2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm looking to get a double din for my xmas present. I have been toying with an android system that another user on here has shown and I really like the idea of it.

But I am also would like the peace in mind from something more reputable.
So these are the headunits I am thinking about, any views an opinions would be great!

App Radio 2
App Radio 3 (I have a rooted android phone, so these might be useful for that?)
Sony XAV-601BT (Sony's mirrorlink HU, work similar to app radio but not great support)
Sony XAV-64BT
Sony XAV-741
JVC KW-AV70BT

Looking for great sound quality, good handsfree and connectivity. Satnav would be a great bonus so I guess one of the mirrolink devices?

THanks

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Cant speak for any of the others although I have just purchased an App Radio 3. I link it up to my iphone and I am delighted with it. By all accounts, as an Android user you will be able to get more out of the unit than with an iphone, if you have rooted your phone you will be able to utilise full screen mirroring of the Android system (with working touch screen)

Us Iphone users are awaiting the OS 7.* jailbreak in order to achieve the same results although like I said, even out the box this system is great.

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
I recently bought a Pioneer AVH-X3500DAB and I love it! Awesome bit of kit, especially for the money. Sound quality is great, it even sounds half reasonable with the stock speakers.

JVC and Sony wouldn't be my choice for sound quality. Pioneer or Alpine is the way to go IMO :)

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I recently bought a Pioneer AVH-X3500DAB and I love it! Awesome bit of kit, especially for the money. Sound quality is great, it even sounds half reasonable with the stock speakers.

JVC and Sony wouldn't be my choice for sound quality. Pioneer or Alpine is the way to go IMO :)
I've just bought this same unit and think it's a great bit of kit and can't recommend highly enough :) only down side for me is in order to get my iPhone 5 to work in app mode I'd have to spend £100 on cables which just isn't going to happen :(
The iPhone 5 does charge and play music via the USB though which is something.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Kenwood DNX Double Din Series

Sat Nav
Bluetooth
SD Card
USB card
rear camera support
DVD

LOVE IT!

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
As an Appradio 2 owner, i would not recommend them, the problem is the software, in your case it won't be as bad, but with iphone the appradio software isnt working with IOS 7. Hence why I have kept IOS 6. When my phone contract expires in May its going to be a pain. Due to the cables needed if swapping from iphone to android it would be around £100 and a stereo/dash apart jobbie. Upgrading to new iphone and needing the lightning adaptor/hdmi is the same result. Its very inconvenient.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You don't need the expensive Pioneer cable kit.

I just use a basic HDMI cable (99p ebay job) and the Samsung HDTV adapter (£9 on Amazon) for my Galaxy S3 and it works just fine!

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
What cables are you using though? I've got a 4S and appradio 2. I was told updating to IOS7 will stop the appradio apps from working. If you have a 5 or 5S it should work with hdmi

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
What cables are you using though? I've got a 4S and appradio 2. I was told updating to IOS7 will stop the appradio apps from working. If you have a 5 or 5S it should work with hdmi
Ah, explains that then... I have an app radio 3 connected up to a 5S via HDMI.

·
D and A said i did it
450 Posts
The op has a rooted android phone so i dont see why all the apple users are having a go at the pioneer units connectivity?? I have just bought a pioneer and it works fine with android.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
i know it should be quality, will see whats it's like without rooting it first and try and find a wee video review with a rooted one and see if its worth it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts