2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
for those wondering where to put their windscreen mounted satnav

i had a small headache of where to put my satnav. after much sliding around the dash, passenger seat and arm rest i decided to get a fixture.

one solution was to buy a clear plastic book holder from rymans stick some velcro to it and use the sucker on the satnav on the book holder. but leaves you with velcro on the dash.

the next idea was to get it "professionaly" installed by halfords, but the price and options were sheet. (£109 to stick an extra panel by the gear stick)

my last idea was to buy a dash mounting disc from tomtom.co.uk and its perfect. can still see the road and blower info. no need to look down and take my eyes off the road

just slide the non slip mat over the disc and terry tea leaf is none the wiser :D

im looking into the rooting of the cable

Attachments

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
I have mine on the right hand side, easy to reach and does not obscure, have it sitting on the plastic disc that is stuck solid to the dash, also had it hard wired but I can just unhook it when I leave the car and you can hardly see the wire. It s a very tidy job.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have mine on the right hand side, easy to reach and does not obscure, have it sitting on the plastic disc that is stuck solid to the dash, also had it hard wired but I can just unhook it when I leave the car and you can hardly see the wire. It s a very tidy job.

DIY wire root?

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
I do this too. Put the wire over the steering wheel and down to the cig lighter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't want to stick anything to my dash and realised the only thing stopping me from using the standard TomTom mount on the front display was the size of the suction cup. As such I purchased one with a smaller fitting from here;
. Sure enough it sticks (see pictures), however, it does need to positioned at that specific angle in order to pull the clip down.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
I didn't want to stick anything to my dash and realised the only thing stopping me from using the standard TomTom mount on the front display was the size of the suction cup. As such I purchased one with a smaller fitting from here; Ktech EASYPORT Suction Cup Window Mount for TomTom XL Classic / 22 series Regional & Europe: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics. Sure enough it sticks (see pictures), however, it does need to positioned at that specific angle in order to pull the clip down.
Yeah my nab an sits there as well. Obscures nothing and doesn't vibrate

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn't want to stick anything to my dash and realised the only thing stopping me from using the standard TomTom mount on the front display was the size of the suction cup. As such I purchased one with a smaller fitting from here; Ktech EASYPORT Suction Cup Window Mount for TomTom XL Classic / 22 series Regional & Europe: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics. Sure enough it sticks (see pictures), however, it does need to positioned at that specific angle in order to pull the clip down.
Right. Is there some trick to getting it to stick to that little space? I can't get it to hold. It'll stick to everything else, but not that area. What gives???

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right. Is there some trick to getting it to stick to that little space? I can't get it to hold. It'll stick to everything else, but not that area. What gives???
i do think it dosn't stick because the dash is slightly textured which lets the air in under the suction cup

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
i just use my phone and cradle :D

pity i forgot to take the phone out my pocket in this pic :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
6,766 Posts
Mine sticks OK. I ordered that exact one from the link. You just need to get the angle right like in gstubbin's pictures.

This is mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i do think it dosn't stick because the dash is slightly textured which lets the air in under the suction cup
Sorry, I've been away.

Yeah, if you can't get it to stick I think it's to do with the angle, if you put it at about 45 degrees it seems to hold - but again you are a little limited to how you can position it. I did some serious millage with it on and it hasn't fallen of yet! :D

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Yeeppp - where [Loxy] has his is best ...

Near the centre line of the vehicle - where you can see it without moving your hesd ...

If it isn't stable, there are lots of mounts / feet on the maarket, that will sit securely - then you mount your unit on that ...

·
Registered
368 Posts
I mounted mine to the dash using this...

Nav-Mat II - Next Generation Sat-Nav Mounting Solution | Southmid Limited

Didn't get mine from these guys, had to have it shipped from the states back in 2010 when I first got the car. Rock solid, hasn't moved thousands of miles later. It fits right in front of the radio/temp display. GPS/phone mounted does not obscure display.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.