2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

my current insurer wont let me de-cat my car as it wont be road legal, obviously there are a few of you on here doing that so just wondered who you are insured with and what you said to your insurer to get around this?

Cheers

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
My exhaust is under "exhaust/manifold", my insurer (Admiral) said if I had one the other is included too. I bought the exhaust first, they said if I was to buy a manifold in the future they wouldnt even need to be called as to them an exhaust is an exhaust wether it be cat back or engine back...

Quite useful as I havent got to the issue of cats with them. Youre always dicing with death anyway when it comes to decats as it an MOT fail.

Reactions: MMA-Monkey

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My exhaust is under "exhaust/manifold", my insurer (Admiral) said if I had one the other is included too. I bought the exhaust first, they said if I was to buy a manifold in the future they wouldnt even need to be called as to them an exhaust is an exhaust wether it be cat back or engine back...

Quite useful as I havent got to the issue of cats with them. Youre always dicing with death anyway when it comes to decats as it an MOT fail.
Maybe thats my problem being with an insurer that is mod savvy, I did say race header and the first question was " will it be de-cat" as soon as I said yes it was a no from them.

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
I'm also with admiral

they insure the full exhaust system in one package, no mention of cat. Therefore in the event of a claim i'm sure they wouldn't be able to repudiate, as i've not non disclosed this to them.

however i'm sure in the policy wording somewere it will exclude non road worthy vehicles (all vehicles decatted are non road legal) - Therefore everyone on here is effectively driving around with TPO cover... in which case you might as well not disclose ANY mods to your insurer and just save yourself some money?

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
I'm also with admiral

they insure the full exhaust system in one package, no mention of cat. Therefore in the event of a claim i'm sure they wouldn't be able to repudiate, as i've not non disclosed this to them.

however i'm sure in the policy wording somewere it will exclude non road worthy vehicles (all vehicles decatted are non road legal) - Therefore everyone on here is effectively driving around with TPO cover... in which case you might as well not disclose ANY mods to your insurer and just save yourself some money?
+1

It became an MOT failure this year if you remove your cat. from a car that had one fitted as standard.

So its a double edge sword now as every insurer Ive ever seen clearly states your car must be road worthy.

So you tell them you've removed it and your basically telling them your car is not road worthy and thus invalidates your insurance

Or

You dont tell them you've removed it and you've not disclosed all your mods and again you have invalid insurance

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Yes, a bit of a grey area I fear is becoming more black and white.. :(

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
I'm an insurance underwriter myself,

we repudiate claims all day long because people have mods on there cars. However i can admit i've never seen an engineers report stating the cat is removed / unroadworthy vehicle.

I guess it's down to what the insurance companies "trusted" engineer reports...

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
I'm an insurance underwriter myself,

we repudiate claims all day long because people have mods on there cars. However i can admit i've never seen an engineers report stating the cat is removed / unroadworthy vehicle.

I guess it's down to what the insurance companies "trusted" engineer reports...
Interesting.

My neighbour inspects cars that have been in accidents (he works for Zurich).

I had a conversation with him around Decemeber last year and he showed me a memo that was outlining the MOT changes and it drew particular attention to this very matter. So as of Jan 1st he now checks for removed cats.

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
Interesting.

My neighbour inspects cars that have been in accidents (he works for Zurich).

I had a conversation with him around Decemeber last year and he showed me a memo that was outlining the MOT changes and it drew particular attention to this very matter. So as of Jan 1st he now checks for removed cats.
As i said i haven't seen one where someone has removed a cat :p

We get reported all mods, but maybe we simply havent had someone thats removed their CAT.

To be honest anyone thats modified their cat might aswell whack their excess to £1000+ and just do everything to make their insurance as cheap as possible, because your insurance is invalid, in the event of a claim!

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
As i said i haven't seen one where someone has removed a cat :p

We get reported all mods, but maybe we simply havent had someone thats removed their CAT.
Sorry misunderstood what you meant.

To be honest anyone thats modified their cat might aswell whack their excess to £1000+ and just do everything to make their insurance as cheap as possible, because your insurance is invalid, in the event of a claim!
Ha ha... well said ;)

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
Arnt you running a decat on your charger ash?
I think he is... i also think he fully understands the consequences if he has a claim.

Might as well state, if you are going to mod your car - don't claim. You'll loose too much money ha ha:)

effectively im TPO cover as of monday :(

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow didnt realise you guys ran the risk with your beloved cars. Thanks for all the info though I think I am going to make the de-cat my last mod and see if I can make 300hp without the headache of removing the cat.

Hope if you guys do need to make a claim you dont have a jobs worth inspector ;)

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
I have everything declared and Adrian Flux were spot on and the cheapest.

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
I have everything declared and Adrian Flux were spot on and the cheapest.
Adrian flux are quite cool with mods arnt they...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts