2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried a bunch of cars during the last year, it was a bit hard to make up my mind until the new Civic was finally announced. Thought, just fot the hell of it, I'd list them here. I've put them into a chronological order.
  • Honda Jazz. This was on top of my list before the Civic came out. Amazing convertible interiors, and the CVT automatic just rocks.
  • Peugeot 1007. Pretty cool, but I thought it was too pricey for a pair of nifty electric doors. Fairly comfortable to ride, but I found the chassis and suspension a bit stiff to my liking.
  • Mercedes-Benz A 170A. A nice city car. Comfortable smooth ride, also has CVT. I liked it, but found it a tad too pricey and not nearly as stylish as the Civic. I admit to considering this even after ordering my Civic, as there was a nice discout offer a month ago.
  • Suzuki SX4 Outdoor Line. A nifty new 4WD crossover. Handles well in tight turns and has a very responsive gearbox. But I was shocked (literally) to find out how they had gotten the car to sway so little in tight turns despite its height: the suspension and the chassis are ridiculously stiff for a car that's supposed to handle less-than-smooth dirt roads. I tried taking a short trip on a slightly bumpy dirt road in my area, and my glasses almost fell off. Shaken, not stirred.
Still considering to test drive Citroën C4 Coupé, but I don't think it'll sway my opinion much. Oh yeah, and Fiat Panda 4x4 - if it ever actually arrives in Finland. :)

But I guess the list shows what kind of a car I've been looking for?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Civic was the ONLY car that made me even consider changing from my 4yr old Mondeo 1.8 - if the Civic hadn't caught my eye I'd still be in my trusty Mondeo.

I looked at the Focus, tried to add as many options on the top range model to bring it "close" to the spec of the Civic, could have saved 3500 pounds but at the end of the day I just couldn't see myself in such a boring looking Focus, I much preferred the original shape of the Focus - most reviews of the new model say the same, they've improved on everything except they were too conservative with the shape.

Astra, Golf, BMW not even worth bothering with when you look at how much it would cost to get all the Civic EX features on them!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Toyota Celica 190 - would be amazing on the track but was too stiff for the road. Every lump of bump sent vibrations through the car like you'd never believe. Great looking car though, fun performance too - not for day to day use.

Mini Cooper S - quite simply the best car I've driven. That supercharger is stunning!! Handling perfect! Quality finish and A1 looks! If it wasn't for the fact I'm 6'6" and would have looked a bit daft and struggled to get anything in behind me, I'd of had one in a heart beat. Brilliant brilliant car.

Thought about an Golf GT and a Focus ST and a VXR but they left me cold in the showroom so didn't bother!!

J :D

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Peugeot 207

Just don't even go there - quite simply some of the worst build quality I have ever seen in a new car. The plastic in my Nephews toys is better quality than that dash!!!!!

BMW 118

Awesome drive, plenty of poke and half decent looking.....but you really may as well buy a 2 seat car for the leg room available in the back. Oh, and most of my golf clubs would go in the boot - if I left my Driver and Woods at home!!!! :roll:

Citroen C4 VTR

This one was actually a mates car, that I had an afternoon in.....nice to drive, and very qwerky, but I just couldn't get out of my mind just how quickly it's gonna depreciate......and then theres the Citroen/Peugeot link, so a big question mark over the build qual again......

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
I looked at

VW Golf 1.9 TDI - Too expensive and the interior looked liked they had designed it to be incredibly dull.

Skoda Fabia vRS - Okay, pretty nippy, and feels similar to the Civic diesel in terms of torque, but the build quality is dire and as with most of the VAG cars, lacked anything special inside.

Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI - Too big, but the top trim level was a fair price, and fairly nippy.

Ford Focus (various) - Drive okay, handles well, but didn't want a car that was the same as my parents ;) Interior pretty poor too relative to the Civic.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'd pretty much decided on a Civic as soon as I saw it (and haven't regretted it).

I did make a perfunctory visit to a couple of Audi dealers looking at A3s but they are just too expensive for what is essentially a better looking and better built Golf.

I didn't even make it inside a VW dealer. I got as far as the forecourt of their huge site and was immediately put off by the huge number of "badge-buyers" fawning over a collection of very ordinary cars (Polos, Golfs, etc.)

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
The VW salesman's face dropped when he asked what I'd already test driven ;)

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
I'd only had the Mk V Golf gt tdi with dsg, for nine months. Saw the Civic, that was it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talking about the Magic Seats, In the Civic the floor isn't perfectly flat with the seats folded, like they are in Jazz. There's a few centimeter rise. Makes me wonder, why didn't they raise the Civic trunk's floor just a bit to make the floor flat? It would have made the threshold lower, and I don't think anyone would have missed those centimeters on top. Well yeah, I'm sure there's some technical reason for this...

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
At a GUESS it was to maximise the boot volume to beat a few cars in that class. Even a few CM might be the difference.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
I actually wanted to go out and buy a Golf GT TDi. The Civic was the only car that I felt offered some competition in the sector - and after driving both it was a no-brainer.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Golf GT TDi
Pretty good drive and had great performance, but my mates got one and I fancied something a bit different

Passat Sport 2.0TDi
Boring, and too big!

Lexus LS220d
I did like this but the turbo lag was horrendous and as soon as the salesman told the missus that it handled like a dog in the snow, that was that!

Honda Accord 2.2CDTi Sport
Didn't get to drive this one as we clocked the new Civic as soon as we entered the showroom and just had to have it! :D

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
I was waiting for the new Leon for ages. They were finally launched over here last month. Needless to say it was too late, 'cause I had already ordered the Civic. :cool:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Due to a screw-up at the repair shop - the car failed the yearly vehicle inspection despite having been serviced just before the inspection - they compensated by giving me a brand spanking new Renault Modus to use for the midsummer holiday.

I actually liked it. A lot. A nice follower for the Twingo. I might even have bought one, if I hadn't already ordered my Civic.

·
Registered
975 Posts
for me as soon as i saw the civic i knew that was what i wanted.

I did consider a mini but nothing seemed or is as special as my civic.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I considered Audi A3, Golf & Accord before seeing the Civic, was actually on the way to take the Accord out for a test drive when I saw the Civic, made me stop in my tracks, I knew then I had to have one. No regrets yet.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Have loved the shape of the Civic since I first saw it so I tried the petrol and diesel. Went for the diesel in the end, so much torque.
I tried an Accord diesel for completeness, but it just doesn't have the 'come and buy me/drive me' looks.It is also a big car and I wanted to downsize from my petrol Accord.
Recently I have drive a Golf and a Scenic, but they have nothing on the Civic for quality, comfort and power. Also driven a Toyota Aygo courtesy car which looked and drove more like a Fisher Price car than a real grown up motor.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I test drove the Peugeot 307, Citreon C4 and the Audi A3.

In all honestly I LOVED the A3 but couldn't afford it or the insurance!

The 307 was a bit cumersome and I wanted (needed) reliability and could have only gone for base, lower spec than the Civic base really.

The C4 was also a case of requiring reliability and even though I could have stretched to diesel and a good (almost top) spec model I wasn't keen on the mirrors, it wasn't as nice of a drive and the HUD just looked like paper which put me off!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I drove an A3 Sportback and the Civic - loved the build quality of the A3, but the lack of equipement for the price on the A3, coupled with the Civic's toys, character and practicality made it an easy choice.

--R

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
RiP said:
loved the build quality of the A3, but the lack of equipement for the price on the A3
For me the A3 would have been second hand (12-18 months old) without any of the extras the civic had.

I'm more glad I made my choice because of the amazing fuel consumption on the civic.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts