2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who uses the voice commands available (EX only?) to control the radio, satnav and climate control regularly?

While I use the HFT daily (except when the pairing goes "phut", and Ms. Honda tells me that pairing from the 'phone is not allowed... :confused: - I blame my Nokia 6260 for the lapses...), I have never experimented with the "hidden" buttons to run the other functions.

Everything falls to hand very easily with the "trad" knobs and buttons, and having shelled out for the option, I can't really see the use... The one thing that would be a boon, i.e. being able to vocally input a destination into the satnav (even letter by letter) does not exist.

Am I missing out on anything?

Maxbert

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have an EX, and I NEVER 'talk to it'.

I have tried .....at some length...... and its completely useless. About 1 command in 2 is OK when stationary, and 1 command in 3 or 4 when moving at speed. The failed ones get random responses that annoy and distract the driver, and in my view - verge on the dangerous as a stupid distraction. A pity, but there we are. It would have been better left off - as as it is at present, its an illustration of inadequate development before public launch.

As I have said before - fortunately - the 'normal' controls are well laid out - and work very well.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 3rd Honda- Although my steering wheel is on the "wrong" side (so closer to the mic.) and I assume the commands would work OK...

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
Not for me, except when 'showing it off' ;)
The controls are so easy to use and much quicker.

·
King of the rodeo
4,830 Posts
She's not great company really, Doesn't have a lot to say and when she does talk its usually gibberish. I don't really see the point, I mean its fun as a gimmick and a good feature to show off, but its so much quicker to do things by hand! Interesting Ford have dedicated a whole advertising campaign to the voice recognition in the Fiestas....

·
Registered
382 Posts
I guess I must be in real minority here based on this and comments in other threads.
First of all, the voice recognition works perfectly with my Yorkshire accent, and I now find that if I speak naturally rather than the over-pronunciation required when it was new, it actually works best.
Voice control is being pushed as a new safety feature due to not needing to take your eyes off the road and your hands off the steering wheel, but thats no good if it doesn't work right.
I find commands such as "CD Play" much easier than the 3 or 4 presses of the mode button to switch from radio to CD. Also the full automatic command for the climate is useful to get everything back to "standard" rather than the buttons and knobs.
Really useful Sat Nav commands are "go home", "traffic event list", and "directions".

Maybe I'm just lonely and need someone to talk to :(

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I use the voice control every now and then, since I had the fix done I am having absolutely no issues, works on the motorway, round town. Its great. I agree it is safer to use than take your eyes off the road, depending on the road, I use it more on country lanes than motorways.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Very rarely use it now as I get fed up of getting nonsense back. I think mine is a lot worse since I got the HFT fix done. It seemed to work better with the civinfo block of foam diy fix

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
I regularly use the lady to turn the heat up or down. Same with the radio for volume or to play Cd

·
Happy civic owner
535 Posts
I ask Tallulah to do the work for me, she is much more responsive since I had the HFT fix done. Probably because I don't need to shout and can speak normally.... My main problem is my passengers laugh when I say thank you to my car.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Has anyone actually tried thank you as a command, does it do anything, would be quite cool if it had manners, you thank it and it says "your welcome, just doing my job"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine asked me if I'd like a cup of tea once, I was driving at the time, and it would have been a silly idea....(Theres always one!)

·
Registered
336 Posts
You have to remember that to work you must use the exact command words.

For instance 'Play CD' is very different from 'CD Play' and will give either no result or something very unexpected.

When I do use it I have only found problems when I use the wrong command. On the motorway it is very useful for pick a radio station or turning the heater up/down or finding out how long it will take to get to the destination (which is not easy to read on the screen).

Ian

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Has anyone actually tried thank you as a command, does it do anything, would be quite cool if it had manners, you thank it and it says "your welcome, just doing my job"
I reckon that you said thank you and it ignored you, and you are worried about it.
I wouldn't worry too much it's only a machine.
By the way mine said "You're welcome, just doing my job!"

"The best years of a womans life are those ten years between 39 & 40!"

Charles H.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
the only one I use at all regularily is 'go home'

but then "read the HFT command list thread" keeps on slipping down my list of things to do...:oops:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I still talk to mine regularly as the novelty value makes it still enjoyable. However I think I would still use some commands, the key really is using the right commands as making it up or saying things in the wrong order just does not work.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
i use it 50% i think sime ok , pepole that say it dont understand them or its replie with gibarish , try to adjust the mic level makes lots of diffence . only thing that annoys me is usally when im showing pepole the commands it falis that annoys me but usally works ok ,

·
Registered
156 Posts
bloody thing

I Got My Civic Yesterday Second Hand Which Is A 2.2 Ex , My Phone Cant Find The Bluetooth In The Car And The Voice Reconition Thing Misunderstands My Words And Mistakes Phone For Fan No Matter How I Say It Is There Anything I Can Do To Sort It Out, It Would Ok If You Could Configure The Car So It Could Understand Your Voice And The Way You Say Things I Mean They Have It On Voice Reconition Systems For Computers

·
Registered
382 Posts
I Got My Civic Yesterday Second Hand Which Is A 2.2 Ex , My Phone Cant Find The Bluetooth In The Car And The Voice Reconition Thing Misunderstands My Words And Mistakes Phone For Fan No Matter How I Say It Is There Anything I Can Do To Sort It Out, It Would Ok If You Could Configure The Car So It Could Understand Your Voice And The Way You Say Things I Mean They Have It On Voice Reconition Systems For Computers
Are you sure you are pressing the phone button and not the voice command button? That is the most common mistake :)
The voice recognition is supposed to "learn". There is a thread in the "How To" section to set the microphone level and I believe this also resets what has been learned previously.
Mine works pretty well these days.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts