2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ,

Purchased a 2007 type r from bristol honda 2 weeks ago . Since i've had it 3rd gear has been notchy , its popped out of 1st gear and 3rd gear once .

took it to honda 4pm yesterday they now called me 11am today and said that no faults can be found . In my haste i told them under the 30 day exchange policy i no longer wanted the car , a salesman is going to ring me back to talk to me .

Any tips for either getting the work done , as there is obviously a big problem or whether or not i can simply exchange ? I'd probable exchange for something cheap and crap and pay the finance off in one then sell it.

thanks in advance

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
This IS a known fault - go back to the Dealer and insist on an extended test drive with a mechanic - you drive one way and the mechanic drives back - if the fault pops up, it's up to the Dealer to sort it ...

Otherwise, invoking the 30 day exchange rule isn't a bad idea ! - at least you'll get their attention - why not try a different CTR ? - give the Dealer the choice of replacement (even if they have to 'second-source') or repair ...

Reactions: rosscopecotrain

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help , i've been speaking to the salesperson and he's gonna look into it . he did seem a bit concerned when i told him that they can have the car back so hopefully the problem will get sorted .

I also called honda UK and they are going to look into it to .

The honda bulletin i found on here stating the symptons and fix helped a lot as well !

Not a bad idea about a different CTR , i know they dont have many at that dealer but i'm sure its easy for them to source so it may be something to think about if they come back with a no .

Thanks

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I have the very same issue, infact I'm calling my honda dealer now. I originally thought it was the third gear synchro issue that Mr Riddell is talking about. Honda Uk agreed for it to be sorted free of charge. I took it to Honda who told me that it wasn't the known synchro fault but instead insisted that is was a problem with the clutch release bearing. They replaced the bearing at a cost of £300 bloody quid and for a month I didn't feel the notch any more. Recently it is back though, feels just as it did before.
I say kick their asses, talk to your dealer before going to honda uk as the dealers get their butts handed to them by HUK and get a bit upset if you go directly to HUK before at least trying to resolve it with them.
Just be firm but polite, explain that this is not normal and they know it too. It get's sorted or it goes back. It really grates when you have to live with it, trust me :)

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I'm now waiting on a call back to see what they try and fob me off with haha

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
It is an annoying fault. 2nd to 3rd gear are the best in the R and you want it to be a nice quick smooth change. Having to hold the clutch in for five seconds to make sure the gear is in properly totally ruins things. That's not how this car should be at all. Odd that we both have the 2007 model which are the ones with the known fault.
You have to be quite firm with the dealers, it is only fair that your car works the way it should after all!

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah totally agree with you. Ive only had it 2 weeks and havent even really driven it hard as I'm to worried that I'll knacker the gear box ! I traded in a celica t-sport against it which used to take no end of abuse , kinda wish I still had it !

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
any chance you can take the car out with a passenger and camcorder ??

they can't argue then,

it's how i proved the parking sensors didn't work, even tho the dealership could not replicate the fault :facepalm: or didn't want to !!

what did they say about the bulletin ??? :)

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
any chance you can take the car out with a passenger and camcorder ??

they can't argue then,

it's how i proved the parking sensors didn't work, even tho the dealership could not replicate the fault :facepalm: or didn't want to !!

what did they say about the bulletin ??? :)
I did think about getting someone to film it but I think it would be to hard to really show the extra effort needed to sometimes put it into 3rd.

To be honest I think they know about third gear being notchy , it happens to much for them to have not noticed. They probably just act like it's normal !

I may try and set up a camera every time I first start it it up and see
If I can catch it jumping out of first.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot to say about the bulletins .

I told the salesman that i had them in front of me and that they had been issued to all honda dealers so it was obvious they knew about the fault . He asked what it said and i told him about the symptons and fix.he called me back later saying that it was a known fault but without being able to replicate it they cant get the authority to fix it . Thats when i said they can have the car back , so now he's gonna call me in the morning after he's spoken to his manager .

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
I forgot to say about the bulletins .

I told the salesman that i had them in front of me and that they had been issued to all honda dealers so it was obvious they knew about the fault . He asked what it said and i told him about the symptons and fix.he called me back later saying that it was a known fault but without being able to replicate it they cant get the authority to fix it . Thats when i said they can have the car back , so now he's gonna call me in the morning after he's spoken to his manager .
best of luck !! keep moaning or kick off in the dealership :) they used to hate me doing that !!

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/meetings/47241-cribbs-causeway-civic-meet-4.html

Seeing Bristol Honda hosted a meet, one would think they would relate to someone from Civinfo not talking ...........try getting hold of that person.

However, I can't see that the person from BH ever signed the messages, so you'd have to ask someone who went who s/he was, as a maybe better/more sympathetic contact.

Also appreciate that BH have a depot at Brislington as well (and still at Eastgate?), so you might not be talking to Cribbs Causeway. Good luck,

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I traded in a celica t-sport against it which used to take no end of abuse , kinda wish I still had it !
Noooooooo, despite these faults the R is still awesome. It's a car you just like more the more you drive it. Hard to explain but the car takes a bit of getting used to, you'll learn a lot about it the longer you have it. It's a very fun car to drive. Just get this gearing issue sorted and all will be good!

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Mine is booked back in for the 27th. I'm going out for a drive with some one to try and replicate it before they agree to do anything. So that's stage one, then when they feel it I'll have to convince them that it is a fault and that I have technically already paid for it to be fixed.... not looking forward to it already hahaha

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I would be interested to know the outcome since your car no longer has its original 3 years manufacturer warranty as I'm in a similar situation :(

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok guys just a quick update . They called me back today and have agreed to fix it . I'm not sure what they mean by fix it , whether this is doing what it says in the bulletin i told them about which would mean replacing the 3rd-4th gear syncro mesh or whether they are planning to do something else .

They did state it would take up to 2 weeks which i thought was a long time , they said they had to put the request into to honda and it can sometimes take a while . they also agreed to pay the £12 a day insurance costs on the silly little bright blue jazz i'm currently driving round in !

I just hope when i get it back it drives like its supposed to and i can finally start to enjoy it !

To answer jonathan w comment , the car is out of its original warranty but i do have a 2 year honda happiness warranty with it , i suppose the fact that i only purchased it 2 weeks ago and was threatening to give it back helped a lot . I have no doubt if i had have had the car for say 6 months then they would of stood there ground and not repaired it .

Thanks all for your help and comments !

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
My only comment is that if they have the car for 2 weeks, it will take you over the 30 day Honda exchange plan, if they do not resolve problem, you will not be able to exchange it then, I think you need to get them to clarify what they are going to do in writing, just to cover your back. :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts