2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tend to travel with all 3 in my car. The tomtom isnt too bad as its on the screen, but i cant really figure out a good place to put my ipod and phone to make them easy enough to use without much fuss.

Had them in cup holders on my last car, but find with them in the cup holders they get in the way of changing gear.

Anyone found a good spot for them yet

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
TomTom Go sits at bottom right of windscreen, and is only plugged in to the cigarette lighter when the battery is low (Saves the cable trailing across the dashboard).

Because my Go functions as a handsfree kit for my phone, the phone can go anywhere, usually in the storage space in front of the gearstick.

Haven't bothered trying to get the Ipod connected up (I'm happy using MP3 CDs), but if I went down the FM transmitter route, I'd probably keep it in the cup holder.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i keep my phone in the drivers door handle or in my pocket![smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I used to mount my TomTom on the dash, just to the right of the radio info screen, on that flat bit there.

My iPod went in the 'slidy bit' next to your seat, with the FM transmittor plugged in to the fag lighter, nice and neat looking.:cool:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have TomTom running on a PDA - this sits on the right hand side of the car (attached to the windscreen), in order not to impede vision (the A pillar is directly behind it as the cradle has a bendy arm). One annoying trait of modern society is we aftermarket SatNav users now have to remove the cradle each time the car is left unattended, followed by a wipe of the screen to remove the ring left by the windscreen sucker - seems laborious but I believe essential to stop the thieving scumbags damaging your pride and joy. One other point to note is the boys in blue will pull you over if your SatNav is in the middle of the screen - i believe they use a similar rule to that of the MoT stations when they examine windscreens for chips - can't recall the rule verbatim but a chip has to be a certain size or less in order to pass the MoT - not heard of a prosecution as I am sure this would hit the headlines in the motoring etc

Phone lives in the glove box when using a Bluetooth headset (which is currently AWOL) or in the door handle when on a wired headset.

Although the Ipod is an essential piece of kit, i have yet to connect it to the car - previous car has an aux (3.5mm jack installed or Ipod control if purchased separately) - this was stored in the glove box out of harms way, fully clothed in its case.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I'm thinking of getting the new Nokia N95 with a big fat memory card for my tune's and tomtom mobile6 installed (for speed cams!).

That's only one device to worry about!

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
I have TomTom running on a PDA - this sits on the right hand side of the car (attached to the windscreen), in order not to impede vision (the A pillar is directly behind it as the cradle has a bendy arm).
Is this not in danger of getting in the way of the curtain airbags, should they be deployed ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good point, but perhaps my description wasn't that clear and photo would be easier...

I don't think it will cause issue worth the curtain bag as it is still attached to the windscreen, and is to the left of the A pillar, but bent slightly to maximise vision, although the windscreen is still blocked partially

The curtain Airbags are supposed to run down the site of the vehicle are they not, as opposed to heading in the direction of the driver...?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ipod: don't have one
Phone: nobody calls me anyway, so it's allways in my pocket
TomTom: I have a TomTom one new Edition and it fits perfectly on top of the central cupholders and hold by the sliding bit: No suction cup marks, no restricted vision and within arms reach.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Phone goes into the box in front of the gearstick. G-Forces make it slide around in there though. Bluetooth headset goes in there when I step out and take the phone with me.
So sometimes I put the phone into the cupholder-centre-slidedoor-box-thingy. Since that is full of junk, it slides around less.

Centre-armrest-box has my sunglasses (Ray-ban, offical HondaF1 Sponsor ;) ) and my CD's, and sometimes wallet (don't tell the bad guys).

Passenger seat occupies my laptop. Passenger seat rear pocket holds some papers.
Space under rear-seats holds big Honda umbrella.

Roadmaps/Manual and yummy things go in the dash-cave, since I wouldn't call it a glovebox. Paris Hilton could fit 4 of those doglike animals in there (if she was allowed to get into a car that is).

Don't use SatNav. I just like to get lost, makes me drive around more which is fun.

Oh and I put myself into the driver seat.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Good point, but perhaps my description wasn't that clear and photo would be easier...

I don't think it will cause issue worth the curtain bag as it is still attached to the windscreen, and is to the left of the A pillar, but bent slightly to maximise vision, although the windscreen is still blocked partially

The curtain Airbags are supposed to run down the site of the vehicle are they not, as opposed to heading in the direction of the driver...?
No that's fine - Thought from your initial description that the bendy arm and/or pda was quite close to the side window, near the A pillar.

The curtain airbags, I believe go down the side windows, but would imagine that the A pillar trim may move outwards a bit to let them out when they deploy.

I hope I never see my curtain airbags (or any of them for that matter)!

·
Registered
98 Posts
PJR,

Having been involved in a nasty head on where every airbag went off (didn't have curtains, but had two front and sides), rest assured, they work.

The side airbag saved by pelvis from being shattered, the drivers did the obvious, although the amount of black plastic i found over the following weeks was somewhat worrying - goes everywhere, and I recall there being an awful lot of smoke...!

Made me change my opinion on what counts in a car, Euro-Ncap became a very important part of the purchases made after the accident.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Phone stays in my pocket (nokia N80), tomtom one attaches to the dashboard, ipod in centre armrest, me in drivers seat and partner in passenger seat, starbucks in cupholders, think thats all.................oh, 2 sets of golf clubs and wheels and tennis rackets in boot. That really is all!

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
If you need bespoke mounting solutions I can't recommend highly enough both RAM Mounts and gps warehouse as the UK supplier.

http://www.gpsw.co.uk/about/page25.html

The mounts work a treat - I use them for both cameras and GPS on my motorbike - they dont move wobble or vibrate - a truly professional solution and not that expensive. Don't bother with the cheap mounts from the auto stores or market stalls do it properly.

gpsw have a very helpful technical support line and are more than willing to offer advice on specific installations.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts