2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Which Engine To Get And Specification?

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Lucas_Doel 
#1 ·
Hi I am looking to get a Civic as I'm fed up of my rattly Mazda 2 and its starting to rust. I have read a lot about this car and read that the 1.6 diesel is the one to go for. However after reading more I think the 1.8 i-vtec is the safest bet for reliablity. I also prefer petrol engines. I know these need to be ragged, I've owned and MB6 1.8 VTI-S in the past and an EP3 so I'm familiar with the VTEC. I prefer the look of the face lift model. I can't find much about the spec of these cars. I just wondered can the model without the touchscreen play MP3's on a USB stick? Can the touchscreen one too? Which models have a subwoofer and is it worth bothering with, or is the headunit just crap anyway? Does the front drivers seat have lumbar support? I sometimes have back problems and the seats in the Mazda are dire.

I guess the 2.2 diesel is maybe worth thinking about for an older car. Just really wanted to know if these's anything to look out for on these cars, apart from crash damage and abuse etc. I've also thought about getting an FN2 instead, finding a good one is putting me off though. I'd also thought about a Fiesta ST, as it's the only other car I fancy, fairly economical, cheaper to tax, but not as practical I used to have a 2018 Golf GTD as a company car and found it dull as a dishwasher, I prefer cars that are bit more raw and engaging when looking at a hotish hatch. I'm 51 so maybe should just get the sensible 1.8 i-vtec as for 95% of the time it will be perfect for my needs. Thanks for any advice.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've got a 2013 pre facelift 1.8 EX auto and it's the best car I've had, love it. Never had a single issue in 8 years.

I'll be sorry to see it go in Sep but I fancy the latest Jazz.

I think all models have the USB lead in the centre console that allow you to play .MP3. Subwoofer, I've got that but I never hear it, maybe that's how it's designed to work, or maybe I don't have mine loud enough.
Mine has the Honda/Alpine premium audio with SatNav touchscreen and it's fine for me. Old fashioned now but does the job.

#5 ·
Thanks very much for the replies. I still can't help looking at FN2's. Does the 8th gen Civic rust underneath, sills, wheel arches etc? I've never seen a rusty one from a distance. Just they're getting old now. I just really like the looks of the FN2, more so in red. Are these cars going up in value, for decent examples?

Common sense would tell me to get a 1.8 facelift 9th gen. Thanks for the replies though it's really helpful

#6 ·
I have a pre facelift 9g 1.8 petrol TI. I do agree the facelift version does look better but my budget wouldn’t stretch that far at the time. It isn’t the quickest but does feel quicker if you keep it on the vtec. It will do 35 in first, 65 in second and 95 in third so it does need the revs. Only problem with mine was an oil leak which was a seal. Mine doesn’t use any oil and does about 35mpg mainly urban so the readout says. Probably about 45 on a run. It has cloth seats and I have found them to be one of the most comfortable I have encountered and I have had a lot of cars. I play music through the USB cable which works fine. It doesn’t have sat nav, but in this day and age there are far better apps on my phone so I didn’t need one. Like most cars, how you drive it and look after it will help reliability but this is my second civic and not been let down in 10 years of motoring. For the amount of time I spend in my car nowadays I have no idea about subwoofers and the like but the standard system sounds ok. I think the EX GT trim gives you most of the toys on the pre facelift version. See if you can find a dealer happy to do a test drive to see which engine you prefer. Happy hunting.

#7 ·
I have owned a pre facelift 9th 1.4 for 3 years and since last Saturday I own a facelift 9th 1.8. I can't look in your wallet, but if your budget is okay, then I advise to go for the facelift 1.8 version. The facelift version drives better and smoother in the corner than the pre facelift.

Mp3 can be played with a usb stick. The music sounds better because the extra 2 speakers in the facelift version.

#8 ·
Sorry but the 1.8 engine in the mk8 and mk9 is nowhere near what the MB6 1.8 VTEC engine is!

I had a VTi back in the day too and the engines are no comparison. Granted, stock the B18C4 doesn't have much more BHP than the newer 1.8 but it's tuned very differently and sound worlds apart.

The engine in the mk8 doesn't impress me at all but it wasn't designed to be sporty, it's a fuel efficient engine with some mildly sporting characteristics.

#9 ·
i went through the same sort of decision making process - ruled out mk8 due to age mostly, went for a facelift mk9 as i prefer the looks plus it apparently got some suspension improvements. I do big miles so 1.6d makes sense but if i wasn't doing the miles then i'd have the petrol.

ex plus is best spec but rare, SR spec gets pretty much everything you need (doesn't have led lights or keyless go like ex plus - not bothered personally having to use a key but i do wish i had better headlights). don't stress about finding a car with factory nav cos its only a rubbish garmin - nav on your phone will be faster and up-to-date with better traffic info.

had mine nearly 3 years now, done 50k miles in that time, zero issues, total mileage now 135k, original clutch, had two new rear dampers, front anti roll bar bushes but nothing else needed.

#11 ·
I've had both the 1.8 8th gen and 1.6d 9th gen and tbh I was pleased with both engines, the 1.8 was responsive free reving and sounded nice, lacking a bit in torque though so often had to change down but not a problem, round town and work commute I av around 33 mpg and cruising on the motorway around 43mpg. The diesel had the torque and I was happy with the performance overall, economy never dropped below 54 mpg on the same route with over 70 mpg on the motorway

#13 ·
I had the 9th gen 1.8 I-vtec ES prior to my FN2 and loved the car, enough power for motorway but not enough to be fun also very light on torque but that’s not what it was designed for. Great economy. only gripe I had was the usual Honda paintwork coming away at the pillars near the windscreen and the awful plastic wheel arch liners that fade terribly. I would have another without a doubt, very nice, practical, super reliable albeit not very attractive looking at certain angles in my opinion. 1.8 I’d go for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.