1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

New here :)

I am going to purchase this double din fascia kit C2 Civic Full Kit RHD

I don't want to spend much on the head unit itself, however i am slightly concerned that if i purchase a cheapy one from ebay that it won't fit, or that the wiring from the HU won't be compatible with the wiring that comes with the fascia kit without soldering etc...

Would any of these head units be sufficient?

Pure Android 4.4 KitKat OS 6.95" Sat Nav Double 2 Din Car Stereo GPS DVD Player | eBay

7" Double DIN Car DVD Player Stereo Radio GPS Sat Nav iPod Digital TV FREEVIEW | eBay

Car DVD Player Stereo Radio XTRONS 6.95" HD Touch Screen GPS Sat Nav Bluetooth | eBay

Double 2 Din HD 7"Touch Screen Car DVD Player GPS SAT Nav Stereo Radio FM iPod | eBay

If not, then are there any HU's that you can recommend for £250 or less?

:popcorn2:

·
R-398
702 Posts
They will all connect to the car with the connects2 honda kit but I can't guarantee steering wheel controls will work with non brand units. Would t know which patch lead to suggest for that. There are a couple of users on here who have pure android set ups, hopefully they can shed light on that part for you.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...egoryId=298105&productId=991017&storeId=10001

Not sure on the ones you have posted but what about that pioneer one? At least you know with pioneer that it's a good make and will be good quality.
If you wanted to pay a bit more you could go for the da120 which has CarPlay but more importantly in my opinion a capacitive touch screen so it's just like using a mobile phone and you don't need to actually press the screen

·
R-398
702 Posts
I personally use the DA120 and think it's fantastic. Satnav coming from the phone via car play and the screen is the best I've used. Got mine off ebay a little cheaper than brand new but was barely 3 weeks old and came with receipt for guarantee.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Of those you mentioned the first one is good, and the rest are junk.

You will need to do some filing on the fascia surround to get the unit to fit properly, only very minor and will be the case with the majority of head units from China.

Wiring depends on the unit, some come with an ISO connector already so are literally plug and play.

Steering wheel controls should work with any head unit, you just need the universal patch lead which consists of three bare wires; ground, KEY1, and KEY2. The head unit will come with KEY1 and KEY2 wires also, or some just come with the KEY1 wire, hence KEY2 is not used.

I've got more information about the installation of one of these Android units in my build thread.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Hi guys,

New here :)

I am going to purchase this double din fascia kit C2 Civic Full Kit RHD

I don't want to spend much on the head unit itself, however i am slightly concerned that if i purchase a cheapy one from ebay that it won't fit, or that the wiring from the HU won't be compatible with the wiring that comes with the fascia kit without soldering etc...

Would any of these head units be sufficient?

Pure Android 4.4 KitKat OS 6.95" Sat Nav Double 2 Din Car Stereo GPS DVD Player | eBay

7" Double DIN Car DVD Player Stereo Radio GPS Sat Nav iPod Digital TV FREEVIEW | eBay

Car DVD Player Stereo Radio XTRONS 6.95" HD Touch Screen GPS Sat Nav Bluetooth | eBay

Double 2 Din HD 7"Touch Screen Car DVD Player GPS SAT Nav Stereo Radio FM iPod | eBay

If not, then are there any HU's that you can recommend for £250 or less?

:popcorn2:
I have the above connects kit and the first head unit in the links,I purchased this patch lead for it,no problems with steering wheel controls.

Connects2 Chinese CTCHINAHULEAD Stalk Steering Control Adaptor Patch Lead | eBay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Halfords | Pioneer SPH-DA110 Double Din App Radio with 7 Inch Multi-Touch Screen, GPS and Bluetooth

Not sure on the ones you have posted but what about that pioneer one? At least you know with pioneer that it's a good make and will be good quality.
If you wanted to pay a bit more you could go for the da120 which has CarPlay but more importantly in my opinion a capacitive touch screen so it's just like using a mobile phone and you don't need to actually press the screen

I personally use the DA120 and think it's fantastic. Satnav coming from the phone via car play and the screen is the best I've used. Got mine off ebay a little cheaper than brand new but was barely 3 weeks old and came with receipt for guarantee.
That DA110 is within my price range and seems to have everything I'm after. However as my knowledge of cars is predominantly mechanical...the more oil the better, I'm not to savvy with the audio/electrical systems and one thing i would really like the HU to have is satnav. I notice it says it has 'GPS', but is that just the antenna? Ie does it have satnav already preloaded and ready to go or will i need to install one?

Of those you mentioned the first one is good, and the rest are junk.

You will need to do some filing on the fascia surround to get the unit to fit properly, only very minor and will be the case with the majority of head units from China.

Wiring depends on the unit, some come with an ISO connector already so are literally plug and play.

Steering wheel controls should work with any head unit, you just need the universal patch lead which consists of three bare wires; ground, KEY1, and KEY2. The head unit will come with KEY1 and KEY2 wires also, or some just come with the KEY1 wire, hence KEY2 is not used.

I've got more information about the installation of one of these Android units in my build thread.
Trimming the fascia isn't a problem :)

I think some of them do come with the ISO, but wouldn't i need to specify which one as surely they are specific to the car that the HU is plugging into?

Regarding the steering wheel controls, the connects2 kit that i linked has the control adaptor.. isn't that all i need?

Yet i have noticed that the genuine honda kit comes with different/more cables and the control adaptor looks much bigger, am i imagining things or can you take a look and see if you can shed any light?

Connects2 Kit: C2 Civic Full Kit RHD

Genuine Honda Kit: Civic Complete Fitting Kit RHD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the above connects kit and the first head unit in the links,I purchased this patch lead for it,no problems with steering wheel controls.

Connects2 Chinese CTCHINAHULEAD Stalk Steering Control Adaptor Patch Lead | eBay
Ah thats good to know incase i do go that route :)

See my above post and could you identify from the links which 'bit' is the control adaptor for the steering controls just incase I'm getting muddled lol?

Also i still can't work out how all of those connections will fit into, I'm struggling to think as to what the two green connections are and the small grey one :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
The wiring kits with both fascias are the same.

ISO connectors are standard, that is the point, hence any stereo can be plugged into any car.

The wiring kit that comes with the fascia takes all the weird Honda connectors and converts them into the ISO connector, as well as making the steering wheel controls and clock screen etc function.

From the links you just need to select "Universal Patch Lead", then you have everything you need.

When you take the OEM stereo out the wiring will become obvious, you just plug the Honda connectors from the dash into the wiring kit that comes with the fascia, then your head unit plugs into the other side of the kit. It is very simple, even if it doesn't seem like it at the moment.

As I mentioned my build log has a lot of the pictures of the installation which may help you to make sense of what is going on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The wiring kits with both fascias are the same.

ISO connectors are standard, that is the point, hence any stereo can be plugged into any car.

The wiring kit that comes with the fascia takes all the weird Honda connectors and converts them into the ISO connector, as well as making the steering wheel controls and clock screen etc function.

From the links you just need to select "Universal Patch Lead", then you have everything you need.

When you take the OEM stereo out the wiring will become obvious, you just plug the Honda connectors from the dash into the wiring kit that comes with the fascia, then your head unit plugs into the other side of the kit. It is very simple, even if it doesn't seem like it at the moment.

As I mentioned my build log has a lot of the pictures of the installation which may help you to make sense of what is going on.
Okie dokie, thankyou :)

Ill check out your log now, i assume its the one in your link :cool:

Ive just been reading up on the Pioneer DA110. Do you have any knowledge of this HU? It seems that the Satnav will only work with a phone connected, and to play music through an iPod/iPhone, ill need a HDMI to lighting cable.. seems a little overkill just for audio lol?

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I'd be wanting a HU that can run it's satnav without connecting a phone!

·
R-398
702 Posts
The 110 will use whatever sat nav option is compatible with appradio. I personally hated appradio and to get a decent satnav out of it required paying for it. With car play I don't need to pay extra for an appradio compatible one, I just use apple maps.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Okie dokie, thankyou :)

Ill check out your log now, i assume its the one in your link :cool:

Ive just been reading up on the Pioneer DA110. Do you have any knowledge of this HU? It seems that the Satnav will only work with a phone connected, and to play music through an iPod/iPhone, ill need a HDMI to lighting cable.. seems a little overkill just for audio lol?
The guy I sold my original Android unit to was buying it to replace the DA110. I had a quick look at it since it was still installed in his car and it didn't seem all that great. It did rely on your phone for everything and only certain apps seemed to be compatible. To me it appeared extremely restrictive. I believe there is a way to crack it and remove some of the restrictions, but it still isn't that great in my opinion.

What you do get however is slightly better build quality, and support from a company. It's also just ready to go with a UI designed for a car, the Android units take some setting up, just like an Android phone, to get them how you like. Having said that the new units seems to come with a fairly good UI already now.

There is a lot of support for the Android units too, but from community members rather than a company. In some ways this is better if you are okay with all the technical side of stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right I have ordered the Fascia kit.

I am still undecided on the HU though lol!
I'm leaning towards the Pure Android one but Im just unsure on a few things...

Will I be able to get full usage out of it with an iPhone?
Is the Satnav on it any good and reliable?

And I would probably use an SD card for music as I don't want the cables but I'm sure I read somewhere that an SD card sometimes causes this unit to crash?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I bought this one 6.2" Car Stereo Head Unit Android 4.4 2 Din Wifi Radio HD Bluetooth GPS | eBay

No ISO plug, so had to chop off the connects2 ISO plug and just heat shrink together

I looked at the ones you posted but ultimately liked the look of the "no buttons" look of this one.
I had to sand down the surround that came with the connects2 kit so it would fit ( the black rectangle which slots between the fascia and the 2din.) Apart from that, everything is okay and working as I wanted.

As for the satnav, I bought co pilot premium and it's worked as expected with 0 crashes so far in 3 long trips.

too note however. I have not used the SD card for music, but the usb which is at the back of the unit on a longish cable (could route to somewhere more accessible very easily) does "remove itself" randomly when starting car, which requires a turn off/on.... doesn't bother me tbh, but with the SD card, I assume you can simply push in/out as it's out the front.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Right I have ordered the Fascia kit.

I am still undecided on the HU though lol!
I'm leaning towards the Pure Android one but Im just unsure on a few things...

Will I be able to get full usage out of it with an iPhone?
Is the Satnav on it any good and reliable?

And I would probably use an SD card for music as I don't want the cables but I'm sure I read somewhere that an SD card sometimes causes this unit to crash?
It's basically like having an Android tablet installed in your dash.

What functionality do you think would be limited by using an iPhone? The pure Android units are not like the AppRadio units; everything is run on the unit, you only need a phone connected via Bluetooth to make/receive calls.

The nav is as good as the app you install. iGo is excellent, as is Waze, Google Navigation etc.

I've never had an issue with the unit crashing, and I store all my music on a MicroSD card.

Take a look on the XDA forum, all of these sorts of questions have been answered in detail many times.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
No ISO plug, so had to chop off the connects2 ISO plug and just heat shrink together
Not sure if you purchased from that link specifically, but the listing does show an ISO connector attached to the wiring so shouldn't need to cut anything.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Yeah, which is why me and another buyer commented about there actually being no ISO plug!
It was just bare wire

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
What is the model of the pure android HU?

Can they play movies and browse the web like a tablet to??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts