2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
'DRIVE' your Car!
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to fill my tank for the first time since purchasing the car last Tuesday. Currently getting 21.5 mpg (don't know if that is good, it's not really the issue anyway ;))

Do i need to purchase v-power, tesco99, BP Ultimate, Asda Super-unleaded ...? Or just normal 95ron fuel?

I want to stick to one type of fuel all the time.
I have easy access to a Shell, Tescos, Asda, BP and Sainsburys (there maybe others too).

I don't want to start a technical debate here, just want to get an idea of your 'valuable opinions and experiences'.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated, and i will let you know what i decided on Friday night. Thanks.

·
Registered
882 Posts
personally i use standard stuff but always try from shell if i can, dont know why. i dont think its worth it paying for the more expensive super fuels.

cool mpg figure :cool:

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
i always use BP Ultimate or Tesco 99 RON. If i had a Shell garage nearby i would use Shell V power all the time though.

Many would disagree but i think the engine runs smoother. Dont think it makes any difference to my mpg though.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I have always run my car on v-power,i had one tank of standard petrol in the car and i have never used it since,the car feels much smoother and slightly more responsivbe and is definately worth paying the extra couple of quid it costs to fill up with higher octane fuel,in my opinion

·
'DRIVE' your Car!
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No can of worms here.

People here are intelligent enough to know the difference between an opinion and a debate.

I respect peoples opinions, that is why am asking for them.
The final decision will be mine and normal people will respect it in return.

This is not a debate. ;)

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
As a worker in the oil industry, refineries & currently offshore, let me enlighten you somewhat...

There are only around 9 refineries in the UK, my local one is Shell, they supply most of the forecourts in the N/West of England....i.e the Morrisons, Sainsburys, even BP etc ALL are supplied with petrol from the Shell refinery.....reciprically all the Shell garages in S/Wales are supplied with petrol from the Total refinery at Milford Haven...

There is only one refinery in Scotland...BP at Grangemouth......guess where most of Shells petrol comes from in Scotland!

Drive past Shell Stanlow's tanker loading facility any day of the week and see all the Asda, Tesco, Esso, Total AND Shell tankers all queued up for the same loads....

I am of course only talking of normal unleaded here...........V power is a different matter.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Mine's not a TypeR but it has been running perfectly OK for 2½ years on Tesco 95RON alias 'gnats'

21.5mpg !!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 1.8 i-shift returns circa 40mpg (trip computer shows 44mpg) on a regular basis.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Some time ago I ran on Tesco 99RON for a month.

I got no extra MPG nor any perceived improvement = I went back to the 95RON stuff.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I always use Shell V Power (better performance and economy compared to basic stuff) Tesco 99 is meant to be as good, m3 forums seem to swear by it :confused:
They're so similar, they may be the same thing........ :p

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
To be honest I think you will only see a difference in fuels when used in the Type R as the slightest of things can improve or reduce economy.

Its a case of every little helps and for me after using basic tesco and shell, I am getting 30-50 miles more on a tank of V-Power and it is so much smoother in 1st gear low revs etc and from cold

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
Normally Shell V-Power (99 ron), if not available then it's BP Ultimate (97 ron), if that's not available - gerry can time :razz:

No, but seriously the only standard tank I have had was the one the dealer probably put in for me - it's been premium all the way since. I was too Type-R'ed up to notice any real difference when I filled up with Premium fuel for the first time - but it's now become a given, so I think I've just stuck with what the handbooks said, and the opinions of a lot of fellow FN2/EP3 drivers from various sites/mates etc.

·
Wheel Man
169 Posts
I've only put 95 octane stuff inmy Type R so far. 1200 miles on it now so that's like 4 or 5 tanks.

I'm gonna try Super / V Power just to see what happens but I really don't think it's gonna be worth it based on the times I've put it in my bike. I got slightly more mileage out of the tank but it made next to no difference to the bike's performance (which to be fair is already very high so a small difference would not be very noticeable) . If Super is another 5p(ish) more per litre that's what £2.50 - £3.00 per tank? Maybe that's not much after all...

As a side note, I'm getting about 28mpg on 95 ron juice and it doesn't seem to move much either way no matter how I drive. I don't spare the revs but try to be economical if I'm sitting at a steady pace.

Andy

1 - 20 of 67 Posts