cool :D) and apart from that my driving has been pretty calm.

Sorry, I'm new to driving a manual car and will welcome any tips.
Thanks!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Alright. What I`m going to tell you here might come as a shock but at least you can learn from it.

That dealer is an idiot.

On a brandnew car you get in and drive away, let the engine get up to temperature and then, when you see an empty road, you set the revs at 3000 rpm in 3rd gear and then FLOOR IT RIGHT UP TO THE REV LIMITER.
You then let go of the throttle untill the rpms are at 3000 rpm again and then you repeat.
You do this for 20 minutes straight.
After this your piston rings will have worn in correctly and you will never have excessive oilconsumption, supertight combustion seal so your engine will have more topend power than stock, the valve seats have been run in instantly so no leakage.
I did this with all my new cars for the past 20 years. Always had more dyno power than stock and no oil consumption even at high mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Alright. What I`m going to tell you here might come as a shock but at least you can learn from it.

That dealer is an idiot.

On a brandnew car you get in and drive away, let the engine get up to temperature and then, when you see an empty road, you set the revs at 3000 rpm in 3rd gear and then FLOOR IT RIGHT UP TO THE REV LIMITER.
You then let go of the throttle untill the rpms are at 3000 rpm again and then you repeat.
After this your piston rings will have worn in correctly and you will never have excessive oilconsumption, supertight combustion seal so your engine will have more topend power than stock, the valve seats have been run in instantly so no leakage.
I did this with all my new cars for the past 20 years. Always had more dyno power than stock and no oil consumption even at high mileage.
+1. I've always used all of the rev range when braking in. The engine is run in on the bench anyway.

·
Wife & Civics to support
235 Posts

That dealer is an idiot.

+1... sound advise. [smilie=gt-happyup.:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

That dealer is an idiot.

This is exactly what I have read from numerous sources, and how I have been running in a new Mazda.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts