2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
B16 OJR
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys my oil light came on today, I check it regular but had a hard weekend in Wales enjoying VTEC then this morning light came on so just wondering what oil I should put in its a TYPE R and driven pretty hard so need some good stuff easy to get hold of, will be doing full flush before new stuff goes in also

Cheers in advance

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
If you vtec alot then 5w40 fully synthetic is probaly better as per oilmans recomendation.

·
JAPFEST Event Organiser
817 Posts
I use 5W-30 Castrol Edge but obviously if you vtec alot, this oil is thinner and consumed faster than a 5w-40.

·
B16 OJR
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do these affect MPG?? As I drive over 500 miles a week on the motorway then "play" at weekends?

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Castrol EDGE FST 10W-60

Unless you are flat out everyday on the Autobahn that is way too thick for normal driving,

anything from 0-30 to 10-40 is ideal, the 30s will burn a little quicker though if used for high revs for any duration, 40s are perfect for fast road/trackday use

·
regrets his username
7,979 Posts
Keep saying it but the type r needs an oil like silkolene pro s 5W 40 it's meant for high revving engines and is perfect for the vtec, what Honda recommends is too thin. And when you say you check regularly how often is this because if it's weekly and after a blast you drank all that oil seems a bit odd to use that much unless your using to thin of oil. Ask oilman in the oil section he will tell you what's best for the car, guarantee he will tell you silkolene

·
Registered
453 Posts
Castrol Egde FST 0w40 will suit you the best. It is fuel saving, thin when cold and thick when driven hard.
I've used this oil on my 10 last changes.
It has the highest performance spec for a petrol car ( A3 ) and is a very very good oil and a alternative to the Egde FST 0w30 that Castrol recommends for the R

·
Registered
68 Posts
Castrol EDGE FST 10W-60
Unless you are flat out everyday on the Autobahn that is way too thick for normal driving,

anything from 0-30 to 10-40 is ideal, the 30s will burn a little quicker though if used for high revs for any duration, 40s are perfect for fast road/trackday use
Okay! Good to know. I just have got the Mobil 0W-40 New Life, but at the last inspection in April 2012, the dealer advised the 10W-60 to me.
The oil is changed every 10.000 km. At the next oil change i am going to switch back...

·
B16 OJR
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went for 0-40 castrol edge as got a good deal on it and needed doing today so couldn't get any Fuchs Titan, changed it tonight! Couldn't find the filter for ages!!! And the bolts under the car were really stiff so I'm guessing these haven't been off in a while, even though it was "serviced" by Honda 3 months ago!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts