2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
My Fn2 had a HKS RSK fitted when I got it, in all honesty it was awful ☹ The noise was awesome but it did nothing for the performance, youd boot it and it would make an loud roar but nothing else ☹ It could be that the previous owner had stripped the resonator out but it also made the car run mega hot too. I’ve since swapped back to the standard intake at a massive cost, over £300 second hand 😳 and the car is transformed, responsive, runs better/cooler, I think unless your adding other mods and a remap to suit then the intake should be left alone, Honda spent millions developing the car, why fix what ain’t broke?

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
@Fn2newbie Air inlet is situated inside the engine compartment where air is hot and hot air is bad for power. Tegiwa/Injen/Skunk2 will be better options imho.

·
4,548 Posts
Wheeler dealer geezer said this morning that air at 100 degrees is pretty much the same as driving at 6000ft AMSL and robs the car of up to 20% of its power.
So just what you want by taking nice hot air from the engine compartment as apposed to nice cool air from the outside. Nice sound though I(arguably)

·
Registered
141 Posts
@Fn2newbie Air inlet is situated inside the engine compartment where air is hot and hot air is bad for power. Tegiwa/Injen/Skunk2 will be better options imho.
Yeah the numpty who fitted it to mine had removed the full system including the air inlet, so it was just pulling hot air from the engine bay 😳 it was awful in traffic and not much better on the move as no cold air was getting in. If I were to refit the hks I’d leave the resonator chamber and inlet pipes in situ, that way at least you’ve got a cold air feed 👍🏻 Or run some ducting from front bumper for the same reason

·
Super Moderator
1,787 Posts
If you want HKS get one of these

·
Registered
220 Posts
I brought an hks rsk when I brought my civic, also made a cold air feed from the bumper to it. I loved the sound for a few months but it gave a horrible flat spot at low rpm. I then put a smoothed airbox in with the cold air feed to the bumper, it was better but lost all the noise of the VTEC. So I'm now back to standard with the resonator in place, now I have the performance with the standard VTEC noise. All in all I wasted quite a bit of money.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have previously run a HKS and I didn't like it, I didn't like the location, far to close to the engine. the fact it would get heatsoak and I concur with others about the flatspots, how it's so highly rated I do not know ? Unless someone can shed some light on this , if there are some marginal gains the cons far outweigh the pros in this case

Unfortunately it came with the car and I didn't have the patience like fn2newbie to restore it to its former glory

I now run an Injen CAI and it is miles better imo , no heatsoak, down low to catch the air plus more room in the engine bay to work :) also to me the car feels more responsive and smoother than the hks

Only downside is potential hydrolock!
but I don't drive in torrential weather and I check the forecasts if I've planned a trip (I'm sad like that)

I'm sure others may disagree but this is from personal experience running both

·
Registered
179 Posts
The HKS is a good intake if it's has the air feed from the bumper.
Any induction kit fitted will need remapping or you'll be just running lean, the ecu will be trying to adjust the fuel required, hence the flat spots.
I ran the CPL CAI for a while, sounded great and no issues with air temps, location of the cone filter is a bit awkward to access but it would be a challenge to get it to hydrolock the engine.
IMG_20190505_173546.jpg

The problem I kept getting with the CPL CAI was the way the air comes around the bend in the pipe to the MAF sensor, it's a bit turbulent and confuses the MAF when your on a road following traffic between 3000 to 3500 rpm, it throws a fault code, you basically have to tell the ecu to ignore the MAF sensor to stop it.
I finally got around to making my own short ram intake, used the MAF sensor holder from the OEM box and a cold air feed from the wing, works great.
IMG_20200909_184935.jpg

IMG_20200909_184952.jpg

IMG_20200723_140435.jpg

IMG_20200708_135921.jpg

21 - 32 of 32 Posts