2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a satnav with speed camera detection. Which of the following is best:

Snooper Indago
TomTom Go 510/710/910
Road Angel 7000
Talex 7000T

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've got the TomTom 510 and I think that it's really good, in fact, I'd go as far as saying it's better than the one fitted in my EX.

You could go to Google and look for some reviews. Just type in... review and then the model you want to look at.

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
I would consider seriously the Garmin Nüvi series (310 or 660) The 660 series (the one I own) have yet a Fm transmitter included and have one of the best radiotraffic system on the market. Good nav system also, best screen so far, easy to put in your pocket, the only minus is the navigation points, you can only have one intermediate point and you cannot pre-plan your trip on the computer. But do you need that ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't really like the silver/chrome finish on the Garmin nuvi satnav's, and they are too rectangular. Well, similar argument rules out the Talex.

Had a look on the tomtom website. Really liked their comprehensive PLUS services. Not too keen on the satnav's though.

I think I might go for the Indago. It looks very stylish and has very nice visuals.

BTW, anyone using the Road Angel Navigator 9000? It has live updates and can be doubled up as a tracking system for £120 pa.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
As a long time TomTom user, and a current Go 510 owner I'm quite happy with the features that the Go provides.

I can use it as a handsfree for my phone, and I am a subscriber to the Pocketgpsworld speed camera database which give me the camera detection that I need.

The TomTom is also available with alternative fascias if you don't like the standard silver one. I've replace mine with a piano black surround, so I get less reflections in the windscreen.

And, unless I'm going on a really long drive, the TomTom will run off its battery, which means no cables trailing.

Not sure about the others, but there is maybe more customising available for the TomTom - with different voices & colour schemes etc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a long time TomTom user, and a current Go 510 owner I'm quite happy with the features that the Go provides.

I can use it as a handsfree for my phone, and I am a subscriber to the Pocketgpsworld speed camera database which give me the camera detection that I need.

The TomTom is also available with alternative fascias if you don't like the standard silver one. I've replace mine with a piano black surround, so I get less reflections in the windscreen.

And, unless I'm going on a really long drive, the TomTom will run off its battery, which means no cables trailing.

Not sure about the others, but there is maybe more customising available for the TomTom - with different voices & colour schemes etc.
How does the TomTom warn you when you approach a speed camera. Does it have a prompt like the Indago, with distance to the camera shown, ie (see pic in middle of page):

http://www.nav-now.co.uk/product.php?fdProductId=146

The GO wouldn't be too bad if it weren't too bulky. The ONE is much slimmer, but it also has half the RAM and a slower processor. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the GO

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
Can you download routes made on the PC to the 660?

No, and it's a shame, but you can plan your trip by adding waypoints directly in the nüvi.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
How does the TomTom warn you when you approach a speed camera. Does it have a prompt
I have the HP rx5935 which comes preinstalled with TomTom 6. I've set the speed camera warning so that you get a visual (with countdown) and audio warning as you approach the camera.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
How does the TomTom warn you when you approach a speed camera. Does it have a prompt like the Indago, with distance to the camera shown, ie (see pic in middle of page):

The GO wouldn't be too bad if it weren't too bulky. The ONE is much slimmer, but it also has half the RAM and a slower processor. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the GO
Something pretty similar to that on the Indago - A flashing icon in the top left of the screen, specific to either mobile, gatso, specs etc, with the speed shown on the icon (70,60,50 etc). The distance counts down in yards as you approach the camera.
I have also set up voice alerts so that I get a spoken warning, something like - 'Gatso Ahead - Speed Limit 70 Miles Per Hour'.

The warning alerts are configurable in terms of how far from the camera in yards you want to be warned.

One reason I went for the Go rather than the One, was that I don't think the one has bluetooth handsfree calling?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have bought the Navman F20 - very good reviews. Has a speed camera database, but doesn't have speed camera direction.
As a budget satnav, I would recommend it. £114 delivered via Amazon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts