2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.2 Cdt-i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys so I decided to order some OEM replacement front springs for my 2009 civic 2.2 cdti. Bought a pair off eBay and also a pair from Euro car parts just in case they were fake or broken ect..

Parts from eBay came from Lithuania.

Only thing is both are different from each other in terms of packaging, markings and part numbers. The ones from eBay (Lithuania) look more genuine than the ones from Euro car parts!

Springs are from the same Manufacturer and for the same car so packaging, and markings of part numbers should be the same, no? or is it because they are sold in different markets?

What do you guys think? Which ones would you go for?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
They could well both be genuine - new stock & old stock. fairly sure I have seen the same style silver sticker that is on the ebay set before on vehicles.

That said I would not be surprised if either are fakes & I'm not sure I'd trust ECP much, if any, more than a reputable seller on ebay lol

·
Registered
2009 2.2 Cdt-i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd email Sachs & ask them - I imagine they would be interested if one is a fake
I emailed ZF (Sachs) with these images. Let's see what they say. I'll post their reply on here... if I do get one that is.

Damn it, I wanted to change my springs this weekend 😂

·
Registered
2009 2.2 Cdt-i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They could well both be genuine - new stock & old stock. fairly sure I have seen the same style silver sticker that is on the ebay set before on vehicles.

That said I would not be surprised if either are fakes & I'm not sure I'd trust ECP much, if any, more than a reputable seller on ebay lol
Im leaning towards the old stock/new stock scenario. It's not uncommon for manufacturers to change their packaging eg. to reduce cost or due to legislation of the markets they are selling in.

The only thing that bugs me is that when you search for the part number of the springs for the civic 2.2 diesel on the ZF online catalogue, it states it as 998 552. This is what the ones from eEay have plastered all over them.

The ECP ones don't have that number anywhere.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I just had a look on the online Sachs catalogue - the 998 552 number looks to be correct, the numbers on the ECP ones do not seem to match up to the format on their catalogue

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
looking at the photo's the ECP ones have the part number upside done as well

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Very odd, there is no indication on the Sachs website that the parts have been superseded like you will find on the rear shocks.
The number starting 627 is the ECP internal stock number, nothing to do with Sachs - is there another label under all the ECP ones?
Grossey makes a valid point when you look at the way the coils sit
I work for ECP and would doubt they are selling hookey parts, the sh1t that would descend upon them from Trading Standards would be too deep and the penalties for copyright infringement are eyewatering.

·
Registered
2009 2.2 Cdt-i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very odd, there is no indication on the Sachs website that the parts have been superseded like you will find on the rear shocks.
The number starting 627 is the ECP internal stock number, nothing to do with Sachs - is there another label under all the ECP ones?
Grossey makes a valid point when you look at the way the coils sit
I work for ECP and would doubt they are selling hookey parts, the sh1t that would descend upon them from Trading Standards would be too deep and the penalties for copyright infringement are eyewatering.

Yeh I highly doubt ECP would sell bad parts intentionally. But then again they don't really check their returns. I once ordered an oil filter, got home and it was used and covered in oil. Some scum bag probably returned it with their old one in the box. ECP didn't check to see if it was used.

Wouldn't be surprised if they done that with the springs I got. The box was pretty beaten up but though it might be because its been in their warehouse for a while

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeh I highly doubt ECP would sell bad parts intentionally. But then again they don't really check their returns. I once ordered an oil filter, got home and it was used and covered in oil. Some scum bag probably returned it with their old one in the box. ECP didn't check to see if it was used.

Wouldn't be surprised if they done that with the springs I got. The box was pretty beaten up but though it might be because its been in their warehouse for a while
Very similar situation, bought some wipers from ECP but found some low life had put their old wiper in the box an returned it.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
That's down to poor management processes at the branch then.
But yes, customers can and do try it on.

It's possible that that 78959 is an Anschler spring, the other brand that ECP sell and some muppet has mixed the boxes??

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I had Sachs springs from ECP for a Corsa C with upside down yellow markings with no Sachs part number on the boxes or springs. It could be ECP have a manufacturing contract with ZF as they shift tonnes of their products and these are made cheap as possible for ECP with unique part numbers so they can be traced back to ECP.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
I send this thread to my branch manager.
He confirms that the part number starting 627 is for the Sachs 998552 part.
I have asked if he can check the 78959 part number on the other spring.

·
Registered
2009 2.2 Cdt-i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had Sachs springs from ECP for a Corsa C with upside down yellow markings with no Sachs part number on the boxes or springs. It could be ECP have a manufacturing contract with ZF as they shift tonnes of their products and these are made cheap as possible for ECP with unique part numbers so they can be traced back to ECP.

@Ray_S Bang on mate! Just had a call with a guy from ZF Germany this morning. He said that in that ECP get Sachs coil springs directly from their manufacturing plant in Germany. ECP have a direct contract with ZF to supply them, so a ECP part number is etched onto the spring rather than a Sachs part number. This is for traceability. Packaging is also different due to cost.

Other markets don't have such companies with direct contracts so they will have the Sachs part number on the spring.

In short. Both are genuine. One is made for ECP the other is not. Both will fit the car and have the same level of performance.

Think Sachs should have this documented somewhere in their catalogue or ECP should have the Sachs part number listed on their site. It's really confusing.

Ill be putting on the ECP ones this weekend!:devilish:

·
Registered
2009 2.2 Cdt-i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I send this thread to my branch manager.
He confirms that the part number starting 627 is for the Sachs 998552 part.
I have asked if he can check the 78959 part number on the other spring.

Cheers mate. Appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
@Ray_S Bang on mate! Just had a call with a guy from ZF Germany this morning. He said that in that ECP get Sachs coil springs directly from their manufacturing plant in Germany. ECP have a direct contract with ZF to supply them, so a ECP part number is etched onto the spring rather than a Sachs part number. This is for traceability. Packaging is also different due to cost.

Other markets don't have such companies with direct contracts so they will have the Sachs part number on the spring.

In short. Both are genuine. One is made for ECP the other is not. Both will fit the car and have the same level of performance.

Think Sachs should have this documented somewhere in their catalogue or ECP should have the Sachs part number listed on their site. It's really confusing.

Ill be putting on the ECP ones this weekend!:devilish:
I appreciate having it confirmed as it's been a suspicion of mine for a while.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts