2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the cheapest and best place to buy these? Ive checked the Spoon Euro website and they dont have them :(.....but the do have 7.5% sale on all products.

Are these collars worth the money, ive watched the video and understand how the work, but how do the feel ?

Cheers

·
aka Colin
10,854 Posts
I can't find the link for the other company, I'll have another search tomorrow, I'm sure there's an English company making them too. I came across them when I was thinking of getting these.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
timmy.com has these also and thinks they made a big difference to how the car feels

·
aka Colin
10,854 Posts
do you really think honda would be allowed to manufacture a car that needs aftermarket collars to stop movement in the subframe? these are a placebo mod in my opinion, complete waste of money.....in my opinion....

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Rigid Collar EU and Spoon Sports Europe are the same people.

I got my set from Spoon Sports Europe, RDH Japan also sell them, but I'm sure when I last looked Spoon Sports Europe were cheaper.

I honestly really rate these, the car just feels stiffer and more precise. There's a nice little video on Youtube (I think) showing the science behind the collars and why they work.

Its well known Spoon dont make plecebo mods (unlike maybe J's Racing) everything Spoon do is to make the car better, if they think the OEM Airbox is up to the job then there'll not make one so I beleive if Spoon are making and fitting these then they must do something!

·
Aye Aye....
7,098 Posts
do you really think honda would be allowed to manufacture a car that needs aftermarket collars to stop movement in the subframe? these are a placebo mod in my opinion, complete waste of money.....in my opinion....
In a way I do agree Colin, I think all of these types of mods (including polybushes, braces etc etc) won't do much individually but cumulatively they will work well, however I think it's clear that there is movement between the subframe and the chassis given that a common fault with the FN2 is the dirt which gets clogged up between the subframe and chassis causing that daft clicking noise, I'm guessing that wouldn't happen if the chassis and subframe were perfectly aligned and solid together

·
Registered
22 Posts
I mounted a big Lower Strut Bar under my Fn2.
Also doing Track rides sometimes on the Nordschleife.

Yesterday i was under my car looking for some movement...
uncentered imprints...

There is none every bolt is centered as it was from the beginning.

Cant imagine that a new car is that wobbly...

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
dont think anyone is saying the car `needs` these but then, do they `need` different cams, oil pumps or any other kind of mods?
think this is kind of like saying they wouldnt make a car with rubber bushes with so much flex...or a k20 with only 200bhp when they could have done so much more...or single piston calipers. you get my drift. when the subframe bolts come out the holes which they fitted in are by no means a tight fit so under some duress it surely follows that there would be slight movement and geometery changes at the front end. for most of, yeah probably no need but that goes the same for strut braces etc. we still do it. guess this modding thing we does is kind of an addiction which a lot of us just cant help :D

·
Go Hard or Go Home!
2,063 Posts
These kind of modifications deffinitely make a difference, not in a way that means the oem product wasnt of good quality and need replacing but was manufactured to meet certain requirements. End of the day the civic is a road car that people use in all sorts of different ways, and to change it to something that feels more track-orientated for instance you need to do away with parts that made the car handle well on a normal road journey to something created for harder punishment, constant quicker speeds with sharp turns, sharper handling ect ect. Doesnt mean there was anything wrong with the oem kit though :)

I looked at the oem bushes of the wishbones, rear beam and arb when they got removed and they looked good just soft and allowed some give. The polybush ones are solid with no give whatsoever, so big and solid were the rear beam ones that i think if you threw it at someone, theyd have broken bones from the impact. The handling and sharpness of the car was transformed, so much so that the coilovers i was going to get so i could stiffen the front end up might not need to be purchased.

As for the rigid collar kit, i cant comment but im guessing it has a similar stiffening affect as the bushes. A perfectly fine car turns into a perfectly fine stiffer sharper car with improved handling.

My 2 pence spent :)

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Yeah, imagine eh?

Next thing you know they will be using SACHS shock absorbers which last no more than 40k miles.

:rolleyes:

Or even letting cars leave the factory with worn 3rd, 4th gear synchro's

Or a putting a naff clutch on the 2.2 diesel so it slips after 60k

or using cheap plastic on the dash that rattles

Or door handles that snap off for no reason.

or paint that is thinner than piss

or springs that creak

crazy times.....

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys, ive got no doubt they work I just wanted to get them a bit cheaper. My sub frame creaks and groans all the time, so was going to get these to fix it.

Wonder if I could get tegiwa to make them ......

1 - 20 of 36 Posts