2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been getting a bit of a smell from the car in the last few days after driving it. It's not the brakes although the smell is similar. I swapped back to oem oil filler cap as yesterday I noticed a patch of oil on top of the spark plug cover, can only assume that the cap didn't have the best seal. Any ideas what could be rubbing/binding? Or could it be the dreaded clutch?

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
If it smells similar to brakes then it may be clutch, but I would imaging you would notice it starting to slip for it to smell.
I'm getting a plastic burning smell when I get out of mine after being in traffic which is doing my nut, so I hope you get to the bottom of it.

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's definitely no clutch slip, it sometimes judders slightly when pulling away when the car is cold. It could be the cat, perhaps the car needs a good ragging, I just plod along at 40mph on the commute each day and the weather doesn't permit giving it beans.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
perhaps the car needs a good ragging,
Always a good place to start :grin2:
Could be the CAT over heating then now you mention the grind of daily plod :frown2: I once had a col fail which meant one cylinder wasn't firing correctly and allowing un-burnt fuel into the cat which was then burning in there. It glowed and the heat from it was unreal!

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read elsewhere the radiant heat off the back box can warm up the inside of the rear offside tyre, more noticeable in the wet. I'll check that tonight :smile3:

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
The smell from a cat tends to be distinct and you'll be able to tell, reminds me of death and rotten eggs.

Brakes and clutches tend to smell the same. Like burning rubber that someone through a McDonalds milkshake on :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts