2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2009 CTR has developed a whirring sound when accelerating, its almost like the sound it makes when reversing only not as prominent and its constantly there all the way through the gears? it did it all the way into work this morning which is about 45 mins, 20 of which is motorway.

i know very little about cars so the simplest of explanations or advice/cost estimate would be great lol thanks!!

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil was checked a week and a half ago? could it be gearbox or something as its only when i accelerate/change gear etc

·
Its a cake, not a biscuit
2,046 Posts
Mines got the same, I think its the AUX belt or a bearing in one of the tensioners/pulleys.

The bit i'm talking about is the belt you can see on the left of the engine. Someone said to me it might be an idea of spraying some WD-40 on it to see if it goes away...obv this is only a very temp fix (mainly to confirm the diagnosis).

·
Banned
52 Posts
Yeah or driveshaft, wheel bearings.

Could be quite a few things.

Jack it up and test the wheel, rock it side to side and up and down. Shouldnt be any play.

also maybe a brake pad binding. test for this by jacking up and rotating the wheel, it should spin freely.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
I occasionally get this as well, usually only in second gear when I'm putting my foot down and again in second gear when deceleration at less than 20 mph. Just assumed it was normal tbh.

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
took it to a mechanic last nite, its the aux cable apparently. he said he needs to take it off to properly diagnose where its coming from, cant remember everything he said but at least i didnt hear 'gearbox' lol

Although while he was finding that out he noticed my clutch was going so he night aswell fix it while hes in there, sure who needs £350 anyway these days :(

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no idea mate, ive racked up 93k on the thing over 3 and a half years so i think its just more wear than a fault

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
I'm in the same club, twice asked Honda to diagnose it and twice had no luck! Next time shes in I'll try and get a sound clip of the noise so it can't mysteriously disappear when a mechanic goes near!

Not overly concerned, like others I've kinda assumed it's a characteristic (I only get it at or close to vtec in first and second on acceleration)

But would be cool to hear back if anyone gets a definite diagnosis...!

Cheers

Nick

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm in the same club, twice asked Honda to diagnose it and twice had no luck! Next time shes in I'll try and get a sound clip of the noise so it can't mysteriously disappear when a mechanic goes near!

Not overly concerned, like others I've kinda assumed it's a characteristic (I only get it at or close to vtec in first and second on acceleration)

But would be cool to hear back if anyone gets a definite diagnosis...!

Cheers

Nick
i think the mechanic told me it was a bearing on one of the pulleys, its not a big job he just has to take the band off and find out which one it is i think. But ill ask him what happened again when im lifting it and ill let ya know mate

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Cheers matey, that would be great

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just got the car back, i need a new tensioner apparently. I was told its not important, its not doing any damage and just wait until it gets worse and get it replaced then, hope this helps any people who are having the same deal :)

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no although he did say that the part is usually quite pricey so thats why he said wait til it gets worse

1 - 20 of 23 Posts