2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Mr Miyagi
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv been looking at induction kits and would love a Mugen one but they are too expensive. I was looking at Tegiwa but then saw the HKS which looks lovely. However theres 3 from what iv seen, the premium suction kit, super power flow induction kit and the racing suction kit.

HKS PREMIUM SUCTION KIT - HONDA CIVIC TYPE R FN2 | eBay

HKS SUPER POWER FLOW INDUCTION KIT - CIVIC TYPE-R EP3 | eBay

HKS RACING SUCTION KIT - HONDA CIVIC TYPE R FD2 | eBay

Does anybody know if there are any noticeable differences? the first two are better prices :/ or would i just be better off saving for a Tegiwa one?

·
Premium Member
559 Posts

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
HKS is a great sounding system, really hits VTEC hard!! I would recommend to anyone :-D

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
To be honest I reckon the Gruppe M is the only one you SHOULDNT buy now... For nearly three times the money the marginal gain over the HKS isnt worth it and if you're set on spending that much you should go for the Mugen kit anyway.

But in the case of ultimate engine bling with a good gain, GM isnt such a bad choice ;-)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Iv been looking at induction kits and would love a Mugen one but they are too expensive. I was looking at Tegiwa but then saw the HKS which looks lovely. However theres 3 from what iv seen, the premium suction kit, super power flow induction kit and the racing suction kit.

HKS PREMIUM SUCTION KIT - HONDA CIVIC TYPE R FN2 | eBay

HKS SUPER POWER FLOW INDUCTION KIT - CIVIC TYPE-R EP3 | eBay

HKS RACING SUCTION KIT - HONDA CIVIC TYPE R FD2 | eBay

Does anybody know if there are any noticeable differences? the first two are better prices :/ or would i just be better off saving for a Tegiwa one?
Hello mate,

Type 2 and three on those links are different models of the type r.......

HKS do the following models

Super Power Flow Read
Racing Suction Reload
Premium Suction
Super Hybrid Filter

The Applications that fit the FN2 are the Racing Suction, Premium suction and I am unsure about the hybrid filter, you will need to check with local HKS dealer..........Super Power flow is only available on the Ep3 civic.

Check out the Gruppe M intake i think it is, although expensive is supposed to be immense, i too am looking for a kit and the HKS RSK definately interests me as does the Tewiga, which being closed wont suffer as much from heat soak i think, but i am unsure of its performance

Hope this helps slightly with regards to the HKS options

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
id go for the teg kevlar airbox, but with the scoopin intake scuttle thingy.

·
Mr Miyagi
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies :D

tom001 - thanks for that link, better price and very good company will definitely buy off them if thats what i decide to go for!

guitaralmond - that did sound pretty nice :p nice work

jeev - i really dont want the group M, although they are good i just dont like them :/ dont know why

crislater - thanks for the info mate, didnt notice they were for different models :p ooops haha.

jun761 - i will go for the racing kit if i go hks, had a look around and the cheaper kit is just a pipe :/

pigdog and mw1978 - yer the heatsoak problem has put me off slightely, i wont go kevlar if i go tegiwa though will just go for the carbon box, but then again the kevlar will stand out more :p hmmm. Do you know if the fog blank intakes are as simple as fitting and leaving or do you need to get some piping to direct the airflow?

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
You have to buy tegiwa intake plus their garnish.
With garnish your air flow will be straight to intake pipe

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
were all waiting for someone to put up pics of the teg airbox being installed mate. i reckon this is my next mod.

·
Mr Miyagi
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the guy from Tegiwa to start his FN2 up at JAE this weekend and the Tegiwa intake does look impressive and will be very beneficial but im now swaying more towards an open cone filter for the noise, the tegiwa one didnt sound any different, although im sure it will in VTEC

Just searched the CPL and it looks like its a long ram? id rather stay away from long ram intake, either closed or short ram like the HKS

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have owned the HKS RSK previously and have used the stock airbox so I have experience of both.

From my experience the HKS is a decent kit thats high quality, fits well and doesnt cause MAF sensor issue like some other kits so will even work with stock ECU.

From the arguements about intake temperature then yes there is no denying the fact the intake temps are going to be higher but its not quite as bad as some people think. The intake temps at speed with the HKS that I dataloged were around 35 degrees C when the outside temp was 20 degrees C. In comparison my stock airboxs temps were around 22 degrees in similar conditions. However the intake temps are not the only aspect which makes and effect on power, others include how free flowing or restrictive the intake is and pressure. This is where the HKS does gain some back as the pressure drop is minimal and the design gives virtualy straight airflow with no kinks or bends and the filter head has a design to help straighten airflow(velocity stacking). Yes it wont make as much overall bhp as a CAI but it is a dam sight easier to fit and service and it does make a few small gains over stock.

However I actually fitted the stock airbox back on purely for the reason that I have a baby now and wanted to quieten the car down a bit. But I do miss the HKS on full throttle when im by myself.

If I had money now and I wanted a decent system I would probably fit the tegiwa airbox or mugen as they are the best of all worlds. They look relatively stock and keep the nice OEM feel, they are easy to service just like the stock aribox but they give the same gains as CAI without the hassles.

·
Mr Miyagi
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have owned the HKS RSK previously and have used the stock airbox so I have experience of both.

From my experience the HKS is a decent kit thats high quality, fits well and doesnt cause MAF sensor issue like some other kits so will even work with stock ECU.

From the arguements about intake temperature then yes there is no denying the fact the intake temps are going to be higher but its not quite as bad as some people think. The intake temps at speed with the HKS that I dataloged were around 35 degrees C when the outside temp was 20 degrees C. In comparison my stock airboxs temps were around 22 degrees in similar conditions. However the intake temps are not the only aspect which makes and effect on power, others include how free flowing or restrictive the intake is and pressure. This is where the HKS does gain some back as the pressure drop is minimal and the design gives virtualy straight airflow with no kinks or bends and the filter head has a design to help straighten airflow(velocity stacking). Yes it wont make as much overall bhp as a CAI but it is a dam sight easier to fit and service and it does make a few small gains over stock.

However I actually fitted the stock airbox back on purely for the reason that I have a baby now and wanted to quieten the car down a bit. But I do miss the HKS on full throttle when im by myself.

If I had money now and I wanted a decent system I would probably fit the tegiwa airbox or mugen as they are the best of all worlds. They look relatively stock and keep the nice OEM feel, they are easy to service just like the stock aribox but they give the same gains as CAI without the hassles.
Thanks a lot for that mate :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts