2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was just wondering what is the result of a lightweight flywheel. Mugen offers a clutch kit what works with the original flywheel, and Toda offers a clutch kit (for street use, which I am interested in, well, in time of clutch change) with a lightened flywheel.

Does it worth changing the flywheel to a lightened one? What's the difference? What's the original's weight? Does it necessary to change the flywheel at a normal clutch replacement?

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Not tried a different one myselft but I've heard the original one is pretty light anyway so not sure how much benefit there would be

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Hi,

I was just wondering what is the result of a lightweight flywheel. Mugen offers a clutch kit what works with the original flywheel, and Toda offers a clutch kit (for street use, which I am interested in, well, in time of clutch change) with a lightened flywheel.

Does it worth changing the flywheel to a lightened one? What's the difference? What's the original's weight? Does it necessary to change the flywheel at a normal clutch replacement?

What do you guys think?
Stock fywheel is about 4kg A lightened one is about 2kg. I noticed the engine did seen to rev up much quicker and respond faster to throtle input. Some don't like this though as the revs fall quicker too so if you change gear too slowly it can make the drive a little jerky, I have not found this myself.

You can change the clutch without the flywheel but makes sense while the gearbox is off.

·
Go Hard or Go Home!
2,063 Posts
There's alot of flywheels on the market for the £200 mark, 'lightweight' yet heavier than the stock one anyway.

·
Registered
286 Posts
stocker is very light at 4.6 / 4.7 kg
there are some aftermarket that have more weight shaved off the outside perimeter of the flywheel , but dont have much difference in total weight..
i replaced mine only because stocker was warped , and the aftermarket item was much cheaper , i also had resurfaced the stock item once , and didnt want to shave off more material , for proper clutch engagement
i wouldnt suggest a 3-3.5 kg flywheel , u ll hate it in he long term

here is the stock unit

·
Registered
286 Posts
Keep the stock flywheel. It`s made out of chrommolybdenum steel and weighs 4.77 kg. That`s light for a 2 litre engine.
+1
i chose chorme moly for the aftermarket too...

i agree alu flywheels are not up to the task

1 - 10 of 10 Posts