2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few days ago, I have looked this link " Oil - Civinfo Wiki " to see which type of engine oil I should use on my civic 1.8 ES.

In the web site, they said "Good spec 5W-40 Semi synthetic or fully synthetic oil
Best spec: 0W-30 Fully synthetic".

However, I also checked on this web site
" Comma :: Products For Your Honda Civic Civic 1.8i-VTEC (2005-) ", they said Engine Oil: Xtech 5W-30.

Your Vehicle's Info
Engine Code: R18A2

Filter 0.2 litre

Capacity 3.7 litre Service fill.

Capacity 4.5 litre Dry fill

So please advise me on which oil I should use.

·
Registered
98 Posts
After seeing the the size of the oil pump in the sump of the diesel I would not use anything other than specified 0w 30 on the diesel and most definately use correct oil in the petrol cars.
The diesel oil pump is driven by a weedy little chain driving two "pump cams" that if heavier grade oil was used could end with premature chain failure!!
Try and get a photo up sometime...

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
castrol magnatec fully synthetic 5w30 engine oil???????
Honda recommends Edge, it is a much higher quality oil and will protect the engine much better. Magnatec 5w30 fully synthetic is just hydro-cracked oil often referred to as a group III oil, the absolute entry level of synthetic. Edge is a group IV PAO oil, which is a much higher quality and performance synthetic.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi

Either is fine to use, it's only the diesels with a DPF that require the first of the two you listed, the others can use either.

Regards

Tim

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for that Tim!

:-D

I was getting worried that I bought the wrong one!

See I had Mobil 1 5-w30 A5/B5 in and when I changed to Castrol Edge 0w-30 (non A5/B5) I immediately noticed that the engine sounded different. I can distinctly hear the valve tappets now.

Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing?

Anyway I found this thread on another forum and one of the guys had a nice simple breakdown of what the A, B and Cs stand for. Simply, C3 is the best and this is whats on the Castrol Edge 0w-30 bottle.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archive/index.php/t-128912.html

Happy days :)

Would still be nice if anone else has experience of the increased tappet noise on changing oil tho...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Some oils absorb sound more than others, so it's likely to be nothing to worry about as they are both suitable grades.

Cheers

Tim

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
What about Mobil Super 3000

This post is timely as the car is due an oil change.
Previously used Castrol Magnetec 5W-30 for the last 3 oil changes. Can't say I've noticed much apart from oil consumption has got lower and lower between changes.
Tempted to try Mobil 3000X1 formula FE as Exxon Mobil claim that Castrol's fully synthetic wasn't PAO oil that their fully synthetic would be. Unless Mobil have decided if they can't beat e'm, join 'em.
Thoughts please?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts