2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a 57 Civic Type R GT and i have a problem with a build up of water in the passengers footwell.

a friend of mine has had the same problem but with a vectra and basically the outside air intake pipe has been blocked with leaves and other stuff.

i could be wrong about the type of vent but its something to do with his aircon anyway but his is under the bonnet where's mine?

where is the outside air intake drain pipes on a civic, i heard it was in the wheel arch but that sounds a bit retarded.

please help me this is driving me crazy

·
Registered
346 Posts
Air is pulled in from under the scuttle - around the wipers there is a plastic trim full width and on the passemgers side it is perforated. That is the air intake point. To be honest I would be surprised if it were blocked with leaves as they can't get in there. The drain to that area is down in to the wheel arches but if that were your cause that the area under that trim would be swimming and you'd be able to see it. Would suspect you cause is different, especially if your pollen filter is dry as that sits in the intake which is where the water would come in.

Can't help you with where though. Try a shower test, get you head down in the affected area and have someone concentrate a hose on various areas outside inc' door and window seals and the bulkhead under the bonnet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well once i dry it out it slowly builds up. the leak comes up from underneath somewhere as the matts are wet underneath but not on top.

where abouts is the drain to that area, as i think it could be blocked going out

·
Registered
346 Posts
well once i dry it out it slowly builds up. the leak comes up from underneath somewhere as the matts are wet underneath but not on top.

where abouts is the drain to that area, as i think it could be blocked going out
No drain in that area as it should not get wet. Maybe try the shower test on the lower bulk head and also the floor pan - could be a floor bung missing. Also roof if you have glass, top of screen and top of doors as it could be running down inside.

Problem is really need the seat carpet up to see the trickle if it's slow. I had a simlair problem in early 90's on a Ballade, used to have to dry the whole carpet every spring.

:confused::worms:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Is the wetness water or anti-freeze, if its anti-freeze then the heater may be leaking? This was a common problem with Fords, you'd also smell a coffee smell in the cabin.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
Is the wetness water or anti-freeze, if its anti-freeze then the heater may be leaking? This was a common problem with Fords, you'd also smell a coffee smell in the cabin.
Yup, rusted thru heater matrix....

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
well it could be the heater as i think it was wet once after using the aircon on a very hot sunny day.
Interesting! The AC has a hose pipe that sends the condensation out side and under the car, all AC units have this and you should see a puddle under the car once you stop at the lights or on your drive way on hot days, I wonder if this has got disconnected somehow? Does it only occur when the AC is on or after?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah it happens after its been on and during, but recently been happening even when its off and just the normal heater is on

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I'd book it in and get Honda to check the whole system, its either a leak from the heater unit (loose pipe, etc) or something like that. There are water pipes going to the heater as the water helps heat up and cool the heating unit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts