2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Transmission whine?
My FN2 does this as well. On mine it's just a transmission whine. Its actually quieter the more miles I've racked up.

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
Can't say I've noticed anything on mine. Is it just rev related or speed related?
I should have said - is it only noticeable when moving. ie. does it happen if you sit and rev the car?

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Mine has only started recently and I can only hear it when the car has warmed up. My car has only done 22,000 but I swear the noise is coming from the diff so I'm having the diff oil changed so I can check for any contaminants or metal that may of worn off the gears as the previous owner may of abused it

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
you sure you didn't buy a supercharged fn2??? Does it keep up with Ferrari 360's ???

nah in all honesty that does sound a little odd mate, get someone to rev the car for you with the bonnet open, and try to see if you can pinpoint the location of the whine - then take it to a garage or report back here!

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
you sure you didn't buy a supercharged fn2??? Does it keep up with Ferrari 360's ???

nah in all honesty that does sound a little odd mate, get someone to rev the car for you with the bonnet open, and try to see if you can pinpoint the location of the whine - then take it to a garage or report back here!

When he said while revving he ment it whines while being driven

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mine occasionally whines around the 3-5K mark... this occurs when driving only and mainly on decelaration... it also appears to be ambient temperature / humidity related.. i.e. really notice it more on damp evenings when the temperature is dropping after a warmish day, but not cold.

I've had the car since new, and its always done it. Have it documented as a complaint at the dealer when it first went in for a load of warranty work, but they couldn't hear it. Its something that only occurs every now and then. I sometimes think its more of a resonnance than a whine.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
On decelaration that is normally the gearbox when it is driving the engine whilst engine breaking. It is more obvious at higher rpm. It is normal.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
is transmission whine a bad thing?
How many miles do you have on your car? If it's transmission whine it will get louder but only over 10's of thousands of miles. Do you also have the whine when lifting off the throttle at over 50mph?

·
Registered
140 Posts
On decelaration that is normally the gearbox when it is driving the engine whilst engine breaking. It is more obvious at higher rpm. It is normal.
I understand what your saying.. and I think your right to a point, certainly about the gearbox driving the engine which I'd not thought about before.

Because of this, and the fact outside temp / humidity appears to have an influence... i'm going to go with the auxilary belts maybe resonating around the 3-5k mark during decelaration.. maybe due to fluctuations in engine speed during decelaration with the gearbox forcing the engine around ?

The more I think about mine, its also very slightly on acceleration but its noway as noticable. Always at lower road speeds, although that may be a wind noise thing drowning it out. I can't answer for the OP... but pretty sure mine isn't actually gearbox... although originally I was concerned it was flywheel as I definately have the flywheel noise & judder when setting off when stone cold

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just took my car to the dealers with the same "whine", it is a faulty tensioner bearing that is making the noise. Have em check that out for you

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.