2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an intermittent and annoying issue with my car that's been there since I bought it in that the gearchange isn't what I think it should be (not good enough imo)

I've mentioned this before on another thread o mine, as I was having problems getting 1st when stood, then 1st to 2nd, and 3rd to 4th (at higher rmps mostly though!)

Car was due it's service any way, and going off of what some of you were saying it seemed like a box oil swap could well help, and to that end I did get it done as part of the service, and it has definitely "helped" too! Thing is though that whilst the box oil swap has greatly improved the situation it still has its "moments" where it can be an utter bitch and let the side down!

The main issue is engaging 1st when stood in traffic, it's not always there though which is what makes me think its not necessarily a box issue as I'm wondering if the clutch master cylinder might be a bit knacked!?, I do have intermittent problems with a squeaking/creaking clutch pedal and I'm wondering if me semi riding/covering the clutch pedal when stop starting in traffic is causing an issue with a weak master cyl!?

It's not just getting 1st though, sometimes to get reverse without it crunching I have to sit with the clutch depressed and basically hold the lever over the gate until it wants to pop in cleanly on its own, and other times I still have a slight issue getting 2nd and
with 3rd to 4th and sometimes it can baulk a bit going into 5th!

Having done the box oil, and (not that I think this will REALLY matter) also added a short shift kit and skunk2 gear knob, and with it being an intermittent thing my next guess is the master cyl, possibly the clutch too, but is there anything else I should consider before chasing this?

Been living with it for a few months now since having had the service done, and when it does work (the gearbox) it's a lovely short throw and a pleasure to use, it's just those times when it doesn't wanna play ball!!

I know I probably make it sound like I've got a total dog of a car, but it's just annoying when most of the time it's a joy to use, it's just those times when it isn't that spoil it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
First and easiest thing to try is bleeding the system. If that works initially and then degrades you will know its either master or slave cylinder ( keep an eye on the fluid level ). Not sure if you have a clutch damper in the circuit but these can cause issues too. Maybe your short shifter needs adjusting too ?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm might give that a go, having said that my biting point isn't that low, but it does sound like it could help!, would have thought it'd have been a crap change all the time though and not just "sometimes"??

·
Administrator
18,013 Posts
Randomness in the clutch could be tired, old fluid or a dodgy clutch damper. Turned out to be the latter on mine.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,277 Posts
I'd bleed the clutch then adjust the bite first. Honda service manual says the bite should engage 67mm off the floor (diagonal bit).

Had similar albeit not as bad symptoms in mine but my clutch was also dead. I bled system, changed clutch, changed master and slave as both were squeaking and damper for good measure. Gears are now 90% smooth, just get the odd notchy fourth which is common so can live with it.

Before the change of the above the gears were stiff and needed nursing in.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
I am experiencing similar, my clutch, master, slave, fluids (x3) have all been changed and bleed numerous times. None of this has cured the problem. The master has also been adjusted all through the range but with no luck. Only thing left for me is the clutch damper and gear linkage (unlikely as my car is still low mileage).

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a look/feel at my clutch pedal and bite point this morning and yeah there might be a slight need to bring it up higher but not much really!, what bugs me is the intermittent nature of the problems I have because when it's working well it's a lovely box to use, it's just those times when it isn't!

Must admit I'm not looking to throw money at it needlessly to try and sort this, I'll just do what I can and hope it helps!

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,277 Posts
The biting point can matter to the mm. When I refitted my master, slave & damper the bite dropped to 55mm off the floor and the gears were absolutely horrendous. Did one full twist of the cmc rod to get it to spec 67mm and gears are now butter smooth.

Transforms the car, clutch and gears most take for granted but when they go wrong the car is horrible to drive day-to-day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts